Help need reliable fruit cake recipe

hydaway, Sep 17, 11:13pm
I have to make a fruit cake in next day or two for my parents Golden weddding in 3 weeks! so would love a reccomendation of one that will turn out well and ready to be cut in such a short space of time. it will be decorated and i hope to make a 10 or 12 inch. There seem to be a lot of recipes around for 8inch but not bigger. Hoping for a moist cake. Any help appreciated greatly. Thanks

davidt4, Sep 17, 11:29pm
Dundee Cake
20cm tin

100g raisins)
100g currants)
100g sultanas)
100g glace cherries)soak overnight
100g glace peel)
3 tab whiskey)
zest & juice ½ lemon )
zest & juice ½ orange )

150g butter
150g brown sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
225g flour)sifted
1 tsp baking powder )
2 – 3 tab milk
25g ground almonds
100g blanched almonds

3 tab whiskey

Heat oven to 160C

Cream butter & sugar, beat in eggs.Fold in flour & b.p.,milk, ground almonds, then soaked fruit and liquid.

Spoon into tin & level top.Place blanched almonds in circles on top.

Bake 2 hours.Cool in tin 30 min, turn onto rack and cool completely.Wrap in greaseproof paper, then foil, and store in airtight tin.

Next day feed with 1 tab whiskey.Repeat on day 3 & day 5.Keep further 2 weeks before cutting.

hydaway, Sep 18, 2:15am
Thanks for that. if I needed a bigger cake could you double this as i think a 12 inch is about 28/30 cm

davidt4, Sep 18, 2:24am
It would be fine to double the recipe as long as you work out what sized cake tin would be correct.You need to end up with a cake that's the same depth as the original so that it will cook properly.Here's a ink to a site that might help.

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/cake-pan-size-conversions/detail.aspx

cgvl, Sep 18, 3:15am
have a look in the diabetic recipes, I will bump it for you. there is at least one that will make a big cake. It is what I have and my mother uses and have used it for a wedding cake as well, think she did 2 mix's one for base and the other for the 2 tiers above, so would have been 12", 10' and an 8" from memory.

chip1914, Sep 19, 12:16am
Here is one that I have just made for a wedding cake from a friend that seems popular.
Fruit Cake:
1 lb butter500gm castor sugar2 kg fruit1 tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp glycerine4oz ground almond1/2 tsp salt1/2 cup brandy
9 eggs1/4 tsp nutmeg1 1/4 lb flour1tsp b. powder
1 tsp mixed spice

Cream butter and sugar, add syrup then add all other ingredients, cook at 150c for 3hrs, although I had a big tin and it only took just over 2 hours.

dollmakernz, Sep 19, 4:05am
This one is really good and can be eaten as soon as its cold. I'm hopeless though and never seem to follow the recipe exactly. I use up to a cup of sherry and 4-6 eggs, and up to 1 extra cup of flour. It's impossible to stuff this cake up.
It helps to cook it evenly if you line the inside and outside of the tin with a couple layers of newspaper and sit a double layer on top for the first hour or so of baking.

Christmas Fruit Cake
appx 1kg mix fruit, 1Tbsp g/syrup, 2c water, 3 eggs, 2c b/sugar, 2Tbsp sherry, 250g butter, 3c flour, 1tsp mix spice, 2tsp b/powder, 1tsp b/soda, ½tsp salt, ½tsp each-vanilla, almond, and lemon essence.
Combine fruit, water, sugar, butter, spice, b/soda and g/syrup in a pot. Bring to the boil and simmer covered for 10mins. Cool. When cold add well beaten eggs, sherry & essences. Mix well. Fold in sifted flour, b/powder and salt. Place in a well greased lined 23cm tin. Bake at 160oc 2½-3hrs.

splitty, Sep 19, 4:10am
I have a recipe for a fruit cake but it is too big to post on here, I can email it to you if you like. edited to add it has the amounts for 12", 10", 9", 8", 7" & 6" so a fantastic recipe to have in your arsenal

hydaway, Sep 19, 4:11am
Thanks for those recipes,, I am going to make in next few days just have to decide which one is best for this occasion.

cgvl, Sep 18, 3:15am
have a look in the diabetic recipes, I will bump it for you. there is at least one that will make a big cake. It is what I have and my mother uses and have used it for a wedding cake as well, think she did 2 mix's one for base and the other for the 2 tiers above, so would have been 12", 10' and an 8" from memory.

recipe says 9" tin but I only have a 10" tin and its fine just watch cooking time as it can dry out as not as deep. Great Grandma's cake on pg 2

245sam, Sep 19, 1:33am
If not done already, it's time soon to be making one's Christmas Cake.:-))

punkinthefirst, Sep 19, 3:13am
Can you scan your Table and put it up as a photo!

books4nz, Sep 19, 9:28am
If you'd like to post the recipe here, a post will take 4000 characters now. need more! - you can type into a second message and post.

arl5, Sep 19, 9:55am
200 grams brown sugar
200 grams butter
3tbls maltexo or treakle
1 tsp cinamon
1tsp mixed spice
1 tsp nutmeg
3tbls oil
1 500grm pak of fruit cake mix
5 cups flour ( sifted)
2 tbls milk
1 tsp baking soda
half cup dark plum jam
1 cup crushed almonds
mix the entire lot together . you can soak the fruit if you so desire for a richer darker more moist cake .
bake in cake tin roughly 1hr on 180 and reduce heat for a further 10 minutes to 120 in a fan forced.
cuts well with out crumbling.
add whisky to taste if you desire but brandy is better and take out the milk

earth_moon, Sep 19, 10:04am
Splitty.Would love a copy of that recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing it.Either on here or via email.I am sure there are lots that would appreciate it.Many thanks in advance.

kinna54, Sep 19, 10:07am
Type in search or googleNz Woman's weekly recipes' there is everything on there re fruit cakes, even down to the lining of the tins.*very important*
My mums old wedding cake and christmas cake recipes should be there, half pound cake was her favourite, always made a good 8inch round cake. To ensure a moist cake, when it is completely cold turn upside down, insert a skewer or clean knitting needle and make holes in the cake, and drizzle with brandy, sherry or whisky,(especially in the corners if making a square cake, then wrap the cake in tinfoil.

kinna54, Sep 19, 10:14am
The old Edmonds Ginger Ale fruit cake is also a goodie. If you have trouble finding the NZWW recipes I can try to scan and post, I thought I had it typed but it is in my dear old mum's handwriting.
Ps don't substitute with essence for the brandy or whisky, it's just not the same flavour.

hydaway, Sep 20, 11:00am
Thanks all. will decide which one to make tomorrow. better get on to it as running out of time.

cookessentials, Sep 20, 10:07pm
One of the best recipes for wedding cakes is the AWW fruit cake recipe. it never fails.

splitty, Sep 21, 10:14am
It is kind of similar, different amounts of things but overall pretty much the same amount of fruit. Mine is in a table form and I only just typed it up last week so I didn't really want to type it all out again, that is why I offered to email.

splitty, Sep 21, 10:25am
I can email it to you, I only just typed it into a table format last week so I wasn't too keen to type it all out again. Email me if you would like the recipe splittylac@hotmail.co.nz