Buzzy110 Your advice please! TIA!!

Page 3 / 3
buzzy110, Apr 10, 10:59pm
I haven't touched on chips. Ooooh. They are very morish and easy. Usually I par cook (I have pots that steam so they come out quite firm still) agria potatoes (scrubbed or peeled - your choice), cool and slice into thickish chips. Toss them around in a small amount of oil, put them onto either the highest rack or the middle rack with a round cake rack on top and cook 180C or higher for 30mins.

My husband, who is not a big eater will devour as much as I can make. I get about 6, if I'm lucky.

Our local takeaway cooks chips from raw potatoes and they are often not quite cooked. Sometimes my husband buys a scoop, spreads them on a rack and cooks for a further 10mins. They go crispy crunchy and excess oils just drip away.

buzzy110, Apr 10, 11:04pm
Egg Plant - This is not most people's favourite food. That would be because those people who hate it don't know how to cook it properly and it really is vile if not properly cooked.

Easy Cook is great for egg plant. Peel or don't slice into either thick rounds or lengthwise, brush with olive oil and 'toast' till golden brown in your Easy Cook.

If you do them lengthwise you can put maybe a goat's cheese, parsley and lemon juice type filling, roll up, secure with a toothpick and try not to eat them all before you serve them up. Otherwise they make a good base, if further cut into wedges, for cheese snacks instead of boring old crisps. I have a gluten intolerant friend and serve eggplant snacks and salads all the time when she comes to stay.

lindylambchops1, Apr 11, 9:07am
Buzzy Agria's are the very best potatoes and the only ones I ever buy.Be great to cook chips by this method & not feel too guilty.Egg plant isn't something I buy but my daughter loves it.This is the Cooker I have been looking at & comparing with:http://shopping.nzherald.co.nz/convection-oven-cookers-delight-1400-watt-12-litre-multipurpose-cooker.aspx!prod=96784&cid=4164&rcid=988your comments would be appreciated.Thank you for your time & thoughts etc.

buzzy110, Apr 11, 9:57pm
I'm sorry lindylambchops1. I have no opinion on this cooker other than that it looks similar to an Easy Cook.

I bought my Easy cook when they first came onto the market many years ago and have used and used it ever since. In fact I used it to death and am now on my second one.

I don't know if I'd be prepared to swap to a Nu Wave oven when this oven goes on the blink. I've read numerous reviews and some are good and some are bad so can't really tell.

It really is your decision. $96 wouldn't break the bank at my place so I'd probably give it a punt. However, my reasoning would go thus:

Do I think, after reading all the information I can find, I'd use it enough to make the investment in space and money worthwhile!
Is it of a reasonable enough quality so that it will give me at least 10-12 years of trouble free operation! Check the warranty.
Will it endure handling mishaps - dropages, knocks on water taps, bangs, etc!
Does it actually cook food as it says it does! - I can only answer for Easy Cook and years of experience have honed my cooking skills in this unit only.
I (meaning you) should be aware that no matter what the sales pitch is, the unit does need to be cleaned. I (me) clean mine constantly and often use De-solv-it to get all the baked on grease off and put the racks in the dishwasher.
Am I strong enough to lift the lid and put it onto a rack! Actually the lid has the hardware and electrics in it and is quite weighty so test lift it. Remember to put the cooker onto a bench at the height it would be at home. You have to lift it from that height.
Because you have to lift the lid, ask yourself if you have enough 'head room' in the place you are going to use it.
Will I have room to leave it on my bench permanently! If you have to pull it out and pack it away after every use then you will use it less and less, unless you are totally sold on the product!

I think the last item is the most important. I don't use a microwave so my kitchen has room for my Easy cook instead. Plus I have a huge kitchen. But I have moved around quite a bit and had smaller kitchens as well. Usually I toss the mikey mouse unit and store other bench stuff in its place to make room for the Easy Cook.

lindylambchops1, Apr 12, 4:37am
ah now there is food for thought!Some points there I had not thought about.Thank you for bringing those to my attention.Yes I really need to see and feel one etc.So far I have only seen this on the net, not in the shops.Now I have to let my legs do the walking!Thanks again for your welcome advice.