Searched and can't find it - doubling vinegar.

cautis, Feb 18, 8:32pm
I'm pretty sure I read here somewhere that you can put half your vinegar into another bottle, add water, put it somewhere and it will all turn to vinegar, therefore doubling it.

But I can't find exactly what to do.Does anybody know!Thanks.

davidt4, Feb 18, 9:51pm
All that will do is dilute the vinegar to half strength.

uli, Feb 18, 10:06pm
Water will not make vinegar - davidt4 is right you will just dilute it.

To make vinegar you need alcohol first. So you can make cider out of apple juice and yeast and then turn that cider into vinegar with the help of a vinegar "mother".

Or you can use wine or beer plus a "mother" culture.

Of course there might be someone on here writing stuff like that cautis - she may also know how to make lead into gold or maybe even how make anything else into phosphate once we run out .

elliehen, Feb 18, 10:21pm
pickles7 knows everything ever worth knowing about vinegar :)

elliehen, Feb 18, 10:21pm
pickles7 knows everything ever worth knowing about vinegar :)

If you look at her profile you will see a fine portrait of her "mother".

'pic of my "mother" so far she has made 23 liters each of malt and cider vinegar, and 5 liters of wine vinegar.'

uli, Feb 18, 11:52pm
I made about 500l of cider vinegar - do I win!

pickles7, Feb 18, 11:55pm
Not that easy.

The first lot of vinegar I made was using.
2 parts wine
1 part water
1 part raw cider vinegar [ Bragg's]
I covered it with muslin yo keep the fruit flies out, put it in a dark place. Vinegar Mother, likes oxygen so let her breath.
"Mother of vinegar" worked her magic, I had made my first lot of vinegar.
Not worth the effort unless you make your own wine, or just want to see how it all works. Buy a cheap bottle of wine and DO IT. I was blown away at just how easy it was, and now make heaps of vinegars out of ! I can get my hands on.
I make my own wine, I have made up a Lager beer kit as well, turned that into vinegar, don't add water to beers. Same procedure.
http://makingvinegar.blogspot.co.nz/
Near the bottom of the page, is my first effort.

pickles7, Feb 19, 12:08am
There is one ingredient, when we go to make plum sauce that puts a lot of people off these days.It is the price of Vinegar. It costs me approx. 50 cents a litre to make my own, a bit of time. I get the real thing, brewed naturally, not a caramel coloured cleaninggrade vinegar that you buy these days.

vintagekitty, Feb 19, 12:10am
so pickles, what do you do with all the vinegar!. I have 3 bottles that I bought last year and they are still 3/4 full.

uli, Feb 19, 12:16am
I am not even sure it is food grade pickles, as it is a side product of some chemical reactions.

from Wikipedia:
".By 1910, most glacial acetic acid was obtained from the "pyroligneous liquor" from distillation of wood. The acetic acid was isolated from this by treatment with milk of lime, and the resulting calcium acetate was then acidified with sulfuric acid to recover acetic acid. At that time, Germany was producing 10,000 tons of glacial acetic acid, around 30% of which was used for the manufacture of indigo dye.[11][14]

Because both methanol and carbon monoxide are commodity raw materials, methanol carbonylation long appeared to be an attractive precursors to acetic acid. Henry Dreyfus at British Celanese developed a methanol carbonylation pilot plant as early as 1925.[15] However, a lack of practical materials that could contain the corrosive reaction mixture at the high pressures needed (200 atm or more) discouraged commercialization of these routes. The first commercial methanol carbonylation process, which used a cobalt catalyst, was developed by German chemical company BASF in 1963. In 1968, a rhodium-based catalyst (cis−[Rh(CO)2I2]−) was discovered that could operate efficiently at lower pressure with almost no by-products. US chemical company Monsanto Company built the first plant using this catalyst in 1970, and rhodium-catalysed methanol carbonylation became the dominant method of acetic acid production (see Monsanto process). In the late 1990s, the chemicals company BP Chemicals commercialized the Cativa catalyst ([Ir(CO)2I2]−), which is promoted by ruthenium for greater efficiency. This iridium-catalysed Cativa process is greener and more efficient[16] and has largely supplanted the Monsanto process, often in the same production plants."

mwood, Feb 19, 12:26am
People be sure to read this Blog and check her profile to read Pickles other Blogs - note also the tip on growing your own (otherwise elusive) vinegar mother - well done - top Blogs Pickles :-)

pickles7, Feb 19, 12:26am
I make a lot of sauce, Worcestershire, plum, tomato. I also make a lot of pickles. Not chutney, am not keen on it myself.
I give lots away, someone who was given a bottle of my sauce said they reach for my bottle over the bought Worcester. now. That all makes it worth while.
I make sauce for my grand kids, usually I am given the plums, we don't eat stewed plums, so sauce it is. That keeps for years.

pickles7, Feb 19, 12:29am
Well done.I got in first. I know someone else wanted it. lol,

pickles7, Feb 19, 12:40am
uli. I have made a complaint with regards to the label on vinegar stating "Naturally brewed". I am also going to try aerating my brew with a fish tank pump. I am thinking it will push the process along a bit.

What are they going to do with cocoa.!. The world is not producing enough cocoa beans to satisfy our needs now. Other than more cornstarch, what else will they squeeze in.

elliehen, Feb 19, 12:59am
pickles wins!

pickles7, Feb 19, 2:04am
There was talk of using up the rubbish trees in Kawerau a few years back, sounds familiar. I don't think it got off the ground.something of that nature.

uli, Feb 19, 3:30am
Mother of vinegar is not elusive at all - you just need to aerate your wine/cider/beer and she forms all by herself!

uli, Feb 19, 3:33am
Yes a fish tank pump is great - as I have stated about 5 or 6 year ago on here (because that is how I do it - I have lots of spare air via the air pump in my fish house and simply put the tanks in there).

So this is what I use rather than the labourious process of dripping it slowly over vinegar soaked wood shavings at the drip of 1 litre per 24 hours .

elliehen, Feb 19, 3:37am
A case of 'vinegar envy'!Show us a pic of your 'mother' ;)

pickles7, Feb 19, 4:34am
There is someone here in Hastings making and selling vinegars. Cool or what. It is very pricey, the bottles are not cheap.

cautis, Feb 19, 8:24am
Oh I found it!So this won't work then!Cos I got it off the budget thread sometime.

Doubling Vinegar
Tip half the bottle into another bottle and fill with water.Leave in a light, warm place for 24 hours and you will have full-strength vinegar.You can do this up to 3 times with the same vinegar.

cautis, Feb 19, 8:53am
Oh the person found it on another site but hadn't tried it.

pickles7, Feb 19, 8:57am
It would be cool if it worked like that.cautis.