Old Kenwood or new Breville scraper?

tonsta2, Apr 29, 12:28am
Am in the market for a cake mixer, having always used a hand held one, think ive narrowed it down to a Breville Scraper (Briscoes!) or a Kenwood Chef (buy 2nd hand off TM)
Just wondering
A. If you have a Breville Scraper 470601794 what do you think of it!
and
B. If you have a Kenwood Chef, is it an older metal looking one (470863841) or a plastic newer one (470176907) and what do you think of it!
I have to admit i would love a kitchenaid (love the look - how shallow of me!) but dont really bake enough to justify the spend.
Any advice would be GREAT - im only just starting to bake seriously and would like something that i hopefully wont have to replace for years and years and years.

falcon-hell, Apr 29, 1:03am
i have a breville scraper-but the larger model,i did have issues with it,because the scraper kept hitting the side of the bowl unevenly,i rang breville and they simply replaced it,i really love it,and use it heaps.

rayoz, Apr 29, 2:22am
Hi, I was given the large Breville scraper mixer and honestly I would much prefer the kenwood. I find the scraper does not scrape the bowl efficiently as I expected it would, I have to stop the process, raise the head and scrape the bowl manually. I would love a Kenwood Major, older machine but the best I think. Good luck !

cookessentials, Apr 29, 3:00am
Older Kenwood would be preferable. All depends on whether you like a belt driven machine.

macandrosie, Apr 29, 3:28am
Kenwood mixers are really reliable, I inherited my mother in laws one, t's about 35 years old & still going well. I have done a huge amount of baking with it. It has the bigger motor too.

nauru, Apr 29, 6:52am
I agree, I have a Kenwood Chef 701A model which was originally my MIL's too and it's45+ years old.It's still going strong, never had a problem and it's been well used over the years both by me and my MIL. I did replace the original Kenlite bowl for a SS one many years ago.

cookessentials, Apr 29, 6:54am
Yes, the old ones are.the new ones not so.

donnabeth, Apr 30, 10:32pm
Mine is also an inherited oldie and far superior to my old Sunbeam-which incidentally still goes well and is a good machine.
I like the idea of the side scraper because it is awkward to regularly lift the head and scrape the mixture back down the sides on the Kenwood; something that could be done with the old Sunbeam as it turned.

cookessentials, Apr 30, 11:00pm
A bigger motor does not make it more efficient. Lower wattage and more thorough mixing is what you want which is why I have a KitchenAid and why it is the choice of many professional chefs. Someone has already commented in regards to how noisy they can be, this is because they are belt driven and they have to run at high speed to turn the belt. Direct drive and gear driven is the only way to go IMO.

camper18, May 1, 12:51am
Still using my 50yr old Kenwood but had the experience of a recent model at a friends last week and would hesitate to buy one if I had to. They are just so light and plasticy and didn't do near as good a job as my oldie. The Majors and Kitchen Aid may be OK as they are probably heavier.

nzrose7, May 1, 1:55am
Kenwood reliable, and if you can get the extra attachments, even better.they have potato peelers, bean slicers, juicer separator, citrus juicer, mincer, etc.