Meals for 10 men

Page 1 / 2
coonz1, Dec 3, 7:09am
Hi all you great cooks out there,has anyone got lots of recipes for meals an afternoon tea please

southerngurl, Dec 3, 7:12am
cold bacon and egg pie, scones, lamingtons. club sammies.dont do anything fancy mens wont eat it.

punkinthefirst, Dec 3, 7:16am
It depends on the work they are doing.Can you elaborate!

coonz1, Dec 3, 7:22am
they are working on a farm

southerngurl, Dec 3, 7:23am
lol i definately stick to my post then :)

sossie1, Dec 3, 7:24am
Meat based products. pies, savouries, club sandwiches, and a big pot of mashed potato and various Watties sauces.

Honestly, go for the most basic stuff, they will be happy with it.

roundtop, Dec 3, 8:13am
a good cottage pie!

nik12, Dec 3, 9:53am
Tomato mince like you would do for lasanga, mix in a packet of cooked pasta, tip into roasting dish and pour cheese sauce all over the top - withbread and salad.The farmers I feed love this!
Scones, piklets, savouries for smoko - and sandwiches

lythande1, Dec 3, 6:51pm
10 pies, 10 beers, 10 cheese toasted sandwiches.

buzzy110, Dec 3, 7:14pm
Ermm. I presume you mean 10 beers each. Lol.

rainrain1, Dec 3, 7:51pm
I don't envy you coonz1.here are a couple of good recipes to have on hand.

Savoury Pinwheel Scones

2 cups self raising flour
2 Tblsp butter
1 egg
½ cup milk
1 pkt dried soup mix (flavour of your choice)
½ cup relish or chutney

Method:
Sift flour into food processor and add soup mix, milk, butter and egg.
Mix until smooth. Work the dough into a ball and knead well. Roll out into a rectangle 30 x 12cm.Spread relish or chutney right over to the edges then roll up tightly.Cut the roll into 12 pieces and place on baking paper on tray, or in greased muffin tins. Bake 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees C.

Smoky Fish Pie

100g butter
4 tomatoes diced
2 large onions diced
1 cup mixed vegetables
1 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 dessertsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 cup flour
1.5 litres milk
1x310g tin smoked fish drained and mashed
6 hard boiled eggs
4 cups mashed potato
1 cup grated cheese
chopped parsley
Serves 8-10
Melt butter in large pan and saute diced tomatoes, onions and mixed vegetables. Add curry powder, salt, pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning and stir. After about 5 mins add flour then gradually mix in the milk, stirring all the time till it comes to the boil. Add drained and mashed fish, and chopped hard boiled eggs. Put in a large baking dish and spoon or pipe mashed potato over the top. Sprinkle with grated cheese and chopped parsley. Cook 180degC for 45mins. Serve with crusty bread and green salad.

punkinthefirst, Dec 3, 10:49pm
Ah then.just be careful you don't give them too much fried stuff at breakfast. And, of course, that meal always dependsboth on whether they've been working prior to it, and when the next meal is due.
Breakfast. a selection of:-
cereal, stewed fruit, oven baked tomatoes, eggs (poached, scrambled, boiled), bacon, sausages,mushrooms in season, baked beans,etc., toast.
Morning tea
tea or coffee, scone, plain biscuits
Lunch
salads with cold meat left over from the night before, or well made salad rolls or sandwiches, slice of moist cake such as apple or apricot shortcake
Afternoon tea
similar to morning tea, but sometimes they may need something sweet to help with flagging energy, so pikelets, a man-sized slice of chocolate, banana or fruitcake is always popular, as is jam with the scones
Dinner
Good old-fashioned roast, stew, chops, fish pie or cold meat with plenty of vegetables or salad. An occasional curry is always popular, or a pasta dish such as lasagne with salad followed by a simple dessert such as fruit , a fruit sponge, apple shortcake, lemon meringue pie, apple pie, all served with icecream or custard.
If you are feeding harvesters or shearers always make sure there is plenty of tea and cold drinks like iced water and icy cold sourish lemon drink. You can keep these hot or cold in a haybox, and they should be on hand for ad-lib thirst-quenching. Most country people leave the beer til the end of the day, if they're working.
Because you have 10 fellers to cook for, you may as well cook simple foods that everyone will eat, until you get to know them better and can ask for requests. Whatever you cook may have to be kept hot or cold for some time while some emergency is dealt with. Don't expect that they'll be there on the dot for meals. If you're on a sheep farm, ask that they give you mutton or hogget to cook - the flavour is better, and it is a little fattier, so needs to be cooked long and slow, but it will "hold" better than lamb in the oven.If you are cooking sheep meat from the farm, you'll need two legs for a meal, or two forequarters or all of the chops from a carcase. Just make sure that whoever kills the meat, kills it in plenty of time for it to hang and develop its flavour.
The liver from the sheep should be served as soon as possible after it is killed. It develops "off" flavours after a day or so. My favourite way of cooking liver is as follows
Remove the outer skin and connecting tissue and large veins from the liver.
Slice it thinly, then dip the slices in seasoned flour. Fry quickly until just pink and serve.
Depending on how far you are from town, you'll have to think about your menus and supplies well in advance. Running out of basic staples will not be an option, so always make sure you have the makings of at least a day's meals tucked away in your freezer or pantry. Give yourself a break every now and again and serve cold meat and salad followed by an easy dessert such as fruit and icecream. I could go on, but will stop here. Questions welcome. Good luck!

freedreamz, Dec 4, 1:38am
My guys get normal food, anything to fancy and they laugh at me.
Roasts, Curried sausages, rissoles, salads, hot spuds, Bread and butter, sauces that go with what ever you have cooked.
Smoko's can be baking, ie cakes, biscuits, scones and pikelets complete with dairy whip, sausage rolls, sandwiches, ie meat and relish, egg, tomato, bacon and egg pie. Just dont get to fancy and you will be right, they are normally starving anyway so any food is good. HEAPS of drinks, water and juice, some like just plan water. Beer always kept till job finished.
good luck and if they complain, tell them to starve, they soon change mind

lythande1, Dec 4, 3:41am
Depends whether they're expected to do more work after or not. LOL

coonz1, Dec 4, 6:08am
Thanks for all those fantastic ideas guys cheers

coonz1, Dec 4, 8:21am
Hi is there any more great recipes out there!

coonz1, Dec 4, 8:26am
Hey punkinthefirst can i have some more great ideas from you please!

rainrain1, Dec 4, 6:44pm
work hard, play hard they do

r-mvz, Dec 4, 8:19pm
Sausage Meat Pie

Sausage meat x2 packs. Line pie dish with baking paper. Press into pie dish and push meat up the sides using wet hands.

Spread tomato sauce, chilli sauce or relish, whichever you prefer over sausage meat.

Mix in a bowl eggs, salt, pepper.

Sprinkle vegetables over the sausage meat eg (grated carrot, peas, peppers, corn etc) whatever you have available fresh or frozen. If using frozen then I suggest that you put them in a sieve and pour hot water over them and drain first before adding to your pie.

Pour mixed eggs over vegetables, add slices of tomatoes if you have them.

Put in oven to cook.

This is great to eat hot or cold.

This is a great dish you can make different variations everytime eg add grated cheese on top or curry to egg mix, even a tin of spaghetti added to the base before vegetables.

rainrain1, Dec 4, 8:41pm
copy, paste.more please

visionspring, Dec 4, 9:19pm
biiiiiiig pot of stew in the slow cooker and a huge pile of potatoes (mashed, boiled etc)

get a cheaper cut of meat like gravy beef, brisket, diced up. Then chuck in slow cooker with onions, tomatoes, capsicum (whichever is the cheapest) and 2 rashers of chopped up bacon. Salt, pepper, paprika too. Might have to make 2 lots depending on how big the slow cooker is. Finish with beer :)

punkinthefirst, Dec 4, 9:32pm
Its a balancing act - the idea is to provide plenty of fuel for people who are living a fairly athletic life, while not giving them too much fat.
What are these guys doing! What sort of cooking facilities do you have! (Including cake tins and mixer, if any - what sort and what size stove!) Good freezer space and refrigeration! What sort of a budget are you working under! Do you have any help, or is it just you! How often do you get supplies! How good is your own personal organisation, and what time will you have to start in the morning to have breakfast ready on time!
email ypuk at the extra place with answers to these questions and I'll post recipes that have worked for me.

comcon, Dec 4, 10:05pm
I regularly feed this amount and the food needs to travel.
Staples are:
Devilled sausages and mashed potato
Mince (filled with veg) and masked potato
stew/casserole of any kind with plenty of bread
steak samwiches (made with schnitzel and onions)
macoroni cheese (not so popular)
I have a normal kitchen.
Use meat dish or huge crockpot for meats and large saucepan for spuds.
Have lots and lots of tinfoil for coveriing and if transporting hot, either meatdish covered in foil and wrapped in large towels.
BEST EVER IS: Those tupperware containers that originally came out blue and then orange, think they purple now.
They retain heat for UP TO AN HOUR - no crap! I have fouind them amazing if feeding smaller groups at a time.
Oh and occasional I will do a roast - just couple of huge roasts, roast potatoes (done in electric frypans) and mixed veg.
And I dont have a budget so all good there.
Good Luck!

comcon, Dec 4, 10:07pm
P.s. Breakfasts could be scrambled eggs (add ham and tomato for a difference)
Baked beans or spagetti with toast.
Lucnhes - stick with sandwiches and maybe fruit loaf to finish

asue, Dec 4, 10:18pm
A pile of good filling sandwiches (3 loaves made up), scones,pikelets or muffins (approx 12 to 15 pieces), cold pie of some sort (bacon n egg etc 12 pieces) and something small and sweet.(even just a packet of chocie biscuits chucked in). Sometimes quantities vary if the guys haven't eaten all day.I use to cook in a shearing gang.Would double the quantities for morning smoko. Found it alot easier just to get the above made and can leave for them to have when they are ready to eat and leftovers eaten later with beers.