Buttercream

jaci1, Sep 13, 8:37pm
I have two recipes for BC - one with kremelta and one without. I am wondering - I would like to crumb coat my cake, but do I need to use the recipe with kremelta in it - to make it 'stiffer' than the recipe without it? Also - I would like to make quite a bright pink BC, but with the butter, it tends to have the yellow tinge to it, so it's hard to achieve the colour you want i.e. add pink and it goes apricoty... is it a matter of adding heaps of colour, or try adding red instead of pink to try and get it to go pink - does that make sense? Any advice would be appreciated :)

fifie, Sep 14, 12:51am
jaci1 Wiltons is a great site for icing cakes.Heres a link there to crumb cake icing, read the forums to as lots of answers can be found there. From memory i found it hard to get the correct colour with butter cream, because of butter content but nowadays you can buy a cake colouring gel which can be used .Suggest you go to your nearest cake decorating shop, or look on here theres some for sale and says it can be used with butter cream. Good luck.
http://www.wilton.com/blog/index.php/start-with-a-crumb-coat-for-a-smooth-cake-finish/

caketinhire, Sep 16, 3:09am
jaci1 - Are you piping or smoothing your buttercream on? What sort of colouring are you using to colour it with, liquid, paste/gel or powder?

ribzuba, Mar 22, 5:40pm
use martha stewart swiss meringue buttercream, it sets rock hard but is maleable when warmed a little, because it has a meringue base it goes white and has a way better texture as sugar is dissovled and tastes delicious, i recomend using a powder to colour it anyway because of the fat in the butter gels and liquids do not always combine that well.And dont use margarine or vegetable shortening, it has a higher melting point than butter and so leaves takes longer to dissolve leaving an unpleasant after sensation