How do you cook steak tender for a chow mein

jaymez1, Apr 30, 1:06pm
mine always end up chewy/rubbery

mopeds, Apr 30, 1:56pm
Your need a really hot wok and really hot gas burner to keep it hot so it cooks very fast in 10 - 20 seconds, if its rubbery its generally overcooked.

korbo, Apr 30, 7:58pm
what sort of steak do you use. I am useless at stirfries, but love it at a chinese resturant. I think they use schnizel and marinate it to get tender. any ideasgreatly wanted.

korbo, Apr 30, 7:58pm
same with their chicken. usually melts in your mouth.

prawn_whiskas, Apr 30, 9:09pm
Its called 'Velveting' the meat by using corn starch and other ingredients.

Here is an old thread I found about it for you.
http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-28285.html

prawn_whiskas, Apr 30, 9:12pm
They use the cheapest cut they can get.I usually use Chuck for velveting.FYI a lot of Chinese/Asian restaurants/Takeaway actually use HORSE meat as the "beef" also so you need to either know your local well or question them well (that's if they will answer you in English!)

antoniab, Apr 30, 9:29pm
I dont have a problem eating horse :)

245sam, Apr 30, 9:43pm
jaymez1 and korbo, we usually use skirt steak and I take particular care to slice it, thinly, across the grain, then after marinating it for as long as possible (i.e. a few hours, not days), the meat is very quickly cooked on as high heat as possible - we have an electric wok.

Having stir-fried meat that is anything other than meltingly tender is a rarity so I hope this helps you both to achieve the same.:-))

rarogal, Apr 30, 10:16pm
And cook the meat in small lots at a time, if the meat gets to bubble in its juices it will toughen.

korbo, Apr 30, 10:34pm
thanks for your info. going to try the egg white method too.
thinking of investing in an electric wok, just need to find a space to keep it.lol.

beaker59, May 1, 12:46am
Where on earth would they get horse meat from!

I'd love to get some for myself :)

beaker59, May 1, 12:49am
For my own stir fries I take a reasonable quality steak like a rump steak then fry whole in a fry pan rest well then slice finely and add to veges just before serving. Not the usual way but I prefer it as the meat is much nicer.

prawn_whiskas, May 1, 1:08am
Pet food suppliers!

fisher, May 1, 4:01am
I have been extolling this process since time began.lol.but you dont need to go through this whole drama.I use schnitzel and simply cut it into strips. Light dusting of baking sodaand a gentle pat. Leave for 2-3 hours and then WASH it off.pat all dry and your ready to go. Just stir fry quickly, little peanut oil, high heat till 2/3 cooked. undercooking is really required here.remember its just THIN STEAK.remove. do veges and add meat for the last process of the stir fry.

bookshelves, May 1, 5:22am
Fry it quickly in a really hot pan . then remove. Add back to the dish at the end . I do this with chicken strips too. Gone are the days when I used to add meat to a stirfry type dish first and leave it in .

rainrain1, May 1, 5:36am
This is way I do mine and never had a problem with toughness

malcovy, May 1, 6:05am
2 tbspns soy sauce
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 clove garlic, crushed
Add sieved baking soda to soy sauce and mix well and add garlic.Brush over steak and leave for up to 2 hours.Or add marinade to sliced steak and leave for 1/2 hour at room temperature.When ready to cook do not rinse off marinade.
I have used this for a while now and it really is successful.I used to use baking soda which worked a treat but found the above recipe much easier and tastier.