Home made ice cream recipe

kiwibubbles, Nov 20, 12:39am
I remember years ago I had a really good ice cream recipe that I lost unfortunately. It was lovely and creamy and you could add vanilla or chunky chocolate chips to it. I remember the egg whites being beaten up separately, and the egg yolks mixed with sugar and other stuff (maybe), and the cream whipped separately too then you combined them all together and popped into freezer. Might have been icing sugar rather than sugar.

geldof, Nov 20, 1:03am
Not what you are looking for I know, but, I made a cheats one the other day, from Donna Hay.

Whip 600mls of cream, combine with 1 tin caramel condensed milk and freeze.

The kids loved it.
Needs to be taken from freezer about 10min before serving.

davidt4, Nov 20, 1:08am
Honey & Brandy Ice-cream

makes 1 litre

3 large eggs, separated
125g caster sugar
4 tab clear honey
425 ml cream
6 tab brandy

Whisk yolks, sugar & honey in large bowl until pale & fluffy.

Whisk cream and brandy to soft peaks.

Whisk whites to soft peaks.

Fold into yolks ¼ cream, ¼ whites etc until all incorporated.Freeze overnight.

buzzy110, Nov 20, 1:18am
Jamie Oliver has a few of these recipes floating around.

Here is one: http://www.jamieoliver.com/magazine/recipes-view.php!title=torrone-aamp-chocolate-semifreddo-and-rh

Otherwise you can just google "jamie oliver semi-freddo recipe" and you'll get a page or two on the subject.

nanasee1, Nov 20, 1:50am
Is it this one!
Our family favourite: 3 eggs separated, 300 ml cream, 1/2 cup sugar, flavouring of choice. Beat egg yolks with 1/4 c sugar until light & fluffy, beat cream until soft peaks, beat egg whites until soft peaks, add 1/4 c sugar & beat until glossy. Fold the three mixtures together, freeze 4 hours minimum. No need to rebeat etc. Flavouring can be simple as vanilla essence, or chocolate chips, frozen berries, coffee essence, lemon rind & juice. If using alcohol no more than 60 ml, it will not freeze successfully with more than that. If you use alcohol it is a good idea to give it a stir through after about two hours of freezing.

cutezie, Nov 20, 2:18am
x1
My mum used to make the best Ice cream everWas full of ice crystals .55 years ago

kiwibubbles, Nov 20, 4:27am
yeah that sounds like it nanasee1! the ingredients and method certainly seem very similar. i will give it a go and see if its the one I remember :D

kiwibubbles, Nov 20, 4:27am
hmmm that brandyh ice cream sounds good too though! lol. Wonder if you can have it without the honey!

kuaka, Nov 20, 8:07am
Annabelle Langbein:

3 eggs separated, 10 tablespoons caster sugar, 500ml cream, 2 tbsp boiling water.

Beat the egg whites with half of the sugar until very stiff, then in another bowl beat the egg yolks with the other half of the sugar and 2 tbsp boiling water, until thick and creamy, then in a third bowl, beat the cream, then carefully fold the yolks and the cream into the beaten egg whites.

raebee, Nov 20, 8:18am
both posted recipes sound very much like the alison holst one out of the dollars and sense cookbook which i used to make years and years ago.still have the recipe, but above posted recipes sound pretty similiar so probably not much point.remember it was yum tho :)

edit to say, by 'both posted recipes', i mean 2 of the posted recipes - the ones with eggs separated etc.

korbo, Nov 20, 8:47am
i also remember the one my mum used to make, having icey bits in it.
i am sure she used gelatine, and beat it twice. I have been searching for the recipe, but not found it yet. anyone have it.

guest, Apr 2, 10:37am
I'm quite pealsed with the information in this one. TY!