Bread maker bread

Page 1 / 2
juddy1, May 16, 7:09am
Hi....what/how is the best way to cut this bread without wrecking the bread too much...ive tried a serated knife,standard sharp knife,but its still a very hard process.Dad uses an electric knife when he buys fresh bread.
Do i have to buy one of these too?
help..............

nicki5, May 16, 7:11am
I've been making my own bread (well twice, lol, 2nd time tonight) and I find an electric knife best. I got mine half price at Farmers I think, otherwise Briscoes

lilyfield, May 16, 7:14am
yes- here too- electric knife or breadslicer machine.

joybells2, May 16, 7:18am
We use a good serrated edge knife.

juddy1, May 16, 7:24am
So do we,how do you stop it from ripping while cutting it though?
I don't cut thick slices,is that my problem?
2cm slices max.

lizab, May 16, 7:30am
Electric knife here too, the slices are always nice and even.

juddy1, May 16, 7:31am
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

juddy1, May 16, 8:13am
anybody else?

kinna54, May 16, 9:00am
Yep electric knife here (warehouse around $20- $25, Farmers had good ones on special) and we have the slicer guide thing. Otherwise one of the very long knives with a fine serated edge, you used to get them a lot in older knife sets.

juddy1, May 16, 9:19am
Whats a slicer guide thing?

fifie, May 16, 9:31am
Yep def electric knife, the slicer guide i have juddy came from briscoes its a square plate with slotted sides that fold up when you sit your bread on it and you slice between the gaps getting even slices every time. Brilliant for large loaves.

juddy1, May 16, 9:46am
nice,thanx fifie

winnie231, May 16, 10:22am
Yup - for fluffy commercial-type fresh bread you need an electric knife & slicer guide.
And be patient!!! Don't try and push the knife through the bread ... you'll just squish it!
If you make/buy a heavier, central european type bread like rye sourdough then a regular bread knife works fine.

graemehw, May 16, 10:51am
A good quality bread knife - I have one that's a quite weighty - rest in on loaf with NO additional downward force - then lots of strokes - it will still be fairly quick- ie the weight of the knife & many strokes ( saw motions ).
The more warm it is - the harder to slice - still should work well - with hot bread

nzhel, May 16, 11:36am
Yep an electric knife should do the trick - I never use anything else to cut fresh bread otherwise it gets squashed. Just make sure if you get one that the cord is of decent length. The one I have now has a much too short cord which makes it a little difficult cutting the bread.

fester7, May 17, 2:58am
I have a "forever sharp" knife bought from a demo in warehouse ( you know the "but wait there's more" sort of carry on) I've ended up with two and they cut hot fresh bread.I even take them with me when I go to friends/family for lunch as I hate blunt knives and squashed bread!

juddy1, May 17, 5:58am
Yum...
made one similar the other day,but didnt put in enough raisins etc.
Do you use a base mix/pack thingee?

lythande1, May 17, 6:27am
LOL. It's too crusty, adjust the recipe, you shouldn't need to have to saw at it, and an electric knife is no better than a good hand knife.

juddy1, May 17, 7:09am
Hi.what/how is the best way to cut this bread without wrecking the bread too much.ive tried a serated knife,standard sharp knife,but its still a very hard process.Dad uses an electric knife when he buys fresh bread.
Do i have to buy one of these too!
help.

nicki5, May 17, 7:11am
I've been making my own bread (well twice, lol, 2nd time tonight) and I find an electric knife best. I got mine half price at Farmers I think, otherwise Briscoes

juddy1, May 17, 7:24am
So do we,how do you stop it from ripping while cutting it though!
I don't cut thick slices,is that my problem!
2cm slices max.

mum99, May 17, 7:57am
aren't they fantastic fester!!! yup couldn't do without mine ... juddy i just used the recipe on here but used all white bread with 2 cups raisins and 4ish teaspoons mixed spice - kids love it but not as spicy as the store bought ones.

juddy1, May 17, 8:13am
anybody else!

juddy1, May 17, 8:20am
Whats to be adjusted?
I was strictly follwing the instructions on the pre-mix packet

juddy1, May 17, 8:22am
Nice ....But how do you get it to be the same colour as store brought spice breads?