1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
For the ginger butter icing
2 cups icing sugar
80g softened butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons milk

For the base
Lightly roast the pistachio nuts on a tray in a 180°C oven for 5 minutes then chop coarsely. Set aside half for the topping. Melt the butter and leave to cool. Crush the wine biscuits with a rolling pin (rather than in a processor). In a bowl mix all the ingredients, except the reserved pistachios, then press the mixture into a sponge-roll tin lined with baking paper. Refrigerate until firm.

For the ginger butter icing
Using an electric beater, beat all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Spread over the chilled base then sprinkle the top with the reserved pistachios. Refrigerate to firm the icing then, using the paper, lift the whole block out and slice into pieces

cookessentials, Apr 4, 6:51am
INDIVIDUAL DATE & GINGER MUFFINS/PUDS

60g butter, plus extra for the tin
200g dates, chopped into small pieces
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1¼ cups boiling water
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup golden syrup
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g crystallised ginger, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 175°C fanbake. Butter 12 small muffin tins with a little extra butter.

Put the butter, dates, baking soda and water in a large bowl, preferably with a pouring lip. Soak this mixture for a couple of minutes then mix in the sugar and golden syrup.

Whisk in the eggs and vanilla then fold in the sifted flour and baking powder. Mix in the ginger. Pour the mixture into the tins to about two-thirds full.

Bake until the cakes feel firm in the centre and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean (15-25 minutes, depending on size).

Serve warmed (20 seconds in the microwave is sufficient) with whipped cream.

cookessentials, Apr 6, 2:34am
Bumping for the date and ginger puds

griffo4, Apr 6, 7:58am
Thank you so much for those recipes l have just got the latest lot and will be trying them soon especially with winter on its way

cookessentials, Apr 7, 7:25pm
You are welcome griffo4. I shall check my recipe book and see what else there is. If anyone else has a favourite recipe using ginger, feel free to post.

cookessentials, Apr 10, 2:21am
GINGER ALMOND SLICE
175g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour, sifted
2 tbs milk
100g almond meal
1 tsp ground ginger
125g glace ginger, chopped
70g flaked almonds
Icing sugar, to dust

Preheat oven to 190°C (180°C fan-forced). Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan and line with baking paper.

Beat butter and sugar using electric beaters until thick and pale. Beat in egg, then beat in flour alternating with milk. Stir in the almond meal and ground and glace ginger, then pat mixture into the pan and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Cool slightly in the pan, then turn onto a rack to cool completely. Cut into fingers and dust with icing sugar.

korbo, Apr 10, 10:27am
mmmm. i am sooooo hungry after reading all these. will print out when at big computer. on laptop in bed... . mmmmm
what is 160 g of golden syrup as in the lst recipe. how do you measure.

cookessentials, Apr 10, 1:51pm
Lightly oil your scales container and pour golden syrup in gently and it will weigh. Oiling the container makes it easy for it to come out without sticking.

luckyduck, Apr 10, 11:44pm
Yum, ginger in whiskey is so good!

cookessentials, Apr 14, 8:57am
sounds interesting!

cookessentials, Apr 15, 7:37pm
GINGER BISCUITS

200g butter, softened
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup golden syrup
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add golden syrup and beat well. Sift dry ingredients. Stir into creamed mixture to form a soft dough. Roll heaped teaspoons of mixture into balls. Place 3 - 4cm apart on greased oven trays. Flatten biscuits slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake at 160ºC for 30 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Makes about 38 biscuits.

jaxma, Apr 15, 7:44pm
Does anyone have a really nice ginger kiss recipe? I've made them before and they turned out flat like gingernuts :-(My son is addicted to ginger kisses and I'd like to make some like the ones you buy at the supermarket!

elliehen, Apr 15, 10:42pm
jaxma, found this on another thread asking for Ginger Kisses.

cookessentials, Apr 16, 12:53am
I also love ginger kisses.

fifie, Apr 16, 2:18am
My ginger kiss recipe with a mock cream filling, not quite so spongy in texture as the bought ones, itmakes a large tinful my grandees love them. Very old recipe sorry about the old measurements.
8oz butter, 8oz sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons Mixed Spice OR 2 teaspoons Ginger 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 4 eggs, 11b flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, OR 11b Self raising flour.
Cream butter and sugar till white and fluffy. Add syrup and eggs beating well after each one till thick and creamy. If mixture starts to curdleadd a tablespoon of the flour with each egg. Fold in sifted dry ingredients till all mixed in. Using a DesertSpoon put onto greased tray bake 400F 10-12 minutes watch they don't overcook. Remove from tray place on a cooling rack. When cold join together with mock cream, OR fill with raspberry jam and dust icing sugar over the top. . (Oven temperature for today is 200C )

tlkin, Apr 18, 11:11am
bumping!

cookessentials, Apr 18, 7:14pm
Thanks fifie, much appreciated. Not too difficult to convert to grams.

calista, Apr 19, 10:16am
cookessentials you are a temptress - shame on you.

I'm not sure I have the willpower to resist these recipes. Ginger is one of my favourite tastes.

jaybee6, Apr 19, 10:34am
You will find the gem irons in second hand shops. I got one from there and now looking for another.

cookessentials, Apr 19, 8:09pm
Hi calista- I love ginger too and also anything slightly spicy which is why I love the pumpkin loaves and I also love the Armenian nutmeg cake-slightly spicy and not too sweet.

cookessentials, Apr 23, 7:40am
Did you get to make it calista?

skippie1, Apr 23, 10:05am
cookessentials, could I please have the recipe for the Armenian Nutmeg Cake. Thanks in advance.

jaxma, Apr 23, 7:25pm
Thanks elliehen and fifie - I'll try and make some today!

cookessentials, Apr 23, 8:43pm
Hi skippie - here it is-copy and pasted from post 206 on the "Cakes Thread"

Armenian Walnut & Nutmeg Cake 1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar;2 cups plain flour;2 tsp baking powder;125g firm butter, chopped into pieces;2 cups of new season walnuts roughly chopped ( I threw the into the food processor and pulsed till roughly chopped) 1 cup milk;1 tsp b soda;1 lge or 2 small eggs ( I used two eggs) 1 generous tsp freshly ground nutmeg( I used about 1 and a bit heaped tsp) Pre-heat oven to 175c. Lightly butter and flour 23cm round tin ( I used a springform tin) cont... . .

cont... . . Put brown sugar, flour baking powder and butter into processor and whizz till it resembles fine crumbs. Take 2 cups of mixture and press firmly into bottom of prepared tin, sprinkle the walnuts evenly over the top. Add the nutmeg to the remaining crumbed mixture still in processor. Beat the milk, eggs and soda together and slowly add to processor with motor running to make a smooth batter. Pour batter over crumbled mix in tin. Bake 45 mins until cake is springy. Cool 10 mins before turning out. Dust with icing sugar when cold.

skippie1, Apr 23, 9:03pm
Thank you cookessential, did a search earlier this morning and found the same thread. Have saved it to bake it later today.