Meal Ideas while Camping please .

xtownie, Jan 2, 6:18am
we are going camping (in a Holiday Park) for 10 days, last year our kids got bored with bbq and salad every night, can I have some other Lunch and Dinner ideas of yummy meals easy enough while camping, bearing in mind I take 10days worth of groceries out to beach with me and thats it.

rainrain1, Jan 2, 6:27am
canned beans,basghetti, and lots of mups of kilo.

liamjosh, Jan 2, 6:28am
Nachos and tacos, homemade hamburgers, fajitas.Take something like bacon and egg pie for the first night so barbecues don't start until the second or third day.Sausages, baked beans and eggs - still can use the barbie but not really technically a barbecue.If you can boil with a pot you could make macaroni cheese.

chooky, Jan 2, 7:00am
When we went tenting, I use to take my cock pot. If you have a powered site you can have in tent, if not use there kitchen.I use to do mince for nachos or spaggette bog, corn beef, tea and then lunch the next day. Roast a chicken in crock pot. You can make choc self saucing pudding, rice, mac cheese. And you dont have to worry about it. We had tenting for a few years, then we brought a caravan had that for about 8 years, now we are into cabins/motels, and our kids STILL come with us. Enjoy your holiday.

rainrain1, Jan 2, 7:11am
cock pot ,who's cocks did you cook up!

chooky, Jan 2, 8:49am
Opps my mistake, but at least people are reading it.LOL.

xtownie, Jan 2, 8:17pm
Thanks for the good ideas, the CROCKpot (lol) idea is a goodie, and the Bacon and Egg pie is in the oven now!

xtownie, Jan 2, 8:23pm
Things like (ive read from the other threds) fish pie how would you reheat it! Does a Foil roasting dish under a hooded bbq do the job! And Nachos - how would you grill the cheese on top or cook the mince!

mouse_y, Jan 2, 8:26pm
DIY Sammies , DIY Kebabs , Baked Snapper (when you catch one )

cgvl, Jan 2, 9:46pm
If you are in a holiday park food is easy.
If you are like us and go to places that only have toilets and sometimes showers and very occasionally power then besides the BBQ we take a gas ring. If you can heat water in a jug or pot then you can cook mince. as for the cheese melted on top of nachoes, if you have the mince hot then cheese should melt ok without need to grill.

cgvl, Jan 2, 9:57pm
I make a bacon and egg pie for first day/night.
Freeze meat in individual meal sizes and label. eg mince enough for 1 meal for number of people you are feeding. You don't want left overs.
I take tinned fish (DH is not a good fisherman).
Tomatoes in tins as well as fresh.
Spag and baked beans to which I can add bacon or breakfast sausages for a meal.
Bacon and eggs, sausages, meat patties, ham steaks, beef steak. All meat is frozen.
I also freeze the chilly bin and several bottles of water (for drinking). As well as milk. Last thing packed are the chilly bins. frozen meats and most of the milk and water into one bin and it is sealed.
Another chilly bin also frozen has the everyday stuff such as marg, milk, bacon, things I am going to use frequently.
We have a hanging pantry that I find a nearby shady tree to hang it from and into that goes anything that needs to be kept cool ie marg(although not always), jams/spreads, fruit and vegies.
try to find a shady area, preferably with a breeze through it, to keep your chilly bins cool, as this will prolong the life of the contents.

fec2003, Jan 2, 10:12pm
Easy meatballs - super quick, too.

Packet (or two) sausage meat. Flour to roll. Oil to brown. Tomato juice to finish cooking them in. (Or can of chopped tomatoes) Carrots to slice and add to mix, peas as well if liked. Serve on pasta or rice or with bread and butter. Simple, one-pot cooking. Kids seem to love the ease with which they are made and the 'familiar' taste of them, too.

rozke, Jan 2, 10:16pm
rissotto with extras in like peas left over bacon or rissoles