Chocolate ganache?

sarahb5, Sep 25, 11:26pm
Cream and chocolate melted together in a saucepan over low heat, or in a bowl over simmering water - which is safest/easiest!

lilyfield, Sep 25, 11:41pm
Over hot water, or microwave with frequent stirring

korban, Sep 26, 12:57am
I use this
1½ cups cream
450 grams chocolate melts

Bring cream to the boil, turn off heat, stir in chocolate until all melted.Stir really well
Keep in fridge until firm

lodgelocum, Sep 26, 1:39am
This is the way to do ganache.

sarahb5, Sep 26, 2:06am
I've made it before but the recipe I pulled out this morning said to put the cream and chocolate in a saucepan and stir over low heat until the chocolate melts.I'm pretty sure I would've melted it in a bowl over simmering water before but just wondered if I was making life more difficult for myself than I need to.

valentino, Sep 26, 2:38am
When melting choc with anything else as noted or stated from a recipe then it is okay to do it as such.

I normally heat the cream (and butter if it is called for) until hot enough without boiling or coming to a simmer then remove from the heat add choc pieces and stir until all has mixed then put it aside until cooler and thickened to use.

But I think you already know this.

Cheers

sarahb5, Sep 26, 3:09am
Huh!

korban, Sep 26, 3:35am
Just bring the cream to the boil, take off heat and melt the chocolate into the cream - it really is easy.

valentino, Sep 26, 5:17am
Yeah, if recipe noted as such then do it, otherwise why would a recipe be written as such if you could not do it.

And korban, exactly - the best method.

sarahb5, Sep 26, 8:46am
As always, one art très, très verbose hence my confusion.

I was just questioning the method described in the recipe because I was sure that wasn't how I'd done it before.It wasn't - when I got home tonight I found my usual recipe and the instructions were to melt the chocolate in the cream in bowl over simmering water, which is what I did.

jcdm, Sep 27, 2:59am
Always over water .never directly on the heat.I make it often just put the chocolate and cream in a bowl over the water mix until melted

deus701, Sep 27, 4:55am
I usually chop the choc into small bits n place in a bowl while I bring a pot of cream up to the boil. Then i pour the hot cream into the bowl with the chopped choc, let it sit 20seconds, then use a spatula and stir in small circlesfrom the middle till it forms a thick emulsion, and continue stirring in larger outward circle till the mixture is homogenous. Or use a stick blender for larger amounts. It helps if the choc has melted abit too.

I do this frequently as sometimes I infuse the cream with (teabags, coffee beans, etc) and can strain the cream while tipping it into the bowl of choc.

jphs, Sep 29, 12:21am
This is how I do it as well.
Though I tend to smash up the chocolate and out it into another bowl and pour the cream onto it. That way there is no residual heat left in the bottom of your saucepan which can overheat the chocolate a bit.
I use the same volume in mL of cream as the grams of chocolate you have.
i.e a 350g bar of chocolate will have 350 mL of cream added to it.
Remember the better the chocoate the better your ganache will be.
The best in the known universe is Valrhona and I prefer about 60% cocoa solids. More than that is a bit too bitter for me.

jphs, Sep 29, 12:28am
Teabags! What like earl grey with white chocolate!
I have used whiskey, cointreau etc with dark chocolate ganache.
It is always a risk to melt your chocolate first and don't know why you would bother really. In a bain marie is safer BUT if you get a splash of water in the chocolate you can split it into an untempered gravelly mess if you are not careful.

sarahb5, Sep 29, 3:09am
I've never seen Valrhona chocolate but I use Whittakers 50% cocoa and equal measures like you but 200g/200ml was plenty for a nice thick covering on the cake

deus701, Sep 29, 4:02pm
Yes, earl grey with dark couverture. . usually in a stainless steel bowl, and place on top of the pot of cream that I brought up to the boil and left to infuse with teabags. I normally use white choc/couverture with tart flavours like passionfruit or mango. I usually temper it first so basically its already melted and ready to go.

deus701, Sep 29, 4:10pm
Perhaps you can try specialty food shops. Some say Valrhona is the best, while others might say Amedei.but I wont say no to a block of Valrhona Manjari.

sarahb5, Sep 29, 10:52pm
Oh yeah because we have lots of speciality food shops in New Plymouth NOT!And the one we did have that sold couverture (sp) hasn't had any for ages .

muritai142, Sep 30, 3:11am
I always do mine in the microwave. 30 second bursts with stirring inbetween. Always turns out perfect.

stormywaiwera, Sep 30, 3:38am
adding a little butter makes it glossy and looking a little more pro than the matt finish you get without it

sarahb5, Sep 30, 3:49am
Mine didn't have a matt finish - was very smooth and glossy looking

jphs, Sep 30, 6:35am
Yes I like using that one too. The Valrhona choc is only for verrry special occasions as it costs +++
If you use 200g/200 mL what are you going to have for leftovers! :0)