TRIPE N ONIONS

izanani, Apr 10, 9:19am
has any lufferly cook out there got a good recipe for this oh so tasty dish. I am so wanting to feast on this. havnt had it for years and mine is always like tough boot leather. thanks

roshu, Apr 10, 9:22am
*grabs peg for nose*

olwen, Apr 10, 9:25am
I remember many years ago being in a private hospital which was run by nuns at the time.Creamed tripe was on the breakfast menu, and was so tender and lovely.I need the secret too.

jessie981, Apr 10, 9:39am
pop into the lefthand message board, recipes there.

fifie, Apr 10, 10:04am
i just simmer tripe 1-11/2 hours till cooked drain cut into chunks. Pan fry onion slices, make a creamy white sauce well seasoned put it all together heat through well,OR throw in Crock pot with onions, carrots cook then make a sauce. Either way must serve it over a heap of mashed spuds, and don't overcook as it becomes tough.Mmmm usually have a feed in winter all to myselfMr thinks i'm nuts lol.

elliehen, Apr 10, 10:10am

elliehen, Apr 10, 10:13am
TESSELATED TRIPE TERRINE

Ingredients

1 large honeycomb tripe (about 500 gm)
half cup chopped bacon or ham
1 red capsicum
1 bunch of English spinach
500 gm good minced pork (plenty of fat)
100 gm chopped chicken livers
half cup mixed Chinese mushrooms (soaked and sliced)
10 or so stoned kalamata olives, halved
six garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 egg
good splash of ouzo (or pastis)
bunch of cos lettuce, blanched
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp crushed chilli
salt to taste
oil for terrine

Method

Prepare ingredients. Soften spinach, drain, squeeze dry and chop. Set aside. Slice tripe into long strips, boil and soak in milk (about 20 minutes), dry, and set aside. Blanch capsicum and slice thinly, set aside.
Combine in large mixing bowl the mince, chopped bacon/ham, chicken livers, olives, mushrooms, garlic, spices, oil, ouzo and break in the egg. Mix together (hands are best). Set aside for 10 minutes or so.
Bring oven up to 150 deg C. Add boiling water to deep baking dish or similar so it would half cover immersed terrine
Oil terrine. Line it, first with cos lettuce leaves, then with strips of tripe (sufficient to overlap top of terrine).
Lay down layer of mince mixture and press down firmly.
Lay down a layer of tripe strips and capsicum.
Add another mince layer, press down. Lay down second layer of tripe strips and a later of chopped spinach.
Fill to top (and higher than terrine) with remaining mince mixture.
Press down gently (keeping some above level of terrine)
Overlap the raised top with the loose tripe strips and cover with cos lettuce leaves
Cover terrine with sheet of foil, coming down on all sides.
Secure with elastic band or tight string.
Place in oven in baking dish, ensuring water comes at least halfway up the terrine.
Bake in 150 deg C oven for one and a half hours.
Remove and place brick or other heavy object on top of raised mixture.
Leave to cool (several hours at least, even overnight).
Place in fridge and keep for at least 24 hours (preferably longer ) before unveiling and serving

whitehead., Apr 11, 12:18am
haveyou seen the price of tripe its nolonger a cheap meal

izanani, Apr 11, 2:07am
wow thanks everyone.

imrae1, Apr 11, 4:11am
Many years ago I did a Tripe n Onions dinner at our local club once a month. I found the preasure cooker a great tool to cook tripe in. Then make white sauce adding some of the juice from the onions. put altogether and simmer gently about 30 mins. Serve with mashed taties and peas. The kids would leave home that day and eat at friends.

whitehead., Apr 11, 4:39am
one of my kids used to leave home too but he did not mind liver so he got that

elliehen, Apr 11, 5:08am
The Tesselated Tripe Terrine came from another Tripe Club in Australia.It seems you are not alone, izanani.

Maybe you could start a New Zealand chapter!