Tangy Apricot Jam

Page 2 / 2
makespacenow, Jan 23, 7:15pm
You can reduce the sugar or leave out completely if you use pectin .either powder or home made liquid.
And yes you can use limes.
Also nice apricot&pineapple jam, apricot and mandarin jam, and apricot snd rum conserve but our fav is apricot amaretto jam.

bev00, Jan 23, 5:57am
it's the season!

davidt4, Jan 23, 6:15am
I find that lime juice turns bitter when cooked, unlike lemon juice.The zest is fine but not the juice.

cookiebarrel, Jan 23, 6:52am
Thanks for that lovely recipe cookessentials.

nauru, Jan 23, 7:18am
Yes, just give it a quick blitz, not too much or you will end up with icing sugar.I do this all the time, I never buy caster sugar anymore.I use a small processorattachment with my stick blender.

issymae, Jan 23, 8:00am
made apricot ginger conserve a couple of times ,really nice and tangy I think it might have been an Alison Holst recipe; Don't do jams and preserves nowthat I am on my own and no longer have the fruit trees

cookessentials, Jan 23, 8:26am
There is a great place in Clutha where you can buy direct. The apricots they have are WAY cheaper than up here. They charge about $18 for shipping 10kg of fruit.

cookessentials, Jan 23, 8:29am
http://www.mrsjonesorchard.co.nz/ this was in the weekend paper last week. Apricots and peaches are $4 per kg at present.

nicki5, Jan 23, 9:19am
the last time I made apricot jam I cut up some lovely orange dried apricots(not the pale yellow ones you sometimes see)into strips and added them towards the end of cooking. In the jam they added a nice texture and tangy flavour

moetus, Jan 23, 9:44pm
Hi,my mum always used the kernals in her apricot jam also her fruit salad jam yum. maureen

cookessentials, Jan 23, 11:10pm
The dried apricots from down South are beautiful. I notice that Mrs Jones Orchard sells dried fruit also.

elliehen, Jan 23, 11:16pm
The pale yellow plump apricots are Turkish imports.Look for New Zealand or Australian grown.They are more expensive, but more like a real apricot and less like a perfumed candy.

popeye333, Jan 23, 11:37pm
I donear enough to the same recipe. A Delia Smiths one. Using lemon juice not the fruit.
I make all my jam the same way, as in soaking the fruit and sugar over night. It works so much better.

camper18, Jan 24, 4:34am
Just back from the 6 weeks in the Sth Is an our motorhome. Took all my jars with me and came home with dozen bottles apricot sauce same of relish 28 jars jam & 27 bottled fruit. All set for the next year now. Sauce ones were $2 kilo and good ones $3.50. Only took me 3 mornings to do the lot.