Secret to good pancakes?

madeley, Apr 12, 2:17am
So my pancakes always end up sticking to the frying pan and breaking up!What's thesecret to a good pancake!

miri_s, Apr 12, 2:30am
My tips

Don't have the element on too high - the pancake will stick when you attempt to flip it (or alternatively it will burn) if it cooks too quickly on the base.Medium High heat - but every element and pan is different, so you'll need to experiment with your equipment.

The batter should be slightly more viscous than single cream(edit: sorry, just clarifying that this is for crepes/unlevened pancakes.Obviously American style pancakes have a thicker batter.The thinner the batter, the hotter the pan seems to work for me).

Reserve a pan exclusively for the cooking of eggs, omelettes and batters, and don't use a scrubbing brush or detergent to clean it - wipe down with boiling water.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 2:32am
Melted butter in the batter. I use an old Margaret Fulton recipe ( which I am sure I have posted on the boards before) it makes beautiful pancakes. I use a good quality non-stick crepe pan.

books4nz, Apr 12, 5:52am
Also, mix the ingredients, cover and leave to stand for a good half hour, then cook them - the result is worth taking the time to make the mix earlier.

tarawera99, Apr 12, 6:53am
Yes I do the resting thing too.Seems to make a big difference.

thornton1961, Apr 12, 7:01am
a good non stick pan and hate to say it but the spray stuff works well, or use butter, some oils can make the pancakes stick .

edit. if your regularly making for a mob. a electric frying pan is good .

jaybee6, May 5, 10:18am
Never mix till smooth. Always have lumps left in the mixture as this allows the air to go through them making them rise really nicely. Hope this helps.