Muffins and cupcakes disasters

52many, Mar 23, 5:12am
Right, I am over stuffing up muffins and cupcakes. Don't get me wrong, they taste awesome, the flavour is good, texture etc.but why oh why do they always form mountain tips! I think it could be because I am a very heavy handed cook and overmix! I have tried to be light handed but I end up being heavy handed.I usually use a spoon, wooden or otherwise to mix.would a fork help! Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

ange164, Mar 23, 5:35am
peaks are a result of overmixing usually, you're right there. You could try popping on a food glove and mixing with your cupped hand. That method worked all right for me in the cafe.

52many, Mar 23, 7:06am
Hmmmmm nevr thought of that ange164.thanks for that.will try next time!

lulu239, Mar 25, 4:12am
I use a spatula to mix muffins. I slide it down the side and gently get to the dry stuff. It's worth a try.

kimkat1, Mar 26, 6:22am
Also if my oven is too hot they peak. try turning it down just a little.

luckyduck, Mar 26, 7:56am
What I learnt today on food channel was that the ingrediants need to be room temperature. Could be worth a try.

fifie, Mar 26, 8:55am
This tip came from here not sure who posted it, may help you if you put milk in them.Use a different temperature for the milk to produce different tops.
Use very hot milk for a Flat domed cupcake
Use hot milk for a Small domed cupcake
Use warm milk for a high domed cupcake.

marcs, Mar 26, 9:20am
Try this one for cupcakes. Has flat top and a bit of a unusual way of making it but it tastes good. Also you are overmixing your mixtures. With muffin mix till just combined and no more.

80 g unsalted butter soft
280 g castor sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
240ml full cream milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs

Oven temp 190c

In a free standing mixer or with a electric beater, mix the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt till it resemble fine breadcrumbs.

Add half the milk in and mix for 30 secs till just combined. With the remaining milk add eggs and vanilla and beat to combine, then add to the flour mixture while running on low speed. Scrape sides if need be. Beat till the batter is smooth. I fine another 30 secs is enough.

Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes (I know my oven takes 25 mins). Also I use the old fashioned ice cream scoop to scoop my mixture out so that they are even. Ice with desired icing. Makes 12 -16 cupcakes.

Recipe from Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

bev00, Mar 26, 10:34am
Thanks for the great pointers .

samsnan, Mar 27, 3:12am
I mix my muffins so that they still have bits of dry flour going through the mix and very lightly. Dont worry to much about getting it all off the bowl the quicker and lighter you mix the better the result. I learnt the hard way too. Just thinking I probably only do 5 or 6 good scoops of the mixture. Good luck.

waswoods, Mar 28, 7:26am
I always understood that the oven was too hot so the outside baked and then the inside had to push its way up to bake. Since I have started turning my oven down (from 180 to 150), I don't have that problem anymore

waswoods, Mar 28, 7:30am
And there is a difference between muffins and cupcakes. Cupcakes are little cakes and muffins can be classified as a bread