Can you freeze cabbage to cook with later?

dusty39, Jan 9, 1:46am
I have 10 ready to use in the garden and need to find way of preserving them fast!I am considering trying to make a small amount of sauerkraut.

pickles7, Jan 9, 1:51am
you can, but it may not be nice to eat later. give them away. there are fanilies who would love a cabbage. food bank, maybe.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 1:51am
You could slice it, blanch and freeze in bags.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 1:55am
No, actually , scrub that. Cabbage apparently is one vege that is unsuitable to freeze.

lilyfield, Jan 9, 2:52am
I have frozen small amounts- add to stir fry at the last minute or stews and soups. Not blanched just cut up and bagged- like silverbeet.

wheelz, Jan 9, 3:05am
yukkkk

uli, Jan 9, 3:48am
Yep - make sauerkraut. Good raw as salad or cooked. Healthy too if that is of any interest.

AND you can then freeze the sauerkraut if you do not want to eat it all in a week or two. Lovely in winter with ham and sausages.

mothergoose_nz, Jan 9, 7:13am
relation froze cabbage.b****y awful.put you of for life.pickle it as sauekraut or something

dusty39, Jan 9, 7:41am
well that was a rather definite answer! LOL thanks
So sauerkraut it is for my first try.

tich50, Jan 9, 12:52pm
useatleastonetomakeabigcasserole / stewwithmeatanddon'taddpotatoesyet.iliketoaddclovesandnutmeg.makesuremeatisbrownednicelywithonionsbeforeyouaddthecabbage.when3/4done,coolandfreezeinportionlotsandwhenneeded,defrost,addpotatoesandslowlycookuntilpotatoesareready.Don'tfreezepotatoeswithit.Yumm