Can you freeze buttercream icing?

k.b.moss, Feb 15, 8:01pm
I jst use vanilla essences,icing sugar and butter. and i alway seem to have to much left over and sick of wasting it! and how long would it last in the fridge, n how do you store it! Sorry i'm a newbie with cakes lol

lx4000, Feb 15, 8:15pm
I freeze it with no problems.

k.b.moss, Feb 15, 8:19pm
kool how long can you store it in the fridge for

margyr, Feb 15, 9:44pm
store in the fridge same amount of time you would store the block of butter for, unless you have put milk in your buttercream then only a couple of days.

k.b.moss, Feb 15, 9:57pm
awsome thanks :) it'll save me wasting so much

uli, Feb 15, 10:03pm
What!"wasting it"!

Just roll into balls, put into the fridge and eat for snacks :)
You can roll it in nuts too before you fridge it - Lovely!

But yes - you can freeze it too.

k.b.moss, Feb 15, 10:05pm
lol yip i've thrown a lot out not knowing i could freeze or keep in the fridge. lol i eat enough of eat while icing the cakes lol

uli, Feb 16, 3:47am
No excuse to not keep eating 3 days later.
But now you know - it will never happen again and your waistline will continue to expand :)

deus701, Feb 16, 4:44am
lol i do just that.but put it in the freezer, then roll it in some breadcrumbs n deepfry them.

uli, Feb 16, 5:37am
EEEhhh - why deep fry!
Just roll it into some chopped nuts and freeze.
Yuck!
Deep frying that stuff - sounds worse than the 1kg of cheese deep fried *blerk*

deus701, Feb 16, 5:59am
cos cos.i have to 'appear busy' when the exec chef is walking around. I dun really eat them, most of the front of house staff eats them. I deep fried some scones made with cream cheese & sundried tomato inserts. they're not bad surprisingly.

uli, Feb 16, 10:10pm
I should find that link again just for you deus where there are recipes for deep frying everything you can think of (and not think of) - even coke, 1kg blocks of cheese, oreo biscuits and of course mars bars .

. and yes I believe you when you say they are not bad - most people still adhere to those low fat diets, so some extra fat is always classed as extremely wonderful by the body - even if it is canola or soy oil LOL :)