Homemade "kfc"

claudeandstu, Jan 6, 6:59am
I am pregnant and WANT KFC. Not game to buy it so thought I'd try and vaguely replicate it.
Any ideas!

tinkagirl, Jan 6, 7:00am
Buy those packets of chicken coat, they are great and actually much nicer than kfc

rchelley, Jan 6, 7:03am
We use this recipe (Alison Holst) regularly.we think it is much nicer than KFC

http://www.radionz.co.nz/genre/recipes/paprika-chicken

margyr, Jan 6, 7:13am
i make up a mixture of, flour, salt and pepper, chilli powder, garlic powder, paprika, any other spices you want to add, put the chicken into water and then dip and coat in the flour mix, have some oil heating in your roasting dish and then put the chicken in, roast till cooked turn a couple of times, you can also put baking paper into roasting dish and then the oil and that way the chicken will not stick.

pink-dragon, Jan 6, 7:16am
Put kfc into the search box on the left of this screen and change 'date posted to 'last year' and a heap of threads about similar will come up

kinna54, Jan 6, 8:08am
I use the Alison Holst one as well. Another I have tried, which is a bit similar to the Zinger or wicked wing flavour is crushed cornflakes, cayenne and chicken herb stock.
Coat the chicken in natural yoghurt first and then crumb.

beastie3, Jan 6, 8:16am
Edmonds Cook n Coat (original) comes pretty close & is fast & easy.

gardie, Jan 6, 8:32am
Had this tonight for the first time with chicken thigh fillets.They were skinned so I put a thin slice of butter on each one prior to cooking - they were oh so naughty but oh so nice.

malcovy, Jan 6, 9:35am
There is a great sounding recipe I found once on the net and I don't remember where.If you find one that has 5 spice powder in it, my opinion is that it ruins all the other delicious flavours that you add.

nails6, Jan 7, 11:26am
I use this recipe, 1 tsp green herb powder, 1 sachet of Maggi Creme of Chicken Soup mix, Breadrumbs (cannot remember the exact amount however you can gauge).Toss all ingredients in a bag.Flour chicken pieces. Mix together in a bowl equal amounts of oil and butter then coat floured chicken pieces in this mixture before coating in the crumb mix.This is yummo and is enjoyed in our family with chicken gravy, creamy mashed potatoes and veges.

flower-child01, Jan 7, 11:37pm
To have utra crisp and moist chicken, fry the coated chicken in olive oil till crisp, then cook on a baking paper lined tray in a mod oven for one hour. It is devine. Beter than kfc.

uli, Jan 8, 1:04am
Why not simply roast an organic chicken!

However if pregnant AND worried - why not stick to beef or lamb as the more "harmless" version of meat.

accroul, Jan 8, 2:13am
Just not the same uli!

uli, Jan 8, 2:58am
I believe you (having no idea of kfc myself), but then I am not pregnant or "worried" about chicken either. Could be of course because I eat my own and know what they ate and how I killed and "processed" them .