Donut Maker - one at a time

kvb, Jan 29, 2:11am
Years (many) ago, at an Industries Fair or A&P Show in ChCh I purchased a single donut maker.It was a cast iron or aluminium ring with a hole in it (like a donut sliced in half) into which you poured the mixture.It had a wire handle - which used to get hot.Pretty much like a soup ladle.After putting the mixture in, you dipped it into hot oil,The donut would 'pop' up/off the ladle and you just had to turn it to cook the other side.I still have the old instructions and receipe sheet for it but alas, the maker has 'disappeared'.No contact is on the recipe sheet which I had cut to fit and pasted in my very old recipe book.Does anyoneknow what I am talking about and/or know where I might find one!My children and I had such fun making donuts for Sunday night teas and I would like to do the same with my grandchildren or do I need to resort to one of the latest appliances!

elliehen, Jan 29, 6:39am
If you put "vintage donut maker" into Google you get a lot of links and images, but nothing that looks quite like the one you describe.

korbo, Jan 29, 8:18am
mmmm, you have just stirred up memories. I am sure I have one somewhere, and can still remember Mum making them on a sunday night too. tomorrow is hunting day. I wouldnt imagine you could buy one today.

kvb, Jan 29, 8:56am
No, I don't think they would sell today - too many modern ways to do it, but a lot of fun.If you do have one and would sell, I would love it

kvb, Jan 29, 9:08am
BUT if you don't wish to selli, and no longer have the recipes, then let me know and I can let you have them

korbo, Jan 29, 6:46pm
recipe please. thank you

jan2242, Jan 29, 8:02pm
I am sure I have one here too. Remember buying it at the Easter show a very long time ago. Do you want me to post if I find it!

elliehen, Jan 29, 9:34pm
Please list it if you wish to.I for one would be interested in placing a bid.

uli, Jan 29, 10:31pm
In Europe donuts are made from a yeast dough, rolled out and cut out and fried in hot oil. So your recipe must be different!

http://www.rei97.de/mr-fotoart/galerie/kuechenstudio/content/Fasnachtskuechle_IMG_6035_01_large.html

kvb, Jan 30, 12:45am
Korbo - your recipe is coming - half way thru being typed so may take a day or two now as we have visitors.I would really like to get hold of one of these so if anyone lists one can you please let me know - use my name kvb at the ihug place

timturtle, Jan 30, 1:02am

evorotorua, Jan 30, 1:02am
I found this on the internet. Is it similar!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Doughnut-Waffle-Fritters-Maker-Set-Instructions-Kitchenalia-/220940093138
Even if it's not what you are after.how cool!

evorotorua, Jan 30, 1:11am
This is interesting. I found some online that are new. http://fantes.com/donuts.html
They are called donut ladles. Thanks for the adventure!

kvb, Jan 30, 2:27am
Oh, this is great - that is exactly the thing - I will look into getting a couple shipped out.They are fun.Did you come across any other adventurous things while you were looking!

evorotorua, Jan 30, 3:03am
Glad I could help. The internet is a dangerous thing. I used Google Images for this one and it just keeps going and going. I would like to know what the other utensil is for. It looks a bit like a branding iron so I am a little confused!

timturtle, Jan 30, 3:14am
Think it is the waffle maker, to make the cuts thru it ! !

purplegoanna, Jan 30, 3:24am
i had one i got of here.i cant remember wether it took it to the sallies or not.i think i did.

elliehen, Jan 30, 4:36am
Are you going to list this sought-after antique!

jan2242, Jan 30, 4:40am
I really have no idea what the thing is worth to be honest.

jan2242, Jan 30, 7:32am
It is now listed

books4nz, Jan 31, 3:02am
I found one at an Opp shop a few months ago, keep a check, or ask the people to contact you if one is brought in.