Ginger Gems

Page 3 / 8
cookessentials, Apr 23, 9:06pm
You are welcome skippie. . and yes, I am brianmac too, hence the different name on the post. I am sure you will really enjoy it

cookessentials, Apr 24, 1:37am
STEAMED GINGER PUDDING.
60g butter
¼ cup golden syrup
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup self-raising flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
½ cup milk
1 egg

Syrup
1/3 cup golden syrup
2 tablespoons water
30g butter

Grease 1. 25 litre pudding steamer.

Combine butter and syrup in small saucepan; stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in soda; transfer mixture to medium bowl. Stir in sifted dry ingredients then combined milk and egg, in two batches.

Spread mixture into steamer. Cover with pleated baking paper and foil; secure with lid.

Place pudding steamer in large saucepan with enough boiling water to come halfway up side of steamer; cover pan with tight-fitting lid. Boil 1 hour, replenishing water as necessary to maintain level. Stand pudding 5 minutes before turning onto plate.

Stir syrup ingredients in small saucepan over heat until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes.

Serve pudding topped with syrup and, if desired, cream

skippie1, Apr 24, 7:16am
Armanian cake finished and cool enough to eat. It's Yummy, so thank you cookessential for the recipe, and it will be a recipe thats going to be used again. Have also baked the Moist ginger loaf and waiting for it to cool.

cookessentials, Apr 24, 8:34am
You HAVE been busy!

cookessentials, Apr 27, 12:30am
GINGER DRESSING
Nice On Salads

3 cloves garlic, crushed

2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger

125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil

3 tablespoons sesame oil

100ml (1/3 cup) rice vinegar

125ml (1/2 cup) soy sauce

3 tablespoons honey

3 tablespoons water

Combine all ingredients in a large glass jar. Cover the jar with a tight fitting lid, and shake well.
Remove the lid and heat jar in the microwave for 1 minute just to dissolve the honey.
Let cool, and shake well before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator.

cookessentials, May 3, 4:16am
bumping up thanks

cutezie, May 3, 4:55am
Love this thread I love ginger . Thankyou fro the delish recipes

cookessentials, May 6, 2:59am
up thanks

cookessentials, May 13, 4:22am
GINGER DATE MUFFINS WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
1 cup (160g) seeded chopped dates
80ml (1/3 cup) water
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
150g (1 cup) plain flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
200g (1 cup) firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1 egg, lightly beaten
310ml (1¼ cups) milk
160ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
Caramel sauce
200g (1 cup) firmly packed brown sugar
250ml (1 cup) cream
40g butter

Grease 12 hole (1/3 cup capacity) muffin pan.
Combine dates and water in pan, bring to boil, remove from heat, add soda, stand 5 minutes. Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, stir in date mixture and remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 190°C for about 20 minutes. Serve warm muffins with caramel sauce.
Caramel sauce: Combine all ingredients in pan, stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved, then simmer, without stirring, 3 minutes.

tixy, May 25, 2:52am
I have recipes for Pear & Gingerbread Pud with Butterscotch sauce and also Ginger Fudge if people arekeen - will have to post soon though as I have to get the Milo & cookies ready for my poor wee chap coming off the school bus in the rain!

cookessentials, May 25, 2:55am
absolutely tixy, much appreciated.

tixy, May 25, 9:43am
Right then, said son is off the bus, fed, watered and off in the land of nod, dreaming of the things 7 year olds dream of (which better NOT be girls! )

PEAR, WALNUT & GINGERBREAD PUD WITH BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE

Base;
60g butter
90g br sugar
3 pears (peeled and in 1/8ths)

G Bread
150g butter
160g br sugar
2 eggs
2 T treacle
250g flour
1/2c walnuts (optional obviously)
2 t baking soda
1 T ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t clove
150ml milk

Scatter base ingredients over a greased 25cm dish

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, add dry ingredients, then milk. Spoon batter over the pear/ butter/sugar mix and bake 175c for about 50 mins.

When you serve it, cut into wedges and poke holes with a skewer. Then pour over:

Mix 120g castor sugar
120g brwn sugar
1 T golden syrup
125ml cold water
1 T butter
1 t vanilla
Boil together 5 mins.

cookessentials, Jun 30, 6:55pm
Got to love the ginger recipes here.

cookessentials, Jul 31, 8:33am
Ginger gems thread for griffo

dbab, Jul 31, 11:01pm
We have just returned from a week at the Sunshine Coast in Australia and we visited the Ginger Factory again. The smells as you walk in the doors are just divine. The ginger and honey ice cream was so delicious. They also stock a big range of kitchen equipment/gadgets. Add the Ginger Factory to your must-see list if you are up that way.

cookessentials, Aug 20, 3:24am
We always enjoy the Buderim Ginger factory, their ginger is lovely and soft with a good ginger kick.

anne1955, Aug 20, 7:31am
I just made some ginger gems haven't made them for years since probably I left someone borrow my gem irons :) and they where never returned as so many of my things have been lost to... anyway today I browwed some gem irons. . I used the older Edmonds cook book receipe and they just aren't as light as I remember them to be/should be? ? Any light fluffy ideas for gems out there... thanks Anne

cookessentials, Aug 20, 8:41am
Try the recipe at the beginning of the thread.

cookessentials, Sep 3, 4:14am
Bumping for more ginger recipes.

juliewn, Sep 3, 11:41am
Hi Marilyn.. an easy way to measure the golden syrup - put the bowl/jug (you'll melt it and the butter in your microwave), on your scales.. bring the pointer back to zero, and add g/s till you reach the 160gms.. add the butter and melt and continue with the recipe..

indy95, Sep 4, 1:21am
Thank goodness this has been bumped.I can't believe I forgot about a thread of recipes using ginger. This cake recipe is from Annabelle White and Kathy Paterson's Simply the Best :

Ginger Pear Streusel Cake

Cake

3 1/4 c flour
1 c sugar
2 heaped t baking powder
1/4 t salt
250 g butter melted and cooled slightly
1 1/2 t vanilla
4 eggs
1/4 c milk
170g crystallised ginger finely chopped
5 pears peeled quartered and thinly sliced

Streusel

3/4 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
5 t ground ginger
100g softened butter

Combine streusel ingredients until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

Grease and lightly flour a 28 cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Mix melted butter, vanilla, eggs and milk well together in another bowl. Add ginger and 3 pears to the dry mix, coating well. Don't worry if the pears slicesbreak up. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix gently just long enough to combine.

Pour cake mixture into the tin and sprinkle half the streusel over. Cover with the remaining pear slices and scatter with rest of streusel.

Bake at 180C for about 1 hour.

juliewn, Sep 4, 3:10am
Sounds delicious Indy.. I hadn't seen the thread till last night - saved the entire thread!! Ginger fan here too..

Thanks Pam and others for sharing your recipes.. :-)

cookessentials, Oct 8, 6:43am
Up for the ginger recipes

cookessentials, Oct 31, 7:21am
Bumping up for ginger loaf recipes.

cookessentials, Mar 5, 6:16am
Up for someone looking for ginger loaf recipes