Ginger beer storage

littleblackhen, Feb 5, 5:35am
Hi i have made ginger beer and put in those glass v8 bottles you buy at grocery shop and i just thought will glass explode. If so should i transfer them to a plastic bottle.TIA

littleblackhen, Feb 5, 6:46am
Thanks pickles7,now done

jellabie, Feb 5, 6:48am
yep, heaps better in plastic fizzy drink bottles, glass can explode.just as important: open them very slowly outdoors. I had ginger beer from ceiling to floor last year when I opened the first bottle!

makespacenow, Feb 5, 7:15am
yes plastic bottles are much better.few years ago we kept hearing bang in the middle of the night.in the morning our garage smelled like ginger beer, the floor was all sticky and wet and broken glass was everywhere.yes open them slowly, the ones that didn't explode and were opened in a hurry 'shot' the lid right across the road! and we had ginger foam all over the driveway :D

whitehead., Feb 5, 7:28am
DONT ever use beer bottles they explode and shatter glass all over the place . one goes and the lot join in

lindylambchops1, Feb 5, 7:55am
I love homemade ginger beer!Always put mine in plastic bottles & I don't fill them right to the top.I also open very slowly!

Cheers!

pickles7, Feb 5, 8:08am
If you squeeze the bottles after filling and as the lids go on. A good indication the fizz is there is when the bottles take on there original shape.

fisher, Feb 5, 8:15am
Here's the deal.fill the plastic bottle leaving about 3 inches from the top. squeeze and place cap on. place in a cool spot. when the bottles become hard,.place them in the fridge to stop the process and they wont then explode.

littleblackhen, Feb 5, 8:41pm
New dilemma,the plastic bottles are really tight and won't stand up by themselves.The recipe said it would take two days and it will be ready.So should we put them in the fridge!

fisher, Feb 5, 9:29pm
YES!Lay them flat and lay a tea towel or two over the top of them. just in case.:}

daleaway, Feb 5, 10:37pm
Put them in a carton to keep them upright, maybe with scrunched kitchen towel between them. When plastic bottles are just filled, they feel "normal" - when the bottles get tight after a couple of days, they are ready to go in the fridge to stop them fermenting any further.

Another tip: when you take ginger beer to a picnic or barbecue, let the bottles stand still for half an hour to settle down, before opening - they won't burst out, that way.

elliehen, Feb 5, 11:20pm
If you want to make life easy, there's a real ginger syrup by Buderim, Queensland, to which you can simply add some fizz as you go to make instant ginger beer.Makes a nice hot ginger drink too.