Mint Vinaigrette

jt56, Jan 3, 1:20am
Does any one have a recipe for Mint Vinaigrette similar to the one that is made and sold by Strawberry Fare in Christchurch! I have missed them not being open but am looking forward to them being back this month. I normally stock up before Christmas but of course that wasn't a happening thing last year! Thanks.

pickles7, Jan 4, 9:03am
This maybe close ,to what you are looking for.
It kept very well, I used the last of it approx. 3 days ago

Low Calorie salad dressing.

1 cup vinegar. I used my own vinegar. white vinegar would be nice.
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of chopped mint leaves
1/2 tsp hot English mustard
1/4 tsp celery seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
##bring to boil then thicken using
2 level Tbsp cornflour
3 Tbsp vinegar
3 Tbsp water
##add 1 tsp of Sucaryl.
stir while it cools.

I have just made this, tastes good. I will keep you posted, as to how long it will keep.
This was superb on a lamb salad. It will be just as nice used as a dressing for any green salad, or new potato salad.

pickles7 (510 )12:19 pm, Mon 12 Dec #138

pickles7, Jan 4, 9:05am
Mint sauce
2 X 750 mil., bottles of sauce.
Mint in the garden is perfect right now.

Bring up to simmer;
4 cups of malt vinegar
1 cup of water
2 cups white sugar
3 tsp sea salt
Add 3 cups of chopped mint.
Bring up to boil , remove from the heat.
Cool, bottle and cap when cold.
I have thickened this a bit as well, keeps the mint suspended. A good keeper.

pickles7 (510 )5:57 pm, Sun 18 Sep #130

katalin2, Jan 4, 10:34am
Strawberry Fare is about to re open in Carlton Mill Road- upstairs above the motels just up from where Burger King was.

fisher, Jan 4, 11:05am
I make this in a magic bullet.
2-3tbs lime juice. 1 tsp lime zest. 2 spring onions all white and a little green. 1-2tbs fresh fine chopped mint.(yes, I chop it)1 tbs olive oil.2 pinches.salt.
wizz this up.
then addanother 3 tbs of olive oil and "pulse" a couple of times just to mix through.taste test.add more of anything you think it needs to your liking.

dixiechicks, Jan 5, 1:00am
Hi jt56, sorry I don't have a recipe for it, but it's great to know it's so popular.I'm in Welly and every summer pop into our Strawberry Fare to purchase Mint Vinagrette as I won't eat salad without it.Everyone who tastes it loves it.I'd be happy to post you some if you wish, just let me know.All the best.

jt56, Jan 5, 4:57am
Thank you everyone for your replies. A big thank you to dixiechicks for offering to procure it for me in Wellington! I just have to wait another day and they will be reopening here in Christchurch but I wanted a recipe so I could attempt to replicate it myself as it is a favourite in our house also.

jt56, Jan 5, 5:48am
Pickles7 - when you say you thicken the sauce what and how much do you use! Thanks.

chatsmom, Jan 5, 9:01am
This is a recipe which i use - pretty simple

1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
lots and lots of mint - prob 1-2 cups
3 tsp caster sugar (or to taste)
1 tsp dijon mustard

Blend all together until smooth- taste and alter sweetness if necessary.

perfectsense, Jan 6, 12:51am
I was going to ask the same question :)

pickles7, Jan 6, 8:44am
Darn, I cannot remember now. looking at the other recipe I would say 4 Tbsp, try that no more. The dressing recipe was a little thicker, It may not look very thick at the time, but remember the aim is only to suspend the mint. good luck.

jt56, Jan 6, 7:57pm
Hi Pickles7 thanks for your answer. Excuse this basic question! But what do you thicken it with - is it cornflour! Thanks.

pickles7, Jan 6, 8:48pm
yep . lol
I was working it out from the low cal dressing, I can remember thinking it took a lot of cornflour, at the time as I had to make up more. I started with just 2 Tbsp, that was not enough.
You will probably be tempted to add even more, but don't .