Buzzy110 Your advice please! TIA!!

Page 1 / 3
lindylambchops1, Apr 8, 4:21am
buzzy110 wrote:

Ah yes. The crackling is amazing. Also does rack of lamb brilliantly. I basically only use mine to do roasts and bake vegetables and even then I still get to use it at least 3 or 4 times a week.

As I don't have a microwave, I also use it to reheat things. Just experiment. Whenever I am faced with something new, I just use my intelligence, work out which is the best way to cook or reheat something and do it that way. The way I do things will probably be completely different to anyone else'.

Oh by the way, oven bags and baking paper are my best friends.

That is the best advice I can give.

Buzzy I would love to know more about these cookers. I am contemplating buying one to eliminate the use of any oil or fats in my cooking/baking/roasting. Does it have a decent recipe book with it? What kinds of things do you cook in it? We prefer vegetables slightly crispy rather than well done. Do you have to cook each item separately meat first, then veg? or can you cook them altogether? What brand do you have? Seems to be a few on the market which vastly range in price. Look forward to your response. Many thanks.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 8:52pm
First off, I am really against the eliminating of oil and fats in cooking. The low fat message you have been receiving all these years is just plain wrong. You will be healthier with them in your food than with them out. Lecture over. Now on to the Ezi Cook.

There is another thread on here - Nu Wave or Ezi Cook you may want to peruse through as well. Apparently my somewhat jaded response to the question was somewhat unwelcome. Oh well.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 8:57pm
If you want to eliminate fats and oils then Ezi Cook (or possibly Nu Wave - I haven't got one of those so don't know anything about them) is definitely the way to go. Food is put onto a rack and all the fats and juices drip safely away. The mess is confined to your easy cook which is much easier to clean than an oven.

Personally, I still use oven bags which means I can drain the resultant fat and juices off, pour off the fat and I am left with a rich stock to use in the sauce, which I make using the roux method (butter, flour and hot stock) in a sauce pot but you do not have to do that.

I mentioned microwave in my posting. Personally I am against microwaves because what they do to food is disgusting in my opinion but that is only my opinion and if you want fat free that may be the way to go.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:00pm
When I cook roasts, or whatever in my Ezi Cook I actually seek out meats that still have a good layer of fat on them (e. g. lamb racks) because that is what gives the meat tenderness, succulence and flavour. Once the meat is cooked, then if you want fat free, you can throw the fat away (it rips off easily after cooking) but trust me, the crispy skin and fat are really hard to throw away as they are so delicious but if you want to deny yourself one of life's sheer pleasures then you can do it easily. Excess fats will be sitting safely in the bottom of your Ezi Cook.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:18pm
Mainly I use mine for any meats that you would naturally cook in an oven - roasts, racks (beef and lamb) and chickens. Roast/vegetables only take 30mins. I just rub them in a small bit of oil, but sometimes I don't even do that, just put them in dry. Still only takes 30 mins at 180C. Sometimes I just do roast vegetables, but when I am doing meat I put the vegetables in 30 mins before the end of the cooking time.

So for example - if I am cooking Size 13 chicken I put it into my cooker on the low rack (I use a bag but that isn't necessary) for 40mins at 180C. When it stops cooking I then balance a rack on top of the chicken and put the vegetables in and cook for a further 30 mins. Your chicken will be cooked to perfection and your vegetables will be crispy crunchy, or in the case of butternut, brown/black caramelised.

So, assuming you started cooking your chicken first then began preparing the vegetables for roasting and your greens for steaming, (which you put on 10mins before the end of the cooking time for the meat) and allowed 5-10mins to make the sauce at the end, you can have a full, succulent roast dinner in 1:20. You may even be rushing to finish your preparations before your meat is cooked.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:20pm
I nearly forgot. I love my chicken with lemon. To do this I take a lemon, and if you have access to Lisbon lemon that is the ultimate, slice it, salt the slices and slip them in between the skin and the flesh. Excess lemons can be stuffed into the cavity.

The cooker browns the lemons as well and they can be eaten with the meat. Yum.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:26pm
Things like lamb racks only take 40 - 45mins @ 180C on the mid rack (I put another cake rack on top of that because it is not really big enough to hold 2 lamb racks).

Just salt your racks or whatever goo you want to put on the lamb, interlock them and put on the mid height rack. Put your potatoes and/or butternut/pumpkin/kumara/courg-
ettes/little red onions/whole garlic &etc around the racks or on the highest rack (which you have to put in as well) and set for 40 mins. Test and cook a further 5mins if you don't want it pink and prefer it grey and you are done.

All the fat collected on the bottom of your Ezi Cook for later removal to your recycled yoghurt container to go out in the next rubbish collection.

Easy.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:28pm
Lamb chops take even less time (20 - 30 mins) so you have to put your veg in first. Lamb cutlets - well no more than 15mins so same with veg.

I still pan fry my fish because fish needs careful cooking, all except salmon, which cooks up really well in the Ezi Cook.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:35pm
A word of caution here. The Ezi Cook doesn't cook everything. Somethings are still best done another way. Meals that you would cook in a pot (legumes, stews, casseroles, steamed chicken, &etc) are still best cooked in pots.

I nearly forgot, bready snacks like pizza and cheese on toast (and variations on those themes, reheating savouries, etc are brilliant in the Ezi Cook.

I just prefer it because it is quicker than any oven and confines all mess to one glass bowl. I just hate cleaning ovens. I did it for 30+ years and Don't plan on doing it ever again. The only thing I cook in my oven now are baking, my precious sour dough breads and buns and large Roasts mutton and whole baked, stuffed salmon. I have also bought a tagine which will probably have to go into the oven as well, maybe, I think, well it depends on whether I can put it onto an element!

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:39pm
It comes with a recipe book but I don't bake in mine though I have a friend who is the best pavlova maker I have ever met (besides myself of course - I'm so modest) and she makes hers in her Ezi Cook now and they turn out fantastic.

The reason I don't bake in mine is because I hardly ever bake and when I do go to all the effort, I haven't yet been prepared to experiment. Also most of the baking recipes in the booklet involve pre-mixes. I have never used one of those in my life and probably never will. There may be things in the pre-mixes that make them perfect for Ezi Cook. I don't know but someone else may.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 9:48pm
Cheers. If I think of anything else, will drop in here and add to thread.

buzzy110, Apr 8, 10:00pm
Just thought of something else. In the other thread people have mentioned that the copy is just as good as the real one. Probably it is when it comes to cooking. The difference is probably in the quality of the glass bowl. The Ezi Cook bowl is scalloped which makes it much tougher and sturdier than the copy. Drop the glass bowl and it won't break. It would take a hammer blow to chip or crack the original.

I don't know about you but my kitchen is well used and I don't do the washing up mostly. That is left to my husband who can be less than gentle, so the sturdier the better.

uli, Apr 8, 11:49pm
OMG - sooo much info here -
So am bumping up for lindylambchops1

Wouldn't have had a clue what is available other than stainless pots and steel frypans LOL :)

eastie3, Apr 9, 3:07am
Very interesting info buzzy, I also thank you.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 5:31am
Well I have just done my first experiment, born from necessity. Due to having a lot of loaves to cook, I didn't have anywhere to cook my sour dough buns so I cooked them in my Ezi Cook (actually they are called Easy Cook so will refer to them at that in future). They came out just fine. They would have been better if I had remembered to put a little heatproof jug of water in the cooker as well, but otherwise the buns turned out just as well as if I'd done them in the oven.

Amazing.

lindylambchops1, Apr 9, 5:37am
Buzzy1 my sincere thank you's for all that information & time spent on replying to my question. You have covered everything possible and it is much appreciated. I was wondering about the quality of the cheaper ones. I am looking at the Cookers Delight which normally retails at $234. 38 but I have found a special offer on it. Bench space could be a problem, but if I get organized! I agree and realize the value of fats in the diet. In fact I love a bit of fat! I am printing out your reply to read over a few times. Do you think it would be large enough for a family of 4, pretty much 4 adults! If it saves money electricity wise then I feel this is the way to go for the evening meals. Many many thanks again! XXXX

lindylambchops1, Apr 9, 9:24am
Buzzy1 big thank you for all your help!

lindylambchops1, Apr 9, 9:24am
ooops Buzzy 110

buzzy110, Apr 9, 10:54pm
buzzy is fine. I haven't seen the one you mentioned. However, Easy Cook now put out 3 different sizes. Personally I think the medium size one is perfect for 4. I have regularly cooked up amazing food for up to 6 adults in my medium sized Easy Cook.

Like I said in the post you quoted, your intelligence is your best kitchen aid ever. Use that and everything else just falls into place, especially when it comes using the Easy Cook and which level of rack to use, whether to use an oven bag or not and when to use, or not to use baking paper. For instance I use baking paper to cook my salmon and used it yesterday to bake my bread buns but don't use it for baked/roast vegetables or making chips.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 10:59pm
I haven't touched on chips. Ooooh. They are very morish and easy. Usually I par cook (I have pots that steam so they come out quite firm still) agria potatoes (scrubbed or peeled - your choice), cool and slice into thickish chips. Toss them around in a small amount of oil, put them onto either the highest rack or the middle rack with a round cake rack on top and cook 180C or higher for 30mins.

My husband, who is not a big eater will devour as much as I can make. I get about 6, if I'm lucky.

Our local takeaway cooks chips from raw potatoes and they are often not quite cooked. Sometimes my husband buys a scoop, spreads them on a rack and cooks for a further 10mins. They go crispy crunchy and excess oils just drip away.

buzzy110, Apr 9, 11:04pm
Egg Plant - This is not most people's favourite food. That would be because those people who hate it don't know how to cook it properly and it really is vile if not properly cooked.

Easy Cook is great for egg plant. Peel or don't slice into either thick rounds or lengthwise, brush with olive oil and 'toast' till golden brown in your Easy Cook.

If you do them lengthwise you can put maybe a goat's cheese, parsley and lemon juice type filling, roll up, secure with a toothpick and try not to eat them all before you serve them up. Otherwise they make a good base, if further cut into wedges, for cheese snacks instead of boring old crisps. I have a gluten intolerant friend and serve eggplant snacks and salads all the time when she comes to stay.

lindylambchops1, Apr 10, 9:07am
Buzzy Agria's are the very best potatoes and the only ones I ever buy. Be great to cook chips by this method & not feel too guilty. Egg plant isn't something I buy but my daughter loves it. This is the Cooker I have been looking at & comparing with:http://shopping.nzherald.co.nz/convection-oven-cookers-delig
ht-1400-watt-12-litre-multipurpose-cooker. aspx? prod=96784&am
p;cid=4164&rcid=988your comments would be appreciated. Thank you for your time & thoughts etc.

buzzy110, Apr 10, 9:57pm
I'm sorry lindylambchops1. I have no opinion on this cooker other than that it looks similar to an Easy Cook.

I bought my Easy cook when they first came onto the market many years ago and have used and used it ever since. In fact I used it to death and am now on my second one.

I don't know if I'd be prepared to swap to a Nu Wave oven when this oven goes on the blink. I've read numerous reviews and some are good and some are bad so can't really tell.

It really is your decision. $96 wouldn't break the bank at my place so I'd probably give it a punt. However, my reasoning would go thus:

Do I think, after reading all the information I can find, I'd use it enough to make the investment in space and money worthwhile?
Is it of a reasonable enough quality so that it will give me at least 10-12 years of trouble free operation? Check the warranty.
Will it endure handling mishaps - dropages, knocks on water taps, bangs, etc?
Does it actually cook food as it says it does? - I can only answer for Easy Cook and years of experience have honed my cooking skills in this unit only.
I (meaning you) should be aware that no matter what the sales pitch is, the unit does need to be cleaned. I (me) clean mine constantly and often use De-solv-it to get all the baked on grease off and put the racks in the dishwasher.
Am I strong enough to lift the lid and put it onto a rack? Actually the lid has the hardware and electrics in it and is quite weighty so test lift it. Remember to put the cooker onto a bench at the height it would be at home. You have to lift it from that height.
Because you have to lift the lid, ask yourself if you have enough 'head room' in the place you are going to use it.
Will I have room to leave it on my bench permanently? If you have to pull it out and pack it away after every use then you will use it less and less, unless you are totally sold on the product?

I think the last item is the most important. I don't use a microwave so my kitchen has room for my Easy cook instead. Plus I have a huge kitchen. But I have moved around quite a bit and had smaller kitchens as well. Usually I toss the mikey mouse unit and store other bench stuff in its place to make room for the Easy Cook.

lindylambchops1, Apr 11, 4:37am
ah now there is food for thought! Some points there I had not thought about. Thank you for bringing those to my attention. Yes I really need to see and feel one etc. So far I have only seen this on the net, not in the shops. Now I have to let my legs do the walking! Thanks again for your welcome advice.

tarshlove, Mar 15, 3:14am
Bumping for Buzzy
Have you used to cook pork before?