I have Tefal breakmaker.

Page 1 / 2
blackbriar, Jul 6, 6:45am
I have just used my Fly Buys points to get this breadmaker.I am having trouble trying to choose a programme.The booklet I received with the breadmaker says to push the Menu button and you can then choose a programme e.g. Basic white, French bread, Wholemeal bread.But when I push the Menu button nothing seems to happen. What am I doing wrong!

queenmaeb, Jul 6, 7:07am
When u push the menu button on the screen the numbers change . 1 is basic white , 2 French etc.

blackbriar, Jul 6, 7:23am
Thanks, I think the problem was that the breadmaker was still too warm from making my "trial" loaf.

queenmaeb, Jul 6, 8:39am
How did it go! I hate my Tefal. Got it with FlyBuys like u and never made a decent loaf yet. I miss my old Panasonic :0( It died after many,many years of faithful service.
This tinny piece of rubbish is awful.
Did you dissolve your yeast first or use it straight from the jar in the fridge!

queenmaeb, Jul 6, 8:56am
I do keep it in the fridge. Had breadmakers for over 20 years but just hate this Tefal.
Do u dissolve your yeast first! I've never had to before but wonder if thats the problem with this maker.

unknowndisorder, Jul 6, 10:16am
Queen, with the Tefal, you put the fluids in first, then the flour & other dry ingredients, with the yeast going in last.

Kinna has posted a French loaf elsewhere, possibly the one above, and it's awesome in the Tefal. I bought a 2nd hand Panasonic and gave it away, as I preferred the results of the Tefal.

From memory, the Panasonic you put in the dry then the wet, which is the opposite (hence me having to choose which I preferred, it got too hard remembering what's what and who's who).

The French setting is Menu #2, you don't need to change the other settings, default is mid crust.

I keep the yeast in the fridge, and have noticed it's past the best by date, but still okay. Red lid Edmonds stuff. I ensure the water's luke warm, even if I'm getting it made while I'm at work, so with a delayed start.

Oh, I do the 750g recipe as above (just looked at what Kinna's posted), and wouldn't even attempt the 1kg one, as not sure the machine's big enough for it. Maybe I should try and see how much mess I can make (remembering a dough that ended up exploding lol) :)

blackbriar, Jul 6, 7:15pm
Thanks kinna, I will try that receipe today.I just wonder though the Tefal has a 700g & 900g capacity and I see this recipe is for slightly larger loaves - will that matter!Will I have to cut back on the ingredients!

unknowndisorder, Jul 6, 10:23pm
Blackbriar, just use the 750g quantity. Put the water in then flour, then sugar etc.

kinna54, Jul 7, 3:31am
Yep as unknowndisorder says. use the 750g recipe. Thanks for posting unknowndisorder, glad to know that it has been successful in your model as well.

nauru, Jul 7, 4:26am
I have always kept my yeast, both fresh and dried, in the freezer door.I've never had a problem with iteven when it has been out of date and I've been making bread for about 40 years.

kinna54, Jul 7, 5:44am
I tried it with a jar of the tasti yeast.it was the first flop I have ever had with my bread.nauru what brand do you successfully freeze please! Thanks for sharing.

nauru, Jul 7, 11:04pm
Usually Edmonds Surebake-red cap.Have also done this with the granule type of yeast too.

queenmaeb, Jul 8, 11:59pm
Bought a jar of red top yesterday along with a new bag of high grade flour. Popped the French bread recipe on so will be very happy if this works. Oh and yes I used tepid water. :0)

bill241, Jul 9, 12:11am
I found that the Tasti stuff is not as good as the Edmonds stuff as well.

queenmaeb, Jul 9, 2:17am
Okay so 3 teaspoons is too much yeast lol. Bread has risen up and spreading along inside of lid of breadmaker :0) I'm not complaining - just so dang grateful that for once its risen in this silly breadmaker.
Onto cooking now so hopefully I'll finally have an edible loaf.

Thanks to everyone for their advice - most appreciated.
Fresh bread and some of my quince jelly for afternoon tea :0)

kinna54, Jul 9, 3:32am
Hopefully you are sitting chomping on your bread now, and it's beautiful. Yes your tefal is a bit smaller pan than the Breville, but I wouldn't cut the yeast back too much, 3 level tsp (levelled with a knife) is usually pretty right.
Also another suggestion is maybe you could half the quantities on the 1 kg recipe, and just make a small 500 gm loaf, *but note I haven't personally tried that*.
Thankyou *nauru for your answering post, I am nearly out of yeast, so will try again with the new jar of Edmonds red cap, yep it may have been the tasti yeast that was the problem. It's always lovely to read what works for others, and I like to try all suggestions, I always appreciate them.

family007, Jul 9, 4:17am
I have a Tefal and have always had the problem of small loaves. I don't like it at all. I once had a cheap arse Cascade breadmaker from the Warehouse and it was so good I wore out three of them! No matter which recipe or yeast , the loaves always came out perfect. The tefal makes good jam tho!

unknowndisorder, Jul 9, 5:16am
Family007: I had a small loaf yesterday, which I figure was the water wasn't quite the right temperature.
As we've got a water filter, and it takes forever to get warm water to come through, I just put some water in the jug and start bringing it to the boil. Use a bit of that and then water out of the tap for the rest, to get it to the temperature I'm wanting.
I use it for doughs and loaves, depending on what mood I'm in.
Currently seeing if I can make bread rolls for dinner.

I've got the older model, not the breads of the world model (it's about 2-1/2 years old), and I go through stages of using it or not.

I've found the Tasti yeast a failure, so always use Edmonds red lid.

I did used to like the smell coming from the Panasonic better than from the Tefal, but that really was about it.I guess we all get on better with some appliances than others ;)

nauru, Jul 9, 6:12am
You are welcome Kinna, I don't like the Tasti yeast, I threw it out after a couple of failures and went back to Surebake.

nauru, Jul 9, 6:15am
I agree, the Cascade ones were good for the price, I wore out two. I now haveBreville Big loaf which I like too as it also makes good jam as well as bread.

queenmaeb, Jul 9, 9:05am
My bread was delicious :0)

I had a Panasonic for many, many years . We replaced the seal around the beater once but it kept on going until the element exploded one day.
This Tefal just looks cheap and nasty. Nothing solid and reliable looking about it.I miss my old breadmaker.

I'm usually a Breville applicance fan. However my replacement Breville bench top oven is another cheap & nasty disappointment. I'm going to give up on using my FlyBuys points for appliances. I want to see what I'm getting not have them arrive on order.

family007, Jul 14, 4:00am
Heres a foolproof recipe for the Tefal

3C Flour
2T oil
2t Red Sure Bake Yeast
2t sugar
1t salt
11/2C warm water.
1000g size, light crust.
Use the measuring cup and spoon that comes with the breadmaker. Watch during the first lot of kneading you may need to add a little more flour. Top with grated cheese during the bake cycle.
This loaf actually rose nicely to the top of the breadmaker and is SO light and fluffy!. Still miss the Cascades I had in the years 1998-2000!

family007, Jul 14, 4:03am
I'm with you on that. Had a long happy relationship with the cascade and with 2 teenagers it was common to make 2-3 loaves a day!
My Tefal is the same as yours. I got it from Briscoes about 2 years ago.

unknowndisorder, Jul 26, 10:54am
Just thought today, when I make kinna's bread now, I don't change any settings except to change menu to 2. I think default is 1kg, but I just use the 750g recipe. Loaf just about touches the viewing panel but not quite.I had some other yeast that I got with packaged premixes, but first loaf was pretty flat, so out it went, back to the Edmonds red lid stuff.
Edit: touch typists and iPads don't get on

camper18, Jul 28, 10:11pm
Had one of the first Cascades that come on the market and lost count of how many loaves I made until the pan became so worn I couldn't get the bread out. Have had several different brands since but none as good as that $99 Cascade.(sniff sniff)