Help please re best way to re-heat food

esther-anne, Mar 2, 4:12am
I have about 12 people coming round tomorrow (weather permitting) and as well as salads etc etc I have pre-prepared and cooked two dishes which I will have to re-heat.The food is in quite large serving dishes and I have not put it in the fridge.I want to re-heat but it will be time consuming in the microwave as the dishes won't fit in there.I googled this subject and was surprised to read that heating things up in the ordinary oven for say and hour on a slowish heat is the worst way to do this.Apparently it is best done at a very high heat for about 5 - 10 minutes because obviously one is not re-cooking the food.I can't help but think that this would not ensure that the food is piping hot right through so I decided to ask the experienced people her how they re-heat a reasonably large amount of food.

Thanks in advance-all advice gratefully received.

lilyfield, Mar 2, 4:38am
I always use med. heat- tinfoil on top- stir through halfway- stick in finger to test

rainrain1, Mar 2, 4:51am
I'd be putting it in the fridge until time to heat it up in the oven tomorrow, med heat.

buzzy110, Mar 2, 5:02am
Tricky to not refrigerate it in the meantime. The risk of food poisoning is great.

It might help if you told us what the dishes were.

fisher, Mar 2, 5:21am
esther anne . what about putting in fridge for the time being.
reheat and then place into hot crock pot to keep warm/hot for serving.then you can deal to the other one in the oven.

lythande1, Mar 2, 5:58am
All depends on what sort of food it is really. Runny stuff, soup - stew, in a pot on top is fine, high heat, no, medium, and stir often is better.

Something like a roast though - mmm.it will cook it more and dry out more, depends how cooked it was to start with really.

esther-anne, Mar 2, 6:24am
Hi everyone.thanks for your replies and of course buzzy I should have said what the friggin' food is!

Firstly-all now safely refrigerated!-
!

I have solved one thing and shouldn't have been wondering as it fits into the category lythande describes-it's a vegetarian curry ( two vegetarians coming ) and of course that will just reheat gently in a pot on the stove.The other is a kind of chicken stroganoff with mushrooms etc - when it's hot I will add some cooked spiral pasta along with the sour cream (sounds odd but it is actually delicious with the pasta and turns the stroganoff into a one-pot dish.)I always cook my stroganoff in the oven - never do it on top of the stove but maybe I could transer that too, to a large pot to heat it up!Trying to do it with the minimum of shifting food from one container to another and back again lol!

Have to say a few years ago I would never have been asking for advice about this but getting long in the tooth & I have done little entertaining for more than six for a very long time and all myold skills were eluding me!

Fisher I don't own a crockpot but it would be the ideal thing if I had oneright now.

Sincere thanks to all for troubling to reply xx

purplegoanna, Mar 2, 9:23am
ive always cooked cooled down and then reheated in the oven pan or microwave.ive neva gotten food poisoning of my own cooking or reheats (p.s i like the use the fast cool down method of 30mins in the freezer then pop into the fridge).