Light Fruit Cake recipe please

Page 1 / 2
john946, Feb 15, 8:04am
We love a light fruit cake in our house, but many recipes are for a darker fruit cake.Would like to hear about your favourite tried and true LIGHT fruit cake recipe. Many thanks!

245sam, Feb 15, 8:34am
john946, the following recipe is one I have kept from a thread here on TM a number of years ago - it's thanks to momma1 who advised that it is very like Ernest Adam's Light Fruitcake so hope it appeals to you.

Cutting Cake
1½ tbsp cornflour
1 cup each ofcold waterandsugar
225g butter
½ tsp each ofalmond essence,lemon essence,orange essenceandvanilla essence
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
450g sultanas

Boil the cornflour and water until thick, then cool.
Cream the butter, sugar and essences, then add the eggs, one at a time.Sift the flour, baking powder and coat sultanas with a few spoonsful.Add the remaining flour and baking powder alternately with the cornflour mixture to the creamed mixture.Lastly add the sultanas and pour the mixture into a paper-lined cake tin.
Bake at170°Cfor1½ hours.:-))

lindylambchops1, Feb 15, 9:12am
I made this fruit cake on Monday.it must be good because there isn't much left!
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 cups sultanas or 2 cups mixed fruit
50gms butter
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking SODA
Heat gently together in a pot on the stove the water, sugar, dried fruit & butter until butter melts & sugar dissolves.Allow to cool, then stir in flour & spices & baking soda.Pour into a large pan, I use an oblong one which expands, which has been greased & lined with baking paper.Bake at 180C for 45 mins, or until skewer comes out clean.
Remove from oven & leave to cool in tin, then tip out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.Serve as required.

Enjoy!

elliehen, Feb 15, 9:12am
This is similar, but includes custard powder.

GLEN'S CUTTING CAKE ~ Mrs Glen Rowling, Nelson

2 Tablespoons custard powder
450 gms sultanas
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
225 gms butter
1/2 teaspoon of 4 different essences (e.g. lemon, orange, vanilla, rum)

Boil custard powder and water, stirring all the time until thick, then cool
Prepare sultanas
Cream butter and sugar and essences, then add eggs one at a time, beating well between additions
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and coat the cleaned sultanas with part of this
Add remaining flour alternately with cold custard powder mix to the creamed ingredients
Stir in floured fruit
Turn into an 8 inch square lined with greaseproof paper (2 layers)
Bake at 160*C for 1 & 1/2 hours until a skewer in the middle comes out clean
I have found everyone likes this cake - young and old

From: Country Cookery, recipes from Ohau District, School 90th Jubilee edition 1891-1981

lindylambchops1, Feb 15, 9:14am
Like the sound of the OP's cakes, thanks for sharing.

fran142, Feb 15, 10:28pm
Simple Fruit Cake. Soak 1 kg dried fruit in 2 cups orange juice overnight Add 2 cups self raising flour and mix well Put int greased tin and bake 1 hour at 180 oC . Enjoy

john946, Feb 15, 11:18pm
Thanks everyone for your contributions - they look great!

rosiemoodle, Feb 16, 12:36am
+1 easy and yummy

susieq9, Feb 16, 1:02am
Saltana Cake.500gm saltanas. Put into pot and boil for 5 minutes, then drain.Stir in 250gm butter until melted. Then add 11/2 cups sugar. Mix well. Add 3 eggs, one at a time. Then add 21/2 cups flour, 1tsp baking powder, and some lemon and almond essence or vanilla essence. Mix all together. I make this in a square cake tin. Bake 180C for approx 11/2 hrs.

lindylambchops1, Feb 16, 3:07am
I love that SULTANA cake too!Haven't made it for a while, thanks for reminding me.

flower-child01, Feb 16, 9:23am
Here is my recipe, it is light, and similar to Ernest Adams fruit cake.

Here is my recipe http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/sultana-cake/, it is light, and similar to Ernest Adams fruit cake.

marcs, Feb 17, 6:10pm
The foodtown magazine had a really nice fruit cake recipe in their christmas issue. Will see if I can dig it up and post it. It was yum.

elliehen, Feb 17, 10:24pm
• Page not found •

I apologise a thousand fold.
you've stumbled across a page that has been moved!

Please use the search box to find what you are looking for

"Sultana cake
300g sultanas, boiled 10 mins in water, and drained well
250g butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon essence
4 eggs
1 c cherries, optional
2 1/2 c plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Beat in the vanilla then the eggs, one at a time.
Stir in the sultanas and cherries. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt then fold in. Pour into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin and bake 160°C for approximately 45 – 60 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
Cool."

I accept your thousand apologies, flower-child01, and post the sultana cake here for others who might not negotiate past the lost page ;)

weha, Feb 17, 10:57pm
this is the only fruit cake I make now.so full of flavour and super easy.not dark.

kaddiew, Feb 17, 11:23pm
I've got 2 cups of plum juice which is cooked/dripped so a little thicker than other juice. I wonder if that would work in this recipe!

elliehen, Feb 18, 12:32am
Can't see why not, but it will be dark, not light.

marcs, Feb 18, 2:58am
Sorry I can't find it now. Hoping someone might post it for me as I would the recipe as well now. It was in the Nov/Dec issue of Food Magazine (foodtown Magazine) and it was in the cafe section where people request recipe from cafes.

kaddiew, Feb 18, 4:14am
Silly me; of course it will!

245sam, Feb 18, 4:46am
marcs, in that section of the December/January Food magazine there are two fruit cake/loaf recipes - one is Cafe Deli's Full-of fruit MIni Loaves and the other is The Lilypond Cafe's Fruit Cake which has mixed dried fruit and crushed pineapple and its colour is enhanced by the addition of yellow food colouring - is it the latter recipe that you're referring to and wanting!:-))

marcs, Feb 18, 10:50am
It was the Lilypond one. Would you mind posting it for me please. It was yum to eat and I am not a fruit cake fan.

245sam, Feb 18, 11:19am
Here you are marcs.

THE LILYPOND CAFE'S FRUIT CAKE
500g mixed dried fruit
1 cup sugar
2 x 275g cans crushed pineapple with juice
125g butter, chopped
2 cups flour
1 tsp each ofbaking sodaandbaking powder
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp almond essence
1 tsp yellow food colouring

Line a 28cm x 18cm baking pan with baking paper.
Place the dried fruit, sugar, pineapple and juice and butter into a pan.Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and bubble gently for about 10 minutes.Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder into the cooled fruit mixture.Stir in the eggs, almond essence and food colouring.Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake the cake for about 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
“Did you know! - This light fruit cake has been served at the cafe for seven years.It is moist and keeps and freezes well.”:-))

marcs, Feb 19, 1:25am
Thank you 245 Sam. I will save it on the computer so I don't loose it again.

razell, Feb 19, 7:37am
Made this today and it is yummy!

Here is my recipe http://brama-sole.co.nz/recipes/sultana-cake/, it is light, and similar to Ernest Adams fruit cake.