School Fair Recipes

very_hotpants, Nov 18, 1:35am
I am putting together a suggestion sheet with recipes for parents to use when baking for our school fair.

What are your tried and successfull recipes for cakes, slices, muffins and biscuits that would be suitable for a school fair and easy to make!

I also thought some Gluten Free, egg free and other allergy friendly recipes would be good. Thanks in advance for your idea and suggestions!

duckmoon, Nov 18, 4:13am
We always put the Russian fudge recipe in our newsletter

kelf1, Nov 18, 4:18am
I made yo-yosand put them in bags of ten and they sold well at our school fair.

kinna54, Nov 18, 5:09am
throw in this one. Old Edmonds job, but still makes the best choc chip biccies around. I often make them as huge size cookie time biccies, and sell at $2 each.
our local school usually has a "coffee shop/ cafeteria stall" set up in the school hall or staffroom, where they sell individual wrapped cookies, muffins, huge slices of cake at $2, bread rolls and hot tea and coffee. They make a mint this way, rather than selling individual trays of muffins etc, at 3 or $4. Posting underneath.

kinna54, Nov 18, 5:14am
Vanilla Biscuits
125g butter
125g sugar
Vanilla essence (few drops)
1 egg
225g flour
1tsp baking powder
60 gms choc chips *or more if you like*

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence together, add egg, then mix in dry ingredients.
Roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls.
Put onto greased trays and flatten with a forkor see *tip*
{tip, I flatten biscuits using a rounded bottom glass, lightly dusted in flour. It makes the biscuits a more even shape: no cracked edges, especially on the larger size cookies.}

Bake 15-20 mins at 190 deg C.

kinna54, Nov 18, 5:24am
and anyone can make these: Jo Seagar recipe:****NB to be PC with this: Just make sure that whoever makes them labels them due to nut allergy's in some kids******

Easy Peasy Crunchy Peanut Butter Biscuits

1 cup crunchy Peanut Butter
3/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 170degC
Grease a baking tray well with butter or margarine, or spraywell with cooking spray.NB** (even on non stick trays, or baking paper, you do need to spray or grease well for this recipe.)**

Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix or beat well together until combined.
Place rolled balls of mixture ontothe tray and flatten with a wet fork,leaving *plenty of room betweeneach biscuit* as the biscuits spread a lot.

Cook for 15-20mins until light golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes,
then remove from the tray/paper and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.

* Biscuits will crispas they cool down*

kinna54, Nov 18, 5:27am
Ps: Large slices of carrot cakes, and cup cakes, devonshire scones, are always a top seller in the coffee room.

duckmoon, Nov 18, 5:30am
I dont have great success cooking biscuits.

But can make the mixture easily.
So, roll the mixture into balls, but them into takeaway container, and instructions to freeze the mixture and the what to do when you want to bake them.

The recipe I use is Kiwi crisps (google is your friend), fifteen balls in container , with instructions, to freeze, then one minute on medium in microwave, the bake for fifteen minutes at 180 or until golden

chrisynz, Nov 18, 6:07am
truffles go down well. lolly cake

shellz213, Nov 18, 6:43am
When I worked on the cake stall at our school's recent Ag Day, lolly kebabs were a real money spinner!

prendy1, Nov 19, 5:31am
Honey crackle made with rice bubbles, a bonus is that it's gluten free.

very_hotpants, Nov 19, 11:29am
thanks - some good ideas here.
We also have a cafe set up that has donated cakes from a cafe that people can buy by the slice has well as scones with jam and cream.

duckmoon, Nov 19, 7:48pm
Sometimes we have a supermarket cake donated. That isn't what people are looking for at a school fair. And they don't sell.

BUT if cut into slices they do sell.

indy95, Nov 20, 12:47am
If you can organise one or two good bakers to bring in freshly baked items when the sale is under way the wonderful smell is guaranteed to attract customers and you can sell individual scones or muffins or anything you like for much more than you will get if they arealready packaged.