Sunbeam Pie Maker

eljayv, Dec 19, 3:56am
I have recently received one of these and followed instructions when I attempted to make a couple of small apple pies.I found that after only 3 or 4 minutes the pastry was very dark and burnt in places although the recipe book said cooking should be 6 minutes.Is there something wrong with my appliance or is this normal?I used shortcrust as suggested and wonder if I cooked them for less time would the pastry be cooked through.

kabbo, Dec 19, 7:05am
i have a sunbeam pie maker, but ive never had a problem with them browning too quickly. have left even a bit longer if anything. mind you i havent used 'sweet' short pastry, i have only used flaky or puff (one of these comes 'short') but cant remember which one.

purplegoanna, Dec 19, 8:02am
IMHO you cant make sweet pies in the piemaker using sweetshortcrust pastry..ive neva mastered it, i think because it locks in the moisture and the crust dosnt get a chance to dry as it would in a normal oven...i make savoury pies using puff pastry with great success

eljayv, Dec 19, 7:24pm
That is irritating because both recipe books that came with it recommended short pastry.They burned after only about 2-3 minutes and both pies on one side top and bottom had blackened patches and the pastry was cooked through and hard.Maybe I should phone Sunbeam and try to find out why the recommend shortcrust if this is normal.

disaway, Dec 19, 8:00pm
Phone Sunbeam sweet pies do need a less moist filling as noted but should not burn as you describe.http://www.sunbeam.co.nz/pages/Support/ContactUs.aspx

eljayv, Nov 18, 7:49am
Thanks disawayI will do that this morning.The filling wasn't runny I cooked the apple slices and just used them without any of the liquid and when I cut into the pies they looked great just too dark and black on outside and quite hard.