Corn Fritters

jen211, Feb 14, 8:19pm
I am going to make corn fritters for dinner tonight (which I have never made).
When making corn fritters do you use cream style corn or whole kernal corn! I have both in the pantry, so will use which ever make the best!

Are they nice adding extras like onion and bacon!

Thanks for any help :-)

bounce16, Feb 14, 8:36pm
I tend to use whatever corn I have on hand - sometimes a tin of both!Onion and bacon can be added if you want, I sometimes add a bit of capsicum too for flavour and colour.Or I cook the bacon seperately and make corn fritter and bacon stacks - yum, especially with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream!

bridget107, Feb 14, 8:44pm
This is a really nice corn fritter recipe. If you don't like the chilli, you can just leave that bit out :-) http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Chilli-Corn-Fritters

jen211, Feb 14, 8:49pm
Thanks bounce, what a good idea, a bacon stack sounds delicious.

jen211, Feb 14, 8:49pm
yum, that does look good

purplegoanna, Feb 14, 9:06pm
yum add feta cheese and grated pumpkin and a smidgeon of curry power.

jen211, Feb 14, 9:47pm
thank you purplegoanna, will be adding the feta :)

shop-a-holic, Feb 14, 10:58pm
Last night I made Donna Hay's version. I used fresh corn since they're in season at the moment. She adds cream cheese and chopped Dill.
To die for.

fec2003, Feb 14, 11:56pm
I use grated courgette in mine - toss it in the flour before adding whole kernels, ground pepper and making the batter. Then stack with bacon, sweet chili sauce and sour cream, then spotting with a tiny hint of basil oil. YUMMY!

jen211, Feb 15, 12:49am
fec2003 thanks, that is a good way to use up the courgette and zuchinnis

purplegoanna, Feb 15, 4:43am
share!

scrapper2, Feb 15, 5:04am
had unexpected visitors so made these for lunch, I usually use a combination of cream corn, and whole kernal, but only had the cream variety in the pantry,found a pack of chuck wagon corn in the freezer, and picked all the peas out, left in the onion. capsicum. corn etc, cooked as usual and served with bacon, fresh bread andgreen tomato chutney Yum! and lots of compliments.

uli, Feb 15, 10:10pm
I use any corn I have on hand:raw, cooked on the cob or tinned.

Add 4 to 12 eggs - depending on amount of corn.

Add some ham or bacon
and some chopped onion
and salt and pepper or finely chopped chillies
and some fresh chopped herbs (parsley or chives or any other herbs you have on hand) .

Optional:
half a cup of flour if you feel you need it
some chopped other veges
like shredded courgettes (I use the yellow ones so no-one even sees them LOL),
or silver beet
or spinach
or mushrooms
or tomatoes etc.

Mix all together and either fry in batches as fritters or pour into a hot fry pan with steel handles and once starting to sizzle put into the pre-heated oven (220 C) to finish cooking (about 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on amount).

If doing them in the oven you can top the lot with some tomato slices and grated cheese before baking.

Serve with a big bowl of green mixed salad leaves.

susieq9, Feb 15, 10:33pm
We have just plain sweet corn fritters ie, sweet corn, flour and eggs. Have some with tomato sauce and then a couple with golden syrup. Sounds strange, but really nice. You could also add some cayanne pepper for a bit of a bite, but not if you are having golden syrup on them.

spot20, Feb 15, 10:38pm
When my hubby make them they always end up a bit soggy! Pan not hot enough perhaps!

gerry64, Feb 16, 12:24am
The best I have ever had was at Peter Gordons restaurant -they were deep fried like cheese puffs with bacon and maple syrup - YUM

purplegoanna, Feb 16, 1:00am

gerry64, Feb 16, 2:12am
no they were more like a little ball of savoury creme puff - if you know what I mean

davidt4, Feb 16, 2:23am
They sound like a choux pastry base with sweet corn added.Good idea.

whitehead., Feb 16, 4:49am
use corn flour not flour and you will get crisp fritters

seano7, Feb 16, 4:55am
Oh my god I have never seen so many really shitty corn fritters.
1 st thing whole kernal corn only one tin to 1/3 cup of flour corriander roughly chopped little garlic little chilli little bit of sugar. Bind those all together. mix 2 eggs and 1/3 cup of milk combine together should be kinda wet cook in hot oil on each side for one minute and finish in over. FRITTERS should never have self raising flour should never have f all corn and should never be cakes you are making a gellete make one not a cake

gerry64, Feb 16, 5:12am
yes david I am certain that they did have a choux base - very light -have had cheese puffs and they certainly were similar - very nice they were but I guess deep fried so not all that healthy

purplegoanna, Feb 16, 5:30am
these look super duper yummy sweetcorn feta delights, im trying them this weekend (beware page is hard to change away from so i closed down page and started afresh, a pain for those on dial up) http://superyummyrecipes.blogspot.co.nz/2010/09/sweet-corn-delights.html

uli, Feb 16, 5:38am
Yeah you are right - never seen a more terrible combination of tinned stuff with sugar . :)