What can I do with a litre of cream!

macclan4, Jan 1, 7:58am
Thank you all that has certainly given me some good ideas.

davidt4, Jan 1, 9:36pm
Good idea.Lemon posset is delicious.There is a raspberry version which is even better.

uli, Jan 2, 12:37am
Ohhh . go tell us !

davidt4, Jan 2, 3:51am
Oh all right.I'm not wasting our precious fresh raspberries onpossets though.

Raspberry Possets

• 500ml cream
• 35g pale palm sugar or caster sugar
• 180g raspberries (frozen are fine)

• Take raspberries out of the freezer, select 12 good looking ones and set aside for decoration. Leave out to start thawing while you prepare the cream.
• In a small pan over low heat bring the cream and sugar to a simmer, stir to dissolve, raise heat to medium and bubble for about 4 minutes, stirring often. Turn off heat.
• Add the partly thawed raspberries (not the ones set aside for decoration) and stir vigorously to thaw and break up without them getting too hot.
• Pass through a sieve into a jug, pressing hard on the pulp to extract all of the raspberry juice without the seeds.
• Pour into four small ramekins or martini glasses and refrigerate for at least an hour to set.Overnight is better.
• Decorate with the rest of the raspberries, refrigerate up to 24 hours.
• Serve cold.
Note
• The quantity seems quite small, but is just right for four servings. The posset is very rich.
• It is not essential to use palm sugar, but it does have a lovely fruity flavour which complements the raspberries.

macclan4, Dec 29, 9:21pm
I have a litre of cream and don't want to just feed it to the dogs, any ideas what I can do with it!

poppysinger2, Dec 29, 9:28pm
make ice cream or butter !

richard198, Dec 29, 9:35pm
Clotted Cream!

uli, Dec 29, 9:38pm
Fresh butter - then give the buttermilk to the dogs :)

Or loads of ice cream of course. A litre of cream and about 10 eggs would make 2 to 3 tubs full.

ant_sonja, Dec 29, 9:38pm
I'd probably make butter (can add herbs etc too) or alternatively a creamy sauce with onion, mushrooms, bacon, garlic, parmesan to have with steak or pasta.freeze some of it so will be ready to have with another meal.

pickles7, Dec 29, 9:38pm
This is just what I need to be doing.but.The use by date is the 2nd of January. I will try and use it up in a cheese cake, this weekend.

vmax2, Dec 29, 9:40pm
I had 6 litres of cream to use up before I went away and I made cream yoghurt.Divine.

uli, Dec 29, 9:43pm
Would be like sour cream - sounds very good.

vmax2, Dec 29, 9:45pm
Better than ordinary yoghurt uli and still wonderful with berries and a few nuts.I'm in heaven.

tinkagirl, Dec 29, 9:47pm
You can actually freeze cream in the bottle for a later date - good for wiping.I also use cream in scones, scalloped potatoes, quiches, gnash.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 29, 9:48pm
I made lemon curd ice cream with my leftovers, so easy. Big mistake. The stuff is just unbelievably good.

davidt4, Dec 30, 2:11am
Mascarpone is easy to make and keeps well.Would you like a recipe!

wildflower, Dec 30, 2:27am
Does it work out cheaper than buying it as it's pretty expensive isn't it!I've avoided making anything with it so far though I've seen some really nice recipes that use it.

davidt4, Dec 30, 2:43am
Half the cost.A litre of cream costs about $7 and makes about 700 ml of mascarpone, andKapiti mascarpone costs about $10 for 500g at Countdown.The homemade version is free from thickeners and other additives and taste fantastic.

evorotorua, Dec 30, 3:22am
I would love a recipe davidt4.please :)

socram, Dec 30, 3:33am
Add a little sugar to it, whip it slightly, portion and freeze for later.If anyone is making clotted cream, I am more than willing to taste it for you!

davidt4, Dec 30, 4:30am
I'll give you the best way; there is a simpler procedure but the result isn't quite so smooth and velvety.

Mascarpone

makes about 700 ml

1 litre cream
¼ tsp tartaric acid

Heat cream very slowly (a waterbath is ideal) to 85 C– this will take about an hour.

Line a large bowl with large piece of muslin, and stand in a lipped plate to contain drips.(The muslin will siphon off liquid)

Remove cream from heat and stir 30 sec.Remove bowl from water and stir 2 min.Add tartaric acid and stir well, pour into muslin-lined bowl.Chill 12 hours.The cream will thicken and a lot of liquid will be siphoned off.

Make 4 x 24cm squares of muslin, place a quarter of cream on each one and fold into a parcel.Place on a lipped plate and refrigerate 12 hours.

Take out of the muslin and store in the fridge.

poppysinger2, Dec 30, 4:34am
Thanks Davidt4that looks amazing and not too difficult . Will give it a shot as I love this !

bill241, Dec 30, 5:21am
If you have eggs you could make custard, or creme brulee, or pastry cream to fill a tart or tartlets.

molly37, Dec 30, 5:59am
Ambrosia.