Ganache disaster - Help!

bella430, Feb 11, 9:16pm
I have made ganache from (Jo Seagers Book - for chocolate mud cake) but it has separated into oil and unsmooth chocolate. I used Green and Black 85% cocoa solids chocolate. I have taken the beater to it, which has improved things but it is not right. Can anyone help!

bella430, Feb 11, 9:58pm
Bumping for help!

lx4000, Feb 11, 10:01pm
how did you make it! eg choco over bubbling water, microbe!

poppy62, Feb 11, 10:04pm
If any amount of water has gotten to the chocolate, it will separate and be awful.You also need to make sure that the pan you have used to melt the chocolate has not touched the simmering water underneath.

bella430, Feb 11, 10:29pm
Oh thanks. It looks like I have used chocolate with too high a percentage of cocoa solids! What a waste of money!

bella430, Feb 11, 10:32pm
I have put half or the ganache on the cake. I will try whisking the other half again and see what happens.

deus701, Feb 11, 10:33pm
You can try adding a teaspoon of glucose and use a hand blender and blend it. Using a whisk will put in too much air

bella430, Feb 11, 10:35pm
If I dont have glucose, will icing sugar do it!

bella430, Feb 12, 10:56pm
Thanks to all. Because of pressure of time, I tried icing sugar with the electric hand beater and it worked! Saved the day. However, there was at least twice as much ganache as required to cover the top and sides of the cake, so I have heaps left. Next time I think I might skip the ganache. I don't think it added anything to the taste. The cake itself and mousse filling were divine.

seniorbones, Feb 13, 3:46am
the only ganache I make now is .equal amounts ofchocolate andcream (i.e. 250gms of choco and 250mls of cream)heat cream to almost boiling and pour over the chocolate which has been broken up and in a heat proof bowl, leave for a minute and beat together cool a little before icing the cake and leave to set, easy and no mucking around with post of hot water etc

lodgelocum, Feb 13, 7:00am
This is the correct way of making ganache, fail proof.

motgirl, Feb 14, 2:09am
Same here but I use 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part cream and 3 parts white and milk choc.If the weather is really hot then I up the the chocolate a bit more.
These ratio's make a ganache that sets up firm on the cake and makes a smooth base for covering with fondant

suenz75, Feb 14, 6:55pm
I was going to come in and start the exact same thread.So want is the magic answer!Adding glucose or binning it and starting it again!Its such an expensive mistake to make.I wonder if the humidity has anything to do with it!I covered it with gladwrap and left it in a cool place outside of the fridge so maybe some condensation happened under the gladwrap that I couldn't see before I stirred the set stuff with the runnier centre because it looked fine last night.

motgirl, Feb 15, 1:21am
I am in Brisbane Suenz75 and have no problems with my ganache and high humidity, more problems with heat so I keep mine in a wine fridge at about 18 degrees during summer.I think the OP's problem was the chocolate she used, for dark chocolate around 50% cocoa solids is best.

suenz75, Feb 15, 2:19am
'

I used 50% Dark Chocolate.When I say grainy I don't mean the sugary consistency when it its overheated, this is tiny lumps of chocolate suspended in ganache.

deus701, Feb 15, 3:46am
suenz75, do you mean grainy texture! it could mean you agitate/stir it too much. You can rewarm it slightly (below 40 degrees if possible) and attempt to fix or stir it to form an emulsion before it sets.

When i made ganache in skycity, we used an industrial hand blender and start from the middle. It forms an emulsion from the inside out. Since its a huge amount of ganache, screwing up is not an answer.

Sometimes if it splits, we add a teaspoon of glucose to give its 'shine' back.but it wouldnt look as good as properly made ganache.Its better than bein crushed, and have your soul broken by the head pastry chef.

pamols, Feb 15, 4:04am
Yes grainy with tiny bits of solid chocolate in the ganache.I am testing a small part by heating it in a bain marie and then cooling it down again in a cold water bain marie and so far so good.I think what has happened is that I tried mixing two very different consistencies (the outside was set and the middle of the bowl was still runnyish) together and it has made the lumps.

deus701, Feb 15, 4:12am
i would not cool it in cold water bain marie. Ganache needs time to set, i usually place gladwrap over the surface so it does not form a skin.and leave it on the bench at room temperature to cool.

Refrigeration also has a detrimental effect on choc. You can get formation of sugar bloom due to humidity n condensation. Also once the ganache is returned to room temperature, it will be too soft n hard to work with (something to do with the fat crystals forming unstable crystal forms).

all this mumbo jumbo deals with couverture or good quality choc. You be fine if you use the cheap choc/compound

deus701, Feb 15, 4:13am
when i make ganache in small amounts, i just pour the hot cream over the choc. Let it sit awhile n with a spatula, form small circles from the middle.it gradually forms an emulsion. Also if you stir too much, it will separate out (kinda like making mayonaise)

seano7, Feb 16, 5:12am
lesson chefs school 101 2 parts two five. Simple 200 ml of cream. to 500 grams of dark chocolate. Please dont buy just any chocolate. good quality cooking chocolate is the best the you can freeze it. Method now this is easy. get you cream to a nice boil add a pinch of salt add 100 grams of chocolate at a time timm all in the pot and stir for ten seconds take of heat and leave to stand till tacky