Bread in fridge?

cmjury1, Jan 21, 8:08am
i buy bread and 2 days later it goes off,
i was told it lasts in fridge true or false!

lodgelocum, Jan 21, 8:12am
Or you could freeze it and take out as needed.

cmjury1, Jan 21, 8:18am
i normally do the lasti pulled out of freezer did the same i thought it could be the bread

picxie, Jan 21, 8:18am
I do what lodgelocum suggested - freeze it and just take out what I want when I need it.

soph001, Jan 21, 9:38am
In summer my expensive freya's goes mouldy very quickly if left out. So I put it in the fridge, lasts way longer.

kevymtnz, Jan 21, 9:43am
freeze or chill bread!
i buy 2 bread every 2nd day the rest goes out to the birds
would never chill or freeze it

sarahb5, Jan 21, 9:52am
Why not!I buy 4 loaves a week on a Friday.They go straight into the freezer and we remove just what we're going to use.When the weather is humid it sweats if left in the bag in the warm kitchen so it goes mouldy.I'm not going to spend over $4 on a loaf (we buy Ploughmans or Freyas) and have to throw it out for the birds after a day or so.

nfh1, Jan 21, 9:56am
Yes me too sarahb5 - I buy Ploughmans and just get it out by the slice (or two).

fisher, Jan 21, 10:30am
oooohhh mouldy sweaty bread.::}

barbra1, Jan 21, 10:46am
It's best to freeze it. if it's just put in the fridge, the bread yeast keeps working and it will develope mould, especially with the current humidity. frozen will stophis and the bread is usable for much longer.

kuaka, Jan 21, 10:52am
I buy several loaves at a time, and freeze the lot, but I do take out a whole loaf and keep it in the bread bin.In the past when I've had trouble with bread going mouldy after a couple of days (it's usually when the weather is very humid) it's because it was close to it's best before date when purchased.I always look for bread that has about five days to go before it's "best before date", so try to go to the shop just after they have a delivery, as they do tend to put the fresh stuff at the front, and the stuff left over from yesterday eventually gets to the front when the fresh stuff has sold out.Sometimes there are loaves there with 3 or 4 different dates on them.

narnas1, Jan 21, 11:20am
We usually get 10 - 12 loaves a week and it goes straight in the freezer, get a loaf out when needed. Do the same with the milk 6 x 3L/week and straight in the freezer, take out when needed

nan99, Jan 21, 5:12pm
I too freeze my bread and just take out when needed.I also make up my own milk with milk powder which works out a lot cheaper (about $0.90 per litre) and it tastes just like bought milk - no difference whatsoever.

kuaka, Jan 21, 9:07pm
Really - which brand of milk powder do you use!I'm all for saving money on groceries and anything I can do to cut down the grocery bill would be a help.

nan99, Jan 21, 9:20pm
I use anchor milk power - trim.I use 3/4 c of milk powder to 1 litre of water - honestly you can't tell the difference either with cereal or in tea/coffee or baking.There are a lot of different brands - think they are sold in the tea/coffee isle of supermarket.

elliehen, Jan 21, 10:28pm
I use Countdown's Home Brand (red and white packet) - 1kg of skim milk powder for under ten dollars.

kuaka, Jan 22, 12:00am
I always used to buy Meadowfresh Calci-trim, but have switched to the 1 litre sachets of trim milk.It's not got added calcium though, which I suspect my old bones should have.

taurus2005, Jan 22, 12:21am
I keep my bread in the fridge, freezer if I have extra.

sarahb5, Jan 22, 3:20am
Yeah we freeze our milk as well - buy 12 litres on a Friday, freeze the lot and usually have to buy more during the week as well but the freezer's not big enough to hold more than that

teddy147, Jan 22, 3:46am
i always store it in my freezer, given the price of bread now, vogel bread goes mouldy after a few days if in the bread bin.

raebee, Jan 22, 3:55am
i store my grainy nice bread in the freezer and take out as needed.the homebrand normal wheatmeal bread goes in fridge for DD and DP as it's only normally toasted anyway.+stockpile in the freezer.But sooo nice to have fresh bread sandwiches (from non fridged or frozen bread!) when we can.