Rick Stein last night - Cucumber salad

l0ne, Nov 13, 9:08pm
Did anyone catch what he put into the salad! Was thinly sliced cucumber, tomatoes, Red onions! Coriander!Help me please. having friends to dinner tonight and that looked so refreshing to have with curry TIA

gilligee, Nov 14, 1:29am
Was that the one with pickled fish in it! Did not copy it down.

l0ne, Nov 14, 1:51am
I think it was when they made the fish head curry. He did long slices of deseeded cucumber, chopped tomatoes ,coriander and a couple of other things and served it as a side dish with the curry. Guess I will have to give up

davidt4, Nov 14, 2:11am
What country was he in!I've got his Far Eastern book and will look it up.There's no reference to fish head curry in the index.

elliehen, Nov 14, 2:23am
I checked the index of his older 1995 book, 'Taste of the Sea', and Fish Head Curry is not there either.neither is there a salad that approximates your description.

davidt4, Nov 14, 2:28am
x1
There is a cucumber salad that he serves with beef rendang.Is that the one!Cucumber, coconut, shallots, red chilli, coconut milk, lime juice, sugar.

l0ne, Nov 14, 2:44am
Sorry was walking the dog. he was in Malaysia. Sounds like it may be the one you are talking about David4. He did it so fast and I only realised how good it sounded when he finished it.I remember the chilli and the shallots so it must have been the one. I should have recorded the programme. Think I may need to buy the book.Thanks

davidt4, Nov 14, 3:21am
The book is great.There is a totally delicious modern Vietnamese dish of duck, star anise and orange juice that I could eat every night.

l0ne, Nov 14, 3:39am
Can remember when I met hubby 22 years ago and I was introduced to curries being fascinated by star anise. Living in the Hokianga my curry cooking can be very frustrating due to lack of ingredients. Trips to Auckland always include spice or ingredient shopping. I have seen some of your recipes and you obviously are an awesome cook.

davidt4, Nov 14, 5:04am
Thanks for the kind words IOne.It must be frustrating not having easy access to curry ingredients, although I guess the climate up in the Hokianga would enable you to grow things like curry leaves, kaffir lime, galangal, tumeric and maybe even the edible variety of ginger.

I think Khyber Spice Traders ("Spice Invaders") sell by mail order!Here is their web site:

http://www.khyberspice.co.nz/

macwood2, Nov 14, 5:45am
david4t - can you post the Vietnamese duck recipe please.Also the cucumber salad- only if you have time that it.Thanks.

griffo4, Nov 14, 7:43am
The Rick Stein programme we watched last night was in Spain not sure which channel maybe Prime!

davidt4, Nov 14, 9:01am