Steam pudding bowls!

heavens_bratt, Dec 15, 10:02am
love steam pudding. Want to try and make one for xmas day. Where are the cheapest bowls to buy!
PS. there are some awesome S.Pudding recipes in here great stuff.

seniorbones, Dec 15, 10:11am
I have just replaced my old aluminium ones with 'bakers secret' brand and they are none stick, not that I would trust that I still put a ring of paper in the bottom and buttered well!' they were in pak n save, $26 each and needed two as my recipe makes 2 puds. check cookessentials if she can get them in for you, Pam sells a lot of bakers secret brand, I didnt because I needed them the day I decided to make them or I would have tried her first.

firemansgirl, Dec 15, 10:13am
There are quite a few on TM available on a Buy Now.

fogs, Dec 15, 11:13am
I got mine in farmers after searching high and low and paid a reasonable amount for them but afterwards discovered them in spotlight of all places

calista, Dec 15, 11:21am
I just use the stainless steel ones from the Warehouse covered with aluminium foil which is tied on.

I like them because I often give Christmas puds as presents, whereas I couldn't afford to do it with the more expensive ones.

cookessentials, Dec 15, 6:23pm
You can use either china pudding bowls or use metal pudding bowls. Persoanlly, I use the stainless steel (NZ made) pudding bowl with the clip on lid. Being stainless steel, they are not cheap ( around $42) however, they will wash up in the dish washer and you will have them for ever. Not everyone will use aluminium. The stainless ones are 1.7 litres and you dont need to line them. Just grease,fill with mixture, add baking paper, with a fold in it over the top ( I also put a little aluminnium foil over that, then snap the lid on.

kob, Dec 15, 6:43pm
i just use a roasting bag, divide normal mixture into two roasting bags and secure and then boil in the usual way for the same time period, quick , easy and no washing up to do, and if you dont use it just put the bag straight into the freezer

fauna1, Dec 15, 7:42pm
Don't do what I once did - used a plastic margarine container. It melted down into a disc!

buzzy110, Dec 15, 10:11pm
I've used all sorts of things - glass, china and s/s mixing bowls, cups from the op shop and even proper steam pudding bowl with a proper lid. I prefer the glass and china bowls because I've seen what happens to metal ones after several years of having a pudding left in them for several months to 'mature'. You can also just use cheese cloth or any linen fabric.