Eggs Benedict

Page 1 / 2
jcsolgier, Jan 9, 10:52pm
My hubby adores eggs bene, and always orders it when we go out to a cafe (all day breakfast, please!). We have made it a few times with the chef's hollandaise in the chiller at the supermarket, but I would love to have a go at making it myself.
However, we don't have a food processor, and all the recipes in my cookbooks looked horribly intimidating and very easy to stuff up.
As free range eggs are not cheap - does anyone have a relatively simple but yummy hollandaise recipe I could try!
TIA

seniorbones, Jan 9, 10:58pm
Thats the only H/sauce I buy its delicous and keeps well too. sorry I don't have a recipe without using a blender or food processor, I think you need one unless you have someone thatcan slowly pour the oil in while you beat the eggs etc, its also yummy on cooked fresh asparagus too or fish.

uli, Jan 9, 11:00pm
This is a "simple" version:

225g of butter
3 large egg yolks
2 tbsp of hot water
1 tbsp of lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne or pepper

Melt the butter slowly. Once the butter has melted, remove the pan from the heat.

In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Whilst continuing to whisk, add the lemon juice, salt and cayenne or pepper to the beaten egg yolks.

Then very slowly to begin with, whisk in the melted butter and the 2 tbsp of water. Continue to whisk constantly.

Return the mixture to the saucepan, heat over a very low heat, still whisking all the time until the sauce thickens.

Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 30 minutes before serving.

jcsolgier, Jan 9, 11:01pm
Seniorbones - We do have a blender, it did not occur to me to use this (I blame the blonde and late nights)
Thanks Uli - that looks fairly simple. Does it keep very well!

smileeah, Jan 9, 11:03pm
I would try the method in Uli's post as opposed to using a blender. I had trouble when I tried the blender method.

pickles7, Jan 9, 11:04pm
I use a hand whisk, but don't use a recipe. I am on Auto when I make it. sorry. You will get a better idea on, You tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=idq9DRbMZ7I

uli, Jan 9, 11:05pm
I don't usually keep it longer than 10 minutes - because then it is either on the asparagus or the spinach (folded into an omelette) or the eggs benedict and then it gets eaten LOL :)

pickles7, Jan 9, 11:08pm
too fast uli. lol.

jcsolgier, Jan 9, 11:13pm
Haha fair enough! Sorry for the inquisition, but how much does it make! Enough for two dishes!

davidt4, Jan 9, 11:14pm
Hollandaise will keep well in the fridge for a few days, but you will need to warm it very slowly and carefully or it will split.It doesn't need to be all that hot - just warm is enough.

uli, Jan 9, 11:15pm
At least, if not 4!

gingercrush, Jan 9, 11:28pm
I liked the edmonds recipe. I've done it a few times and I am a useless cook. Though I do just use maggi packet stuff because I am a messy cook and ease of doing so.

50g Butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup cream
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a double boiler (I just used two pots one). Add lemon juice, egg yolks and cream. Cook stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add mustard and salt and beat until smooth.

richard198, Jan 9, 11:36pm
That's the one I use (bowl over pan). Sometimes three yoilks, sometimes milk and premixed mustard etc.
Makes a mockery of 90% of "hollandaise" served up in cafes these days!

gingercrush, Jan 9, 11:38pm
Yes its amazing how horrible some of the ones at cafes are. But meh I have stuffed taste buds so packet stuff is fine. But I really should have another go at doing hollandaise sauce again. I suppose you could add lime in addition to the lemon or even just replace the lemon with lime.

richard198, Jan 10, 12:24am
I've tried lime (and I love lime in lots of things) but it just doesn't seem as nice as lemon in this case.

gerry64, Jan 10, 2:10am
Yes I use the same recipe as gingercrush you dont need anything except a bowl that fits over a saucepan and a hand whisk - takes no time at all really and is yummy

nzl99, Jan 10, 6:26am
The one I make most days I heat the butter in the nuke till bubbling hot and use a stick blender. No pots. Takes about three mins to a perfect hollindaise every time.

richard198, Jan 10, 6:39am
How do you cook the egg yolks!

prawn_whiskas, Jan 10, 6:46am
By the heat of the double boiler used while emulsifying the egg and butter.

nails6, Jan 10, 7:56am
This is the one I use.It is simple and is also good for those who are gluten free:http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/4832/hollandaise+sauce

kylie_m, Jan 10, 8:02am
I've made this recipe a few times. It's dead easy and always works out well. http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/4300237/Mastering-eggs-Benny

richard198, Jan 10, 10:44am
That's how I cook my egg yolks!
I was referring to nzl99's method of microwaving butter then adding ingredients!

nzl99, Jan 10, 5:59pm
The heat from the butter cooks them and thickens them perfectly.Have never had it too runny, thick or split using this method and love that it's so quick.

nzl99, Jan 10, 6:06pm
Sorry, was on silly phone last night when I typed that post and was too tricky to use the tiny buttons for a long post. ;-)

So. I melt 500gms of butter in the nuke until it's simmering. while it's reaching that point I use the stick blender to get started on the eggy bit in a large plastic jug. 6-8 yolks depending on size, s&p, a pinch of cayene, juice from a couple of lemons. then add simmering butter in the usual way, stick blender going the whole time. adjust seasoning at the end.

richard198, Jan 10, 8:23pm
Gotcha!.
Edit: 500gm! Assume 50gm!