Bench top ovens - how long should they last ?

karmae, Feb 12, 5:21am
Our Sunbeam is only one and half years old and one of the top elementsjust glowed brightly (in one spot), then started sparking and blew. Now neither top elements work and the bottom elements have always been so weak. So am thinking but another make or is one and half years about all they last. Gtee was for 12 months.

eastie3, Feb 12, 6:13am
Even though the guarantee was for 12mths,it is reasonable to expect the appliance would last longer than that!

Take the receipt and the oven back and talk to the manager,the law gives you rights in this scenario.Check out the Consumer web site and you will find the relevant information (Consumer Guarantee Act)

eastie3, Feb 12, 6:13am
Even though the guarantee was for 12mths,it is reasonable to expect the appliance would last longer than that!

Take the receipt and the oven back and talk to the manager,the law gives you rights in this scenario.Check out the Ministry ofConsumer Affairs web site and you will find the relevant information (Consumer Guarantee Act)

andrew499, Feb 12, 8:04pm
i would have thought 4-5 years would be a reasonable time for a benchtop oven to last, given normal use.One and a half years is appalling.hope you get a satisfactory outcome if you decide to take it further.

chatsmom, Feb 12, 8:07pm
Our breville is at least 10 years old! I wouldn't accept 18 months.

dalkemade, Feb 12, 8:53pm
Eastie3 is absolutely right though a lot of the shops pretend they dont know about that one.

kaddiew, Feb 12, 9:48pm
Agree with other posters - this is covered by the CGA, which I've used a lot over the years, to get a full refund on all sorts of goods. If the fault is serious (which yours obviously is!) I always insist on a refund, and won't accept a repair or replacement.Stand your ground, and eventually the store buckles and accepts the responsibility it has under the Act.

245sam, Feb 12, 10:04pm
karmae, I too agree with others who believe that a lifespan of 18 months is unacceptable however I don't have personal experience because just prior to Christmas we parted with our third-hand good old Toast and Grill bench-top oven which was 30 or more years old!Nowdays I wouldn't really expect a replacement to last that long but certainly a few years rather than just a few months.
Good luck for an outcome that you feel happy with.:-))

connor2003, Feb 12, 10:06pm
The first one I had was secondhand (my parents owned it first they had it for about 5 years) and I had it for about 5 years and the second one I've got (was also my late parents) and I've had it for 5 years.I've had no problems with them.Cheaper than user big ovens.

karmae, Feb 13, 12:19am
I will phone NL see what they say, but from past experience once item out of 12 mths gtee they wont do any thing. I tried quoting the consumer gtee act once with a staff member there and he just kept shouting you didnt buy the 5 yr extended warranty.Gave up as I needed to use the computer and paid a repair person to fix it.Maybe I'll try phoning now. am up for this before food !

karmae, Feb 13, 12:43am
Yep knew it a total waste of time. NL only interested in 12 mths. They would sent it back to manufacturer if I was claiming under CG act, and that could take along time.month or so. They said it was quicker for me to contact manufacturer direct. Did that. they said after the 12 mths they only give an additional 6 months to cover the CG Act. This means despite their product nearly bursting into flames if its Sunbeam its only covered for 18 months. I just recalulated my months and its actually 21.
So off to not NL and no Sunbeam products. Had an old secnd hand Zip one and that was still going years later but misplaced the trays. Might see if I've still got that somewhere.

2bakerz, Feb 13, 3:59am
Well I've had my Sunbeam (with solid plate on top) for at least 12 years and it was 2nd hand then.I use it almost every day when oven cooking is called for.Must admit I don't use the element now that's it's in the house and not in the 'van.

karmae, Feb 13, 4:10am
Seems that older things were made better, think my zip one is 10 years old. Had an old deep fryer that still went when I tried it (hadn't been used in about 14yrs) and it was 35 yrs old. Fridge only just packed up and that was 30 yars old. Still got 30yr old jug (one that doesn't turn off) but put it away to get newer one that turns off. Been through 3 new ones in 4 yrs.
Mother's had her new washing machine fixed twice in 8 months