When do you make your Christmas cake!

diddlypop, Oct 27, 9:13pm
And how do you store it.In the past I have always made mine 10 days or so before Christmas as I was always scared the outside would dry out.

harrislucinda, Oct 27, 9:49pm
ialwaymakeminechchshowweekendIstorelinningpaperthatbakedin ,Inanoldcaketinnot theplasticcontainers asto day

cgvl, Oct 27, 11:54pm
I make mine anytime form begining Sept onwards. Has alcohol in it so stores well. I leave it in paper I lined tin with, then once it is cold usually a day or two after I have cooked it, I wrap in grease proof paper. Then in clean newsprint or brown paper if you have and finally in several layers of newspaper. Store it then in a cool dark place (cupboard) until I need it or want to ice generally a couple of days before xmas.
I don't store it in my pantry as I have found in the past this gets too warm in summer unfortunately.

wildflower, Oct 28, 2:30am
I'll do one from here (Pam's!) that I made last year using pineapple.It's got no alcohol so I made it a few days before xmas.

dorothy_vdh, Oct 28, 5:52am
starting mine tonight

gardie, Oct 28, 7:05pm
Traditionally (in my house), labour weekend.

dorothy_vdh, Oct 28, 8:28pm
gardie, I'm trying your recipe

spotswood, Oct 29, 12:43am
I make mine at the beginning of September then double wrap in greaseproof and tinfoil after feeding it with alcohol when it abit cooler from the oven.I put in a tupperware container and hide in the pantry till Xmas!

chebat, Nov 6, 7:30pm
I did my fruit on Sat, ran out of time to do it yest, it willbe ok to bake today!

cookessentials, Nov 6, 8:43pm
October. Made in wooden cake box. Wrapped in baking paper, then tinfoil and then a clean towel or tea/towel and stored in a cool dark place.

timetable, Nov 6, 9:45pm
got my fruit soaking in gingerale as i type.