Best way to do a corned beef!

kev, Jan 1, 3:03am
Hi, just wanting recommendations on the best way to do a corned beef for tomorrow. Is stove top best, or should I use the crockpot!

I have read another recipe where you wrap the corned beef in tinfoil and bake for a couple of hours as well, which interested me, but I'm not aware of anyone who's tried that method/what the results were.

marcs, Jan 1, 3:10am
x1
on the stove top for me. Didn't like it in the slow cooker. it becomes too soft with no texture left to the meat.

gingercrush, Jan 1, 3:14am
We had the last corn beef over the stovetop as the crock pot inner is broken. Was really yummy. I basically just followed the edmonds recipe but used maple syrup instead of golden syrup as had none. Quite different to just the nutmeg and cinnamon I tend to do in the crock pot.

lodgelocum, Jan 1, 3:55am
Always do it in the crockpot, golden syrup, little dash of vinegar, bay leaves, sliced onion, I find no different to the texture, it comes out lovely and moist, tender, wouldn't go back to cooking on the stove top.Each to their own way.

lythande1, Jan 1, 4:00am
Stovetop.

jbsouthland, Jan 1, 4:16am
slow cooker or stove top I add orange juice .yummy.

schnauzer11, Jan 1, 5:32am
Pressure-cooker-hands down! Not a molecule of flavour leaves the meat,and it is soooo tender!

peaknuckle, Jan 1, 6:13am
Stove top + chopped onion, some golden syrup and mixed spice. cover with boiling water and simmer 2 hours. done nice and easy

homelygirl0011, Jan 1, 6:41am
My mate told me her nan did hers with honey drizzled all over, and cookedin the oven, actually have not tried it yet, but she swears it turns out really delious every time. The sweetness of the honey works well with the saltytness of the meat.

sstraight, Jan 1, 7:01am
I always throw mine in the slow cooker frozen on low. That way whenit is cooked but doesn't fall apart.

thedevil1, Jan 1, 7:12am
cooked in ginger ale on the stove top.

enzu, Jan 1, 8:11am
or ginger beer

1buzemum, Jan 1, 8:20am
I do it in the oven for a change and it is really nice and different

mothergoose_nz, Jan 1, 9:39am
star anise.just one or two.fantastic.after it is cooked it can be glazed in the oven like a ham.havent got a glaze recipe.usually gets eaten first.

1ollie, Jan 1, 11:29am
Saw something on TV before and it was one cooked inside a pumkin but not sure how they did it so I am researching and I will attempt it this week lol

kernal1, Jan 2, 3:27am
Cook in microwave! Jan Bilton recipe - 1.5kgs corned beef, 1 1/2 cups water, carrots, onions, cloves and pepper corns or use what you normally add. Casserole dish with fitting lid, 9 mins on high or until water is just boiling. Cook 1 hr, turn meat 1/2 way through. Meat is more like a cross between ham and corn beef, doesn't split or open as stove cooking method, a little bit saltier but certainly goes further and slices easy cold or hot.

vomo2, Jan 2, 3:35am
I always use the Crock pot, cook it in ginger ale or beer and golden syrup, and pop a few whole cloves in the meat, about 4. Fabulous, no other way to cook it I reckon. Also good for pickled pork.