Tefal chip cookers

free-h-oldies, Nov 20, 5:56am
I am thinking of buying one of those chip cookers they are advertising on TV at the moment. using 1 teaspoon of oil and they show thechips nice and golden how I like them .Can anyone tell me if they are any good

mike547, Nov 20, 8:49am
I wanted one to until I saw how much they cost

keewee_mel, Nov 20, 8:55am
Tefal Actifry! I bought one when they were first released in NZ. Huge purchase money-wise, I've got to say it's worth every cent, and is one of the most used appliances in our household - probably 3 times a week. We use it mainly for chips and 'roast' potatoes (cut into chunks) but have also cooked chicken in it. It comes with a recipe book to give you some inspiration, along with cooking times for different foods, and how much oil to use. Generally it's one tablespoon, but some things don't require oil at all. You can mix in herbs/spices with the oil too; rosemary, paprika. etc.

The trick to crispy chips is to cut them in a uniform size, rinse well in cold water, then dry THOROUGHLY before placing in the Actifry with the oil. If there is moisture, the chips won't crispen. Also, some potato varieties don't lend themselves well to chip making. Hope that helped :)

free-h-oldies, Nov 20, 7:34pm
Thanks keewee that did help I will go and check them out

clivehell, Nov 20, 7:50pm
How much is one!.

andrew499, Nov 20, 7:50pm
I too have a Tefal Actifry and wouldn't like to be without it now.i've done chicken, chips, roast spuds, sausages and rissoles.probably cooked other things that I've forgotten about too.it will be a sad day in my house when the machine dies.

keewee_mel, Nov 20, 10:36pm
Agreed!

mike547, Nov 20, 11:49pm
how long approx does it take to cook the chips and can you cook very many at one time, thanks for the information

keewee_mel, Nov 21, 12:10am
Cooks 1kg in about 40 minutes. You can give an extra 5 minutes if you think they need it, but most of the time they don't. Best thing is, you can set it and forget it until they're ready :)

buzzy110, Nov 21, 2:51am
I've seen them in a couple of Mitre 10 superstores as well. Didn't look at the price but it might be worth checking out.

punkinthefirst, Nov 21, 8:14am
I know you girls love your Actifrys, but for those of us who don't want or can't spend that much money on a chip cooker, don't forget you can oven bake your chips.
Just prepare them as normal. Put a piece of baking paer in the bottom of your roasting dish or baking tray, and put the chips in an even layer on the paper. Sprinkle over about a tablespoon of oil plus any herbs you want to use. Now, pick up the ends of the paper, and roll the chips around to get them all coated with oil. Add a little more if you need to - they just need a very light coating. Bake at about 200 degrees C for 30 -40 minutes, moving them around with the baking paper every now and again, until they are crisp and brown. Enjoy your crisp, non-greasy chips!

andrew499, Nov 21, 7:57pm
The trouble is that ovens are so expensive these days.lol!Sorry, couldn't resist that one.I really like my actifry, because being totally blind, i can produce evenly browned chips without having to worry about whether i'm stirring them enough or too much, the Actifry does all that for me.