Veggie Soup in Crockpot.

stitchbird3, Mar 25, 11:56pm
I am about to make a big crockpot of veggie soup, with gravy beef, pearl barley, split peas, lentils and veg in the crockpot.I have a feeling that split peas, and even diced carrots do not cook very well in a crockpot - they remain hard.Has anyone tried these ingredients in crockpot soup, and are they successfully blended in!

ibcreative, Mar 26, 12:06am
I have made it without any problems. I don't remember the carrots or the split peas being hard.

pheebs1, Mar 26, 12:52am
should be fine i always have them in my chicken and vege soup in the crockpot
for me the trick is to put it on after dinner and leave it on low all night you wake up to a meltingly heaven filled soup!
lentils and all those grains need time so dont rush it
we have been known to have hot soup for breakfast on a cold morning when its done!
i bet its healthier than cocopops!

pheebs1, Mar 26, 12:56am
i put in carrots celery pumpkin onions leeks a packet of country chicken soup mix a couple of packets of chicken soup the meat of 5 chicken thighs roasted in garlic and herb salt prior and about 3-4 litres of water the trick for me to have a great soup with lots to munch on but a gorgeous clear golden broth- no potatoe
it just makes for thick wallpaper glue
bleech
when i do this in my 5litre crockpot i have about 20 containers full in my freezer
yum!

keysie, Mar 26, 2:51am
Is this all that goes in it, no barley. Hubby doesn't like barley. Thanks

fifie, Mar 26, 4:15am
Veg Soup
1 medium onion finely sliced or chopped
2 medium carrots grated
piece pumpkinchopped
leek chopped
celery chopped use whatever vegs you have.
2 oxobeef cubes,
black pepper no salt
3.5 litres water approx
Packet of soup mix.
Any beef bones in freezer! Put in 2- 4 depending on size.
Cook all day on low take out bones, pull any meat off them put back in soup discard bones taste add more seasoning if needed. If you have beef stock in the freezer use that instead of cubes.

pheebs1, Mar 26, 9:23am
i think those soup mixes have barley in them but you could get one that doesnt

retailgirl, Mar 26, 8:26pm
I'm just cooking a big batch now saute onion, garlic, cougette's, celery and bacon bits then add pumpkin, carots and I like a potato popped in mine then I add chicken stock, ginger, freshly ground black pepper and a little salt.
All of the recipes above sound lovely.
I make enough for four nights at once and freeze inside a freezerbag popped into an ice cream container.When they are frozen they stack better to save room.