Baking to take camping, biscuits that'll last

dibble35, Jan 16, 9:46pm
Hi, going camping from saturday for upto a week depending on the weather. Was thinking of making peanut brownies, peanut butter biscuits and american style brownies. Will these keep ok in the heat!, just worried as they all have butter in them. Any other suggestions of nice biscuits that'll last much appreciated - recipes included of course:-) thanks

supercook, Jan 17, 12:51am
Rice bubble cake

elliehen, Jan 17, 12:57am
There's a tramping biscuit called 'Tararua Biscuits' and Alison Holst has a recipe for 'Scroggin Biscuits'.I'll see if I can find the recipes for you.

elliehen, Jan 17, 1:01am
ALISON HOLST'S SCROGGIN BISCUITS

Chef: Dame Alison Holst as heard on Nine To Noon Monday 24 May 2004

Tags: baking, camping, biscuits, scroggin

Makes about 80 biscuits
Ingredients

200g butter, softened
¼ cup peanut butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla or almond essence
1½ cups standard (plain) flour*
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup sultanas
½ cup chopped walnuts
*Use ¼ cup less flour if using instant rolled oats.

Method

Heat oven to 180°C (170°C fanbake), with oven rack just below the middle. Line a baking tray with baking paper or a Teflon liner.

Mix or beat the softened butter and the next five ingredients together in a large bowl, then sieve or sift in 1 cup of the flour and the baking soda. Mix in the remaining flour and everything else, using a wooden spoon or your hand.

Shape with two spoons or put flattened rounds of mixture onto prepared tray, leaving some space for spreading, baking one tray while you shape more biscuits.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until lightly browned. While biscuits are warm, lift them onto a cooling rack. When cold, store in an airtight container.

This recipe makes the equivalent of nearly six 200 gram packs of biscuits which, as many mothers have told me over the years, disappear at an amazing rate!

cgvl, Jan 17, 2:40am
yes they will keep okay.
I take peanut brownies, choc chip biscuits and another sort as well as a loaf and they keep fine. Suggest that if you are relying on a chilly bin to keep food cold/cool to pop it in a nice shaded spot.
Things that don't keep so well are cakes and muffins.

dibble35, Jan 17, 3:16am
Ellis thanks for those recipes, like the sound of the scroggin biscuits, will have a go at them for sure and cgvl, thanks to, knew they would keep for a few days at least - dont last very long in our house as they get scoffed to fast. But nice to know they wont go off in the heat. Thanks.

buzzy110, Jan 17, 4:33am
Anzac biscuits - so named because these are what Down Under women made to send to their boys on the European Front - or so the story goes. They have great lasting abilities.

elliehen, Jan 17, 4:37am
I have made these using sunflower seeds instead of walnuts and they really are delicious and nutritious.

davidt4, Jan 17, 5:27am
I understand that the story isn't actually true, however Anzac buscuits certainly last.I once took a huge batch of them to Hong Kong and they lasted us the whole month that we were there!

bella95, Jan 17, 8:01am
Try Yorkshire parkin. Yummy!
According to Wikipedia, the purists say it should be at least a week old before it's eaten.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/yorkshireparkin_83745