Ginger beer plant - The real ginger beer plant

atlantis3, Dec 2, 3:33am
Does any one know where I can get this (buy this) I have Google it and cant find it. It is the real culture not the one made from yeast or raisins etc.
It comes as a jelly like substance and goes back years. The drink has a differentflavour also. Also I have searched this site.

uli, Dec 2, 3:39am
Do you mean water kefir!

atlantis3, Dec 2, 4:18am
Not sure but did see this when I googledDo you have a good link for this! Thanks

buzzy110, Dec 2, 4:47am
I think I know the plant you are talking about. Many years ago I carried a plant home from school, when it was all the rage to have one. It came with a handwritten sheet of instructions involving throwing half of the bug away and feeding what was left with powdered ginger and sugar. After an interval of time I think I made up a syrup and put a bit of the bug into each bottle, put the lids on and put them away. A few days later (maybe a week or so) I "racked it off" by tipping the gingery liquid into clean jars and leaving the sediment behind. I drank it when it bubbled and then everyone wanted to drink it. And it was, in my childish eyes, very nice. It had a very strong ginger flavour and full of bubbles.

The funny thing was I carried this entire project out on our front steps and kept my bug, and later my bottles of hooch, in the shoe cupboard in the front porch and it still worked out fine. I was younger than 8 (which was how old I was when we left that house) and older than 5 so it must have been easy to do, especially as my mother kept telling me off at the time over it. I wish I had kept the instructions.

You are quite correct. All the ginger beer recipes I have saved from here are just not as good as the one I made using a proper starter.

puss-n-boots, Dec 2, 6:10am
I have the recipe to start the culture but it uses dried yeast - If you wish to use 'real' yeast then you can 'harvest' the yeast from potatoes, can post if you wish.

atlantis3, Dec 2, 8:09am
Hi thanks yes I know about the natural yeast this is a link of how to make.
http://ooooby.ning.com/group/gardeningquestionsandadvice/forum/topics/ginger-beer-plant!xg_source=activity