I've over salted my bacon bones soup.help?

hhb, May 2, 4:56am
I can't believe I have done this - put way too much salt in the most yummy looking soup that I have been slowly cooking all day in the crock pop-any thing I can put in to reduce the salty taste please anyone!I must watch this salt grinder - hard to measure roughly how much you are grinding. :-(

thejewellerybox, May 2, 5:01am
Common suggestion is potatoes to help absorb the salt.Can you try diluting it withwater, cream, milk or vegetable juices! Good luck!

245sam, May 2, 5:42am
hhb, just in case you don'talready know.

If you decide to try the potato option to rectify the saltiness problem with your soup, the potato(es) should be added whole so that it/they + the excess saltiness can be removed from the soup prior to serving it and for future batches I suggest that you add NO salt at all to soup made with bacon bones or hocks - depending, of course, on the size/quantity of bones/hocks and vegetables used, those meats usually provide sufficient salt without the need to add any more.

Hope that helps.:-))

kob, May 2, 5:55am
can you make dome doughboys or someting like that to float on the top and take the saltiness away, or add some bread to soak up the salt but dont eat it

aadunn77, May 2, 7:18am
Have you got any courgettes/zucchinis!I grate on the smallest grate into any stew, soup whatever if it's over salted, somehow it always works!!! Good luck

aadunn77, May 2, 7:19am
Oops, just relalised the time difference, haha.Maybe for thefuture

245sam, May 2, 10:05am
How was the soup hhb, and what did you do to 'fix' the over-saltiness!
:-))

janny3, Jul 12, 4:32am
Mine's still too salty - even after white beans, split pea and lentil mix, potatoes, crushed tomatoes, carrots.So next up is macaroni elbows.

kuaka, Jul 12, 9:03am
Why would you put salt in soup containing bacon bones!I don't put salt in my soup (at least not until I'm about to serve it), certainly wouldn't dream of adding salt if I was using bacon bones.

janny3, Jul 12, 4:16pm
Didn't salt my soup but I guess the bones were probably more salty than usual.Fixed with spuds, beans, macaroni, split peas.Phew!

miri_s, Jul 12, 4:28pm
As 245sam suggests, bacon hock based soup never needs salt.

In fact I would highly recommend that, before braising your hock, you soak it overnight in cold water, in order to draw out some of the excess salt from the meat.

Obviously you'll then throw out the briny water that the meat has soaked in.Don't use it for the braising process.

Edit:In case of sounding like a know-it-all, I've only learnt this by making exactly the same mistake!The potato/starchy-ingredient solution is probably your best fix it upper.