Using dried tomatoes

gdnshack, Apr 27, 4:31am
I had a glut of cherry toms this summer so went out and bought a dehydrator.They took ages to dry out in the machine but were still a bit pliable when I took them out.I packed them in a plastic bag and put them in the deep freeze.Anyway I've tried "reconstituting" them like putting them in boiling water for 30 mins or microwaving them and while they are edible they just don't taste that nice.The ones I left in the dehydrator a bit longer just went brown and dried up so I think I gave the rest enough time.Perhaps they are only good to use in cooking now!Can anyone help me with this please!

jag5, Apr 27, 4:51am
I use mine as a salad.defrost.then add to olive oil along with crushed garlic, salt and pepper, and crumbled feta.delicious.

Not sure why you had some go brown.tomatoes don't go brown.maybe you have over done them.if too dry they don't reconstitute that well, if at all.I tend to under dry my toms then store in the freezer.

fifie, Apr 27, 6:04am
Sounds like you over done some if they have gone brown, with them i'd use for cooking defrost use in pastas, stews, some soups, savoury muffins, bread etc. Ones not so dry do as jag says in oil with feta, yum in salads, on crackers, and use the oil for salad dressings i add basil to mine sometimes. Do heaps and i prefer the bigger slices and sprinkle with little brown sugar helps hold them together,S/P, sometimes herbs if i have some makes them all great tasting,don't over dry watch closely last while.

gdnshack, Apr 27, 6:07am
Thanks for your replies.There was only a couple that "overdried" and went a bit brown in the dehydrator.The majority were quite pliable.It seems like they are better used with other ingredients in cooking because they just don't taste as good as they are freshly picked.

fisher, Apr 27, 11:51am
what brand dehydrator did you buy !