Smoked chicken question

perle, Nov 29, 4:51am
Are these already cooked! My neighbour brought one over for dinner that he had in his freezer is now defrosted, was cutting it up for salad, looks like watery blood, close to the bones! would this be ok to eat, thank you

rainrain1, Nov 29, 5:05am
Yes definately cooked and beautiful eaten hot as well, how to heat written on wrapping i think

gardie, Nov 29, 5:21am
Yep I've noticed watery blood close to bones too but hasn't ever been an issue.Like rainrain, I like it hot - nice in a hot pasta dish.

holmsies, Nov 30, 4:47am
Could you smoke your own chicken! I love it, but strongly object to paying $10 for one measley breast.
Would you need to cook it first then cold smoke it! Any ideas how to do it without getting salmonella!

robitybob5, Nov 30, 5:10am
Westmeats here in Nelson do there own for $3 a breast. I freeze them and also use fresh in salads.Smoked chicken pasta yummmyyyy

sossie1, Nov 30, 5:10am
why would you buy a smoked chicken breast, instead of a whole chicken>

uli, Nov 30, 5:28am
Because she wants it smoked maybe!

sossie1, Nov 30, 5:29am

I meant a whole smoked chicken, duh!

uli, Nov 30, 5:31am
Are you trying to say you get a whole smoked chicken for $10 - while she only gets a breast for $10!

sossie1, Nov 30, 5:34am
Sorry,no no,, but I have never paid over $13.00 for a whole smoked chicken, and for that you get 2 breasts, thighs, legs, and all the other bits you can pull off to make a yummy sandwich

grannypam, Nov 30, 5:36am
$8.99 for a whole one at PaknSave last week.
we only have one once in a blue moon and last week was that time.lol

karenz, Nov 30, 5:41am
Smoked chicken goes such a long way, I too bought the $8.99 Pak N Save Special, and the legs are the best part.

pods, Nov 30, 6:25am
I hot smoke chickens in our gas smoker and they come out yummy, they are in the smoker for about 21/2 - 3 hours until they are cooked.

holmsies, Nov 30, 7:01am
I don't usually buy a whole smoked chicken as we only use it for lunch salad sandwiches.How long would you recommend keeping a whole chook in the fridge safely!

mismuffet, Nov 30, 7:13am
Hubby would like to know what temp you do your hot smoked chicken on, he's got a new smoker and is keen to try it out :)thanks

iriegirl, Dec 1, 12:26am
I usally take all the meat off the bone and freeze what I don't need, whole chickens are much better value than just buying breasts imho.

245sam, Dec 1, 12:48am
holmsies, I kept the following info' from the packet of a smoked chicken 3 or 4 years ago.

"Serve as snacks with tomato or fruit salsa (peach or mango, or herbed mayo.
Use in salads, pasta or pies.
Make delicious sandwiches with brie cheese wedges, and stuffed avocado or cranberry sauce.
Warm the chicken gently to further enhance the flavour prior to serving.

After opening the chicken should be refrigerated and can be kept for up to 1 week or the best before date as on the wrapper, whichever is sooner."

Hope that helps.:-))