Tangy Apricot Jam

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jan 3, 7:43am
Apricot Jam:
I have been making this jam for about five years now and it is the only one I make. The recipe is actually one from Morocco and is well worth making.
1.5kg ripe apricots, halved and six stones reserved.
1.5 kg of sugar. I use caster sugar as it dissolves far more quickly and makes a lovely clear jam ( a trick used at A&P show competitions)
1 or 2 small firm, pale skinned lemons, washed.
1/2 cup water.
Place apricots and sugar in a large non-reactive bowl. Use a hammer to gently open the stones to remove the kernel, being careful not to smash the kernel.
Split the kernels in half and add to bowl. Slice most of each lemon very thinly, reserving the unsliced portions for later. Add lemon slices and any pips to the bowl and mix the contents all together, then cover and set aside overnight. By morning, the juices will have come out of the fruit. Pour mixture into a large pan or preserving pan ( I use a stock pot) with the water. Place over medium heat for 5 mins, stirring to prevent mixture sticking, while sugar dissolves. Increase heat to fairly high and boil for about 15-20 minutes until mixture just starts to thicken and the temp reaches 105C. Skim off any yellow film and remove pan from the heat. Squeeze in the juice from the reserved lemons and stir. Carefully transfer jam to hot, sterlilized jars and seal. I use the "Waugh" cellophane seals that you can usually buy from New World in the red and green pack, just follow the instructions. Once the cellophane seals are tight, I then put on a screw top lid.

jarjarbinks01, Jan 3, 8:11am
Thank you for sharing this recipe--I've written it down--I love apricot jam--and this sounds delicious.

allurs, Jan 3, 8:12am
yumm thans for sharing

lindylambchops1, Jan 3, 8:17am
My fav jam.yum!

cookessentials, Jan 3, 8:21am
It really is so easy. I often make it up in the morning and by the time I get home from work, it's ready to cook up.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 3:08am
Made ten jars today and I have another 1.5 kg to prepare tomorrow morning so I can make it up after work. The Wairarapa grown apricots were beautiful, so I have done those as a separate batch I paid $6 per kilo for those ones and the Hawkes Bay ones from Pack N Save were $4 per kilo. So I should get 15-20 jars for $24 which is not too bad and of course, so much nicer than bought jam

clair4, Jan 8, 3:15am
Halved the recipe today and made 3 jars.I took the lemons out after cooking and the colour is so nice.Bought the apricots at PNSave.Tomorrow I am going to get some more, but will choose the real ripe ones.
Thanks for a lovely recipe.

cookessentials, Jan 8, 5:09am
You are very welcome. I leave the slices of lemon in. The trick is usng the caster sugar which dissolves far more quickly and gives a lovely clear jam. Just dont eat the apricot kernels. I use the "Waugh" cellophane covers and put them on as per the instructions onto the hot jars, they tighten as they cool and dry and then I pop a screw top lid on, they last really well.

newflover, Jan 8, 7:19am
Jam virgin here, any other tips you want to share with me!

cookessentials, Jan 8, 7:27am
Well, if you follow the recipe, you cant go wrong. Get firm,ripe fruit without blemishes. Use caster sugar. Make sure you stir the jam well and watch how high you have the heat because you dont want to butn the bottom. I thoroughly wash my jars, dry them and place on a tray in the oven at around 100C I use a ladle and funnel and put hot jam into hot jars, fillingto just below the top of jar. The cellophane circles go onto the hot jar. They will seal tight as the jar cools.

A really easy jam for newbies is raspberry jam, it is quick and easy also

newflover, Jan 8, 10:26am
I am off to look at the waugh cellophane seals cookessentials, hope they have them down here then.(Canterbury)Apricots are due to be ready mid Jan in Amberley so looking forward to having a go again this year, last year made sauce and what a flop, thickened etc, but tasted awful!So looking at giving other things a bash.I have Agee jars from my late mother in law in garage so will get some screw tops and I will be set!Thank you!Did not even know you could buy the cellophane ready to go!

edenrose, Jan 11, 11:55am
Hi, are the apricot kernels discarded before cooking!Is this where the pectin comes from!Thanks.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 5:11pm
If you dont have any luck, it looks like you can buy direct from Waugh according to their website.

cookessentials, Jan 11, 5:18pm
Hi edenrose, no, you cook them in witht the jam and, in fact, they stay in the jam ( I dont eat them) but if you wanted to remove them before you put the jam into the jars, then I dont see why you cant. The pectin will come from the lemons. When you add the sugar,apricots,lemons and kernels into the stock pot, you leave overnight and all the juices come out of the apricots to moisten the sugar which turns into a thick syrup almost. Then it's just a matter of heating gently to dissolve the sugar,then bringing to the boil. Because there are tissue thin slices of lemon in it and then remaining juice once it has thickened, it helps set your jam using the natural pectin from the lemons. I tried some yesterday and it has set beautifully. I have never bothered to use a thermometer, I boil ( carefully makinng sure you dont catch the bottom) for the 15 mins, then I put 1tsp of jam onto a saucer and let it cool. I then draw my finnger through it, you can tell if there is some resistance there and that the jam does not feel runny. Mine has set really firm. Using caster sugar makes it far quicker as the sugar will dissolve quickly and it gives you a lovely clear jam. Mine is a rich,deep orange colour and it's delicious. I am about to prepare some more shortly so I can make another batch tonight.

badams1, Jan 11, 6:28pm
heres an intresting peice of info for you all.Cookessentials, always enjoy your recipe postings. re the jam ,and apricot kernels, the pip, altho bitter, is the best ever natural defence and fighting tool for cancer.leave you with that guys.

dreamers, Jan 11, 8:01pm
I have made my Apricot jam like this for years and the taste is somuch nicer than plain jam.My mother grew up in Europe during the war and said they used to get the kernels out of the apricots during the summer to eat in the winter as nuts.

cgvl, Jan 11, 8:47pm
you can eat the kernals but not the stones.
As a substitute use blanched almonds (whole or halves). gives the same flavour/texture IMO and are safe to eat.

edenrose, Jan 21, 1:05am
Made the jam, looks good.Short of jars, had to use some bigger ones, do jam covers come in larger sizes!If not what else can I use to cover the jam!Will use lids for when they are opened.Thanks.

makespacenow, Jan 21, 1:58am
i was about to say i keep all the stones dry them in sun for few days then open.yum.but we use only about third of the sugar and use some pectin.for those that do not like lemons use a generous splash of amaretto before bottling.yum

makespacenow, Jan 21, 2:00am
You can put the kernels in a muslim cloth/cheese cloth easy to take out.

cookessentials, Jan 21, 4:21am
I just leave them in.

enjoytrademe, Jan 22, 4:02am
Is it possible to use limes instead of lemons as I have lots of limes and no lemons.I have often wondered if I could substitute in recipes generally - your thoughts would be appreciated. thanks

dbab, Jan 22, 5:34am
cookessentials,
As caster sugar is more expensive than regular sugar, could you blitz the regular sugar first in the food processor to make it finer.! I quite like the idea of clearer jam.

cookessentials, Jan 23, 7:10pm
I have never tried it, but you could give it a go. As I only make it once a year, I just buy the caster.

cookessentials, Jan 23, 7:10pm
Dont know if limes would do it.the citric acid, I am sure, would give the same results,but not totally sure.