Ideas for chickpeas?

Page 1 / 2
olishea, Mar 20, 10:50pm
Loving them but not sure what else to do with them! ideas ! :)

cappucino1, Mar 20, 11:03pm
Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry with Baby Spinach

Ingredients

1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 TBSP tomato paste
415 g canned peeled tomatoes, pureed
1 ½ cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained
320 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into small pieces
Salt (optional)
2 TBSP fresh coriander, chopped
100 g baby spinach leaves

Method

Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.

Mix in the chilli powder, coriander, cumin, tomato paste, pureed tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Stir well.

Add the chickpeas and pumpkin pieces and bring to the boil. Adjust the flavour with a little salt if desired.

Reduce the heat and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin is just tender.

Add the coriander and baby spinach leaves and simmer for a few minutes until leaves just start to wilt.

Serve the curry on top of steamed basmati rice and garnish with extra coriander leaves, and a pappadum.

Serves 4

Note:You can change the veges according to taste eg could use kumara instead of pumpkin.

YUM!

Edited to say you could also try this website

http://www.chickpearecipes.com/

tam39, Mar 20, 11:14pm
I love chickpeas and have just had some for lunch with a lettuce salad.

olishea, Mar 20, 11:20pm
Cappucino1, Yum! Looks like dinner for tomoro night, thanks!
Tam, do u cook them at all first!

darlingmole, Mar 20, 11:31pm
hummus - blend juice from a fresh lemon, garlic, and can of chickpeas (you don't need the tahini paste)

olishea, Mar 21, 12:15am
thanks, i have never got round to making hummus because have never had tahini lying around

elliehen, Mar 21, 12:17am
I make this one, from Alison Holst:

CHICKPEA & SPINACH CURRY

This is a great vegetarian meal. It makes an easy and delicious meal on its own.

For 4 large servings:

2 tsp canola oil
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
2 to 3 medium potatoes, or 250g kumara
cut into 1cm cubes
2 to 3 tsp curry powder (mild or hot to taste)
1/2 to 1 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
2 to 3 bay leaves
250g package frozen spinach, thawed
400g can whole tomatoes in juice
310g can chickpeas, drained
1/4 to 1/2 cup water, if required
2 tsp garam masala
2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and stirfry until the onion has softened and is turning clear. Add the cubed potatoes or kumara, curry powder, cumin seeds (if using) and bay leaves. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the spinach with its liquid and the tomatoes in juice. Crush and break up the tomatoes, then stir in the drained chickpeas.

Simmer the mixture gently for 15 minutes, or until the potato cubes are tender, adding a little water if the mixture begins to look too dry. When the potatoes are cooked, add the garam masala, season to taste, and add the chopped coriander leaves.

For a simple meal serve the curry in bowls as it is, alternatively, serve with plain rice.

Note: For best colour and flavour, use canned tomatoes from Italy.

Approx nutritional analysis per serve without rice
Energy 942 KJ, 224 kcals, Fat 7g, Carbohydrate 26g

From Very Easy Vegetarian, New Holland Publishing

olishea, Mar 21, 12:20am
yum, very similar to a sagwala i make often, never thought of adding chickpeas. cheers!

rainrain1, Mar 21, 12:24am
Put them in a cous cous salad, the two textures make interesting eating

patsy3, Mar 21, 4:07am
A bit of peanut butter does the trick if no tahini

zuggle, Mar 21, 4:20am
The Alison Holst one is a firm favourite of mine.

ruby19, Mar 21, 5:36am
There are a few ideas on the vegetarian recipes topic. I just posted haisa moroccan soup which includes chickpeas. Justnfinished eating the batch i made :-)
I also use them in couscius salads. I love them in the spicy chick pea and aubergine

Really nice salad, used sour cream & mint for the sauce as I had no yogurt.Grilled aubergines with spicy chickpeas & walnut sauce 4 tbsp olive oil 1 onion , finely chopped 1 red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped 2cm piece ginger , finely chopped ½ tsp each ground cumin , coriander and cinnamon 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained 200g tomatoes , chopped juice ½ lemon 2 aubergines , sliced lengthwaysWalnut Sauce 200g tub Greek-style yogurt 1 garlic clove , crushed 25g walnuts , chopped handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the onion and fry until soft and lightly browned, about 10 mins. Add the chilli, ginger and spices and mix well. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes and 5 tbsp water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins. Add a little salt and pepper and the lemon juice. Arrange the aubergines over a grill pan. Brush lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then grill until golden. Flip them over, brush again with oil, season and grill again until tender and golden. Mix the yogurt with the garlic, most of the walnuts and coriander and a little salt and pepper. Arrange the aubergine slices over a warm platter and spoon over the chickpea mix. Drizzle with the walnut sauce and scatter with the remaining walnuts and coriander.

leebee35, Mar 21, 5:41am
I smash them up with the potatoe masher, add spices, grated carrot, herbs.and maybe an egg to bind.then roll into patties.pan fry and you have the yummiest veggie pattie.

frances1266, Mar 21, 6:18am
Felafel using soaked not cooked chickpeas are the best.You can roast them in oil and garlic until crispy - yummy,Hummus is always good.
Curries also - the Alison Holst one is really good.They make a lovely salad i.e. Julie le Clerc's chickpea and sundried tomato salad is delicious.

andrew22, Mar 22, 8:21am
Best thing to do with chickpeas is make falafel :D.

davidt4, Mar 22, 8:41pm
Braised Silverbeet & Chick Peas with Onion and Tahini Sauce

Serves 4 – 6

2onions finely sliced
½ tsp salt
125 ml olive oil

large bunch silverbeet (leaves)
2 c cooked chick peas
50 ml olive oil
½ onion diced
1 clove garlic
1 tab coriander seeds roasted
1 tsp ground cumin

2 lemons
salt & pepper

1 clove garlic crushed with ¼ tsp salt
125 ml tahini
100 ml lemon juice (or more)
cold water
paprika

Break up onions with salt and combine well.Leave 15 min, rinse and squeeze water out.Heat oil to smoking hot and fry onions 8 – 10 min until brown.Drain.

Shred silverbeet.Heat oil and saute onion & garlic until soft.Crush coriander, add to pan with silverbeet, chick peas, lemon juice, salt & pepper.Cover and cook 20 min, remove lid to evaporate liquid.

Mix garlic with tahini, then lemon juice, thin with water to pouring cream consistency.Check acidity and salt - should be very lemony.

Pour sauce over silverbeet, then onions, sprinkle with paprika.

davidt4, Mar 22, 8:43pm
Chick Pea Curry

Feeds 4. 

2-3 tablespoons ghee or butter

2 cloves

2 green cardamon seeds

2 pieces of cinnamon 

1 medium onion (finely chopped) 

2 cm ginger (peeled and finely chopped)

3-4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped) 

½ teaspoon turmeric 

1 teaspoon coriander powder 

¼ teaspoon cumin powder 

½ teaspoon garam masala 

½-1 teaspoon extra hot chilli powder 

1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes 

250g chick peas, soaked and cooked (or 2 x 400g tins chick peas, drained) 
1 x tablespoon chopped fresh coriander (optional) 

Heat oil in pan, adding cloves, cardamon and cinnamon. Wait until they start to make a popping noise. 
Add onion, ginger and garlic and fry them until they turn brown. (It is important you wait until they are brown - it makes a huge difference to the taste of the curry.) 
Add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin, garam masala and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to avoid sticking.
Add tomatoes and cook until they reduce. 
Add chick peas and cook for about 10 minutes until the oil separates out a bit. 
Add chopped coriander. 
Serve with rice

elliehen, Mar 22, 9:34pm
Thanks for these two.I've copied them to the long-running Vegetarian Recipe Thread where they're less likely to be lost.

bella430, Mar 29, 10:50am
Spicy chickpea salad (!Annabel Langbein!) This is a family favourite. I can't get enough of it! Serves 4-6 as side salad.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add 2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed, and 2 tsp each of cumin seeds, fennel seeds and curry powder. Sizzle for 1-2 minutes. Add 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or two 400g cans, drained), and stir over medium heat for a minute or two. Cool, then add 2 tbsp lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced, 1 spring onion, thinly sliced and half a cup of cashews, chopped.

jimmy2102, Mar 29, 7:29pm
Yummy salad recipe
Roast 3cm cubes of pumpkin with ground cummin and coriander s+p.
Cool. Add drained chickpeas, fresh coriander and preserved lemon. Dress with olive oil and lenon juice.

cookessentials, Mar 29, 8:59pm
I often do two vegetarian curry recipes ( both using a tikka masala paste) This one has potato in it, I use the mini gourmet potatoes, cut in half, rather than larger ones in chunks. I also swap the chickpeas for cannelini beans too.
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
80g Pataks masala pasteOr Aisan Home Gourmet
400g can chopped tomatoes
1½ cups vegetable stock
1½ cups potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 cups cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
1 cup frozen peas
Fresh coriander, to garnish

In a large saucepan/Stockpot heat the oil and gently sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring,
for another minute, until fragrant.

Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and potatoes, bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add the chickpeas and cauliflower and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Add the peas and simmer for a further 3 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.

Sprinkle with coriander.

cookessentials, Mar 29, 9:00pm
The other one I do has cubed aubergine and pumpkin. let me know if you would like that too.

cappucino1, Mar 20, 11:03pm
Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry with Baby Spinach

Ingredients

1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 TBSP tomato paste
415 g canned peeled tomatoes, pureed
1 ½ cups cooked or canned chickpeas, drained
320 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into small pieces
Salt (optional)
2 TBSP fresh coriander, chopped
100 g baby spinach leaves

Method

Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.

Mix in the chilli powder, coriander, cumin, tomato paste, pureed tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Stir well.

Add the chickpeas and pumpkin pieces and bring to the boil. Adjust the flavour with a little salt if desired.

Reduce the heat and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin is just tender.

Add the coriander and baby spinach leaves and simmer for a few minutes until leaves just start to wilt.

Serve the curry on top of steamed basmati rice and garnish with extra coriander leaves, and a pappadum.

Serves 4

Note:You can change the veges according to taste eg could use kumara instead of pumpkin.

YUM!

Edited to say you could also try this website

http://www.chickpearecipes.com/

elliehen, Mar 30, 9:02am
Bumping a very useful about-to-disappear thread :-)

shop-a-holic, Mar 30, 9:09am
You've got to be kidding me.