Sunbeam Mixmaster Compact Pro

roxursox, Nov 6, 8:00am
anyone have one of these and find it adequate for basic cake & biscuit mixing and making pavs !

I've been offered a brand new one for $75 but from the searches I've done on here most people have Kenwoods or Kitchenaids which are out of my price range even second hand if I could find one in my area.

Prefer stainless bowl option too not plastic like most of the older Kenwoods.

Like the idea of being able to remove the beater to use it handheld for smaller jobs too

My poor old Goldair electric hand mixer is just about knackered, still goes good but you have to press the beaters to the bottom of the bowl or they will fall out of their holes lol

and it's painfully slow beating pavs and pavs are what I love to make

I'll start buying a lotto ticket each week to hope and wish for that KitchenAid in the lovely dark burgundy colour to match my kitchen *sigh*

deus701, Nov 6, 8:03am

roxursox, Nov 6, 8:11am
looks great but way out of my budget unfortunately

haven't you got one of those yummy looking KitchenAids !

I think I remember your name coming up in one of the searches I did today

roxursox, Nov 6, 8:14am
even a 2nd hand Kenwood pasttisier (sp) is pushing it (they look nice in red)

anyone with an unused 30 yr old kenwood 700 or 900 series under $100 in good condition would be appreciated lolol

deus701, Nov 6, 8:23am
i was lookin at the bem800 .the retail was $749, and they had a $200 discount plus free electronic scales. I read on here its better to pay abit more and get a kitchenaid which is what I did. To be honest, I find the kitchenaid really hopeless in kneading bread dough. If you are not doing heavy mixing, a cheap hand beater is fine (i got an akai one from warehouse before the kitchenaid)

roxursox, Nov 6, 8:38am
that's exactly like the one I've been offered but not the actual one I've been offered ;o)

it would probably be a good starting point and I don't intend on making bread dough just basic cakes and biscuits, slices and pavs

sarahb5, Nov 6, 8:39am
I have one and love it - works perfectly fine for what I want it for, ie. general baking, whisking, etc.You can make bread with it although I haven't yet.I especially love the fact that I can use it as a hand mixer as well as a standalone (aka walk away) mixer as well.I got mine for $90 at Noel Leeming on sale - they are often that price at Briscoes as well

roxursox, Nov 6, 8:41am
I'm tired of having to stand there holding the beater beating for what seems like a lifetime that is why I want a stand alone mixer now specially for beating pavs

also after years of a job that involves long periods of time with my arms up and using my hands and twisting my upper back it get's a bit tedious holding a beater

roxursox, Nov 6, 8:44am
I was hoping you'd see my thread as it was your name that came up in my search today when checking out mixers.

Have you found you have to scrape the sides too much while mixing or that there is unmixed batter at bottom of bowl !

My old hand held beater is only 100watts power output so anything will be better than that lol

and the beaters keep falling out

wheelz, Nov 6, 6:51pm
On special at briscos for $99 this week !

cgvl, Nov 6, 7:36pm
I have an older version and its great. yes can put it on stand and walk away ie do other things especially as my pav is one you beat for 5mins. Hand held is great too, although mine being the older version its heavier than the new ones.
Was the cheaper alternative to the Kenwood at the time and did everything the Kenwood would do.

sarahb5, Nov 6, 8:20pm
I have got into the habit of using the spatula that comes with it to scrape around the sides while the mixer is running - its shaped to fit the sides of the bowl and works well - if you are using a hand mixer you have to stop and scrape it down anyway so this one means you can still do that with one hand and without stopping to do it.As I scrape down the sides I kind of scrape across the bottom of the bowl to make sure it's all mixed in as well.When I made a pav a couple of weeks ago I started it off using the mixer as a hand mixer until I'd got some volume in there, then put it back on the stand and left it to it.

roxursox, Nov 7, 7:55am
awesome thanks everyone

I bought the brand new unopened never been used one for $75 off TM. can't really go too wrong at that price unless it's a dud

will be looking forward to trying it out in the coming weeks when I get it home

if it's crap as a standalone then it will always suffice as a handheld which is all I know anyway lol