Ideas for NZ finger food for school shared lunch?

chynna2, Feb 12, 9:05am
My son has a shared lunch at school at the end of the week (it's for intermediate aged kids - 11 and 12 years old).The finger food is meant to be NZ inspired!

Any quick and/or easy ideas for what he could take would be welcomed.

sam284, Feb 12, 9:07am
Umm mini Mussell fritters, those cheese rolls they make in the South Island, tiny pavlovas(meringues you buy in packets from supermarket) if you want something really easy served with cream or custard and a slice of kiwifruit on top

sam284, Feb 12, 9:10am
Or you could make pikelets and pour them into the shapes N and Z!

auntlb, Feb 12, 9:36am
Vegemite & cheese toasties
lamb & mint jelly sandwiches

chynna2, Feb 12, 9:50am
Good ideas, keep them coming :-)

sam284, Feb 12, 10:42am
Ohhh I just thought of two more suggestions.Hokey Pokey Biscuits or any recipe from The Edmonds Cookbook!I have even heard of Chocolate Chip Biscuits (the ones made with condensed milk) referred to as Kiwi Biscuits.

sam284, Feb 12, 10:42am
Ohhh I just thought of two more suggestions.Hokey Pokey Biscuits or any recipe from The Edmonds Cookbook!I have even heard of Chocolate Chip Biscuits (the ones made with condensed milk) referred to as Kiwi Biscuits. Failing all else pick up a packet of Anzac biscuits from the supermarket!

chynna2, Feb 12, 7:38pm
Thanks for the ideas.I think I'll make Kiwi Biscuits as they will be easy for my son to take to school.

momma1, Feb 12, 8:01pm
cheerios, take them in a thermos, lollie cake, multi coloured lamingtons

bridget107, Feb 12, 9:04pm
x1
What about making some well-known South Island Cheese Rolls! http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2011/11/02/the-southland-cheese-roll/

momma1, Feb 12, 9:46pm
i'm from chch and the only time i've heard or seen of these putrid things is. once someone made them for me in melbourne (gag) and a guy in auckland talks about them. ick ick ick

bridget107, Feb 12, 10:24pm
They are actually delicious.

ginn3001, Feb 12, 10:58pm
x2
i would go with the cheese rolls! yummy
get a packet of cheese sauce (add cheese), you can add onion if you like, marg the bread, spread the cheese sauce and then roll up bread, bake until golden.

can you tell im from the south island lmao YUMMY!

sarahb5, Feb 12, 11:07pm
Asparagus rolls

supersapper, Feb 13, 12:11am
Ha 11 & 12 yr olds aren't going to eat asparagus rolls as yummy as they may be

chynna2, Feb 13, 12:33am
LOL!I do have to agree with you on that!Maybe add add another 10 or 20 years onto their ages and they will.I love them too, but even my 45 year old hubby won't touch them haha!

Think I'll try out the cheese rolls at home for a quick weekend lunch sometime though - they sound delish.I've been to the South Island and never tried one, so I must add that to my list of foods to try!

lx4000, Feb 13, 1:27am
how about a fruit and veggie platter! Dips, salsa, cheese crackers etc!mmMmm

sarahb5, Feb 13, 2:37am
Why not!Mine would - and I assume there will also be teachers/other adults present anyway

Mine wouldn't touch cheese rolls in any way, shape or form or mussel fritters as suggested as #2!

sarahb5, Feb 13, 2:40am
Kumara chips or kiwi shaped cookies - it is supposed to be NZ inspired which is why I suggested the asparagus rolls

lindylambchops1, Feb 13, 3:08am
Food fight!

guest, Jun 28, 5:04am
mini tacos

guest, Dec 13, 3:52am
some afhgans would be great trust me :)

alice_da_awesome, Apr 16, 4:17am
Handberger cup cakes all it is is cupcake and brownie look for the recipy on the web hope it helped
:)

12_year_old, Sep 2, 7:46am
We like sweet stuff and chips.